New HT Electrical Needs Planning - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 10-27-10, 12:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: New HT Electrical Needs Planning

Quote:
merc wrote: View Post
Wayne is the best there is and will only charge you what it costs plus a fair expert/labor charge.
Are you confusing me with someone else? I’ve gone out and helped a few folks do some rear-channel speaker wiring, but I don’t recall ever doing any electrical work for anyone.

But hey, thanks for the kind words!

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 10-27-10, 12:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

My cousin is a licensed electrician and did the work.

Guess maybe my wording was wrong above. It was a double gang box with 2 duplexes in it. Outlets were daisy chained inside the box and then THHN run back to the box buss.

Bryan

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #13 of 16 Old 10-27-10, 12:15 PM
Banned!
merc

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

Are you confusing me with someone else? I’ve gone out and helped a few folks do some rear-channel speaker wiring, but I don’t recall ever doing any electrical work for anyone.

But hey, thanks for the kind words!

Regards,
Wayne
Err, well i guess I did misremember if you say so..... and I did the wiring myself for parts only based on your advice..... but I guess I should have suggested that to the new guy too? opps..... just trying to drum up some business for you instead I guess????

post #14 of 16 Old 10-27-10, 12:37 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Quote:
well i guess I did misremember if you say so..... and I did the wiring myself for parts only based on your advice.....
Ah - guess I misunderstood. I only gave you advice – that sounds about right. I thought you were saying I had done the work; that didn’t sound right!

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #15 of 16 Old 10-28-10, 08:49 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post

To further qualify, in typical residential construction where Romex is used, all circuits have their own ground wire run back to the service panel. In home theater, if a dedicated circuit has multiple outlets on the circuit, you can’t have a star grounding scheme without adding special wiring.

For the sake of anyone who doesn’t know, a “star grounding” scheme requires the ground lugs of all electrical outlets to have a dedicated wire run back to the service panel’s ground truss.

The rigid definition of a dedicated circuit permits only a single outlet for the circuit, so a dedicated circuit would (by default) also have a star grounding scheme. However in audio applications, both professional and residential, “dedicated circuits” carries a more generous definition. It typically refers to circuits that are “dedicated to the equipment,” and often multiple outlets are used for the “dedicated” circuits. This automatically negates a star grounding scheme, as it’s typical for all wiring to be “daisy chained” from one outlet to the next.

Star grounding a multi-outlet dedicated HT circuit would require additional wiring to permit the ground of each outlet have a home run wire back to the service panel. IOW, the grounds would not be daisy chained as they typically are. Since Brian mentioned star grounding with THHN, it sounds like this is what he’s done.

Regards,
Wayne
Good points on the definitions! There can be so many different people that have conflicting ideas about what they consider to be the correct definition. Sometimes when I write a response, I think if I put in too much detail the message will end up being a novel.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-30-10, 06:54 AM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

Hello,

I use 4 20a isolated ground circuits with hopital grade outlets. I use BX shilded cables. All on the same phase (different from room lights).

1 - Sub amps (2x RB 1080)
2 - main amp + sorround amp (1x RB 1080 + 1x RB 1075)
3 - Audio equipment (on a RLC-1040)
4 - Computer équipement and projector (on ups)

Jean-Pierre Imbeau