Where do I begin? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 11-24-11, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Where do I begin?

Hello,

I have a dedicated theater room in a new house I purchased and right now it is simply an empty room with raised riser in the back. I need to start somewhere. I run a company doing commercial integration work for medical and dental offices so I am familiar with most of the technology but not with best practices for screen sizes, distances, etc. The first step will be to have a front cabinet designed and rack space for the equipment.

I've attached a floor plan of the space. Where do I start? Where should I start reading to lay out this room.

the 1' 8" dimension in the front of the room really don't exist. There is nothing there, but would likely represent the front cabinets.

Thanks!

-jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-25-11, 12:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Brad

My System
Re: Where do I begin?

Hmm, to start with, how many people do you want seating for? and what % of use will be movies / music / gaming?

The # of seats will determine appropriate seating locations in the room, and based on that you can start thinking about screen size based on recommended viewing angles.

Here's a pic that may help with the latter (just a guide to get you started, don't treat it as a law - widths are based on a 2.35:1 screen, but heights apply to both 16:9 and 2.35:1 screens):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
post #3 of 22 Old 11-25-11, 06:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Actually, the first thing you need to decide is which end of the room do you intend place the screen?
we can then work from there..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-28-11, 12:00 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

There are a few of these early steps that can influence each other (screen size, seating distance, projector model, projector mounting distance, viewing angle, theatre capacity, etc.) so start with a general idea of what you want and then we can get more specific. If there are any specific criteria that are more important to you or specific goals, lay them out for us to work around. I think it seems to get easier as you go along and start making choices. Right now the options are limitless, so its easy to feel overwhelmed!

- OJ -

post #5 of 22 Old 11-30-11, 07:56 PM
Shackster
Ted

+1 for selecting the front of the room. Then select the seating and this plant your eyes and ears. A side sightline drawing will help establish riser height and screen height (so the second row can see the bottom of the screen).

You might want to reconsider cabinetry in front. The equipment displays can be distracting and you really don't want your center channel boxed in.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-08-13, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Bump a post from the past..

So, I am finally moving forward with some things here. Has only taken about a 1year of doing everything else in this house! The screen will be on the front wall, opposite the windows. The windows have blackout shades on them, so will have good light control.

I'd say that it will be for about 90% movies, 5% gaming and maybe 5% general TV, etc.

So, far I have the following equipment picked out..

- Marantz AV8801
- Marantz MM8077
- JVC X75
- Dalite HD Progressive 1.1 Screen (119" Diag 16:9)
- Paradigm Monitor 11 L/R
- Paradigm Monitor Center 3
- Paradigm Surround 3 for l/r surround
- Paradigm Surround 1 for rear l/r
- Paradigm Sub 10 (x2)

What I really need to decide out is how I will setup the screen wall. As of right now I was simply planning on mounting screen (it is not AT) on the wall, get some cabinet below the screen for equipment and center. I do like the idea of having a false to be able, but not sure if I really have the room?

My concern is also about the light loss due to AT screen? the JVC isn't super bright and I'd like to be able to watch some sports and have people over with it being a cave? This is why I went with 1.1 vs .9 on the screen.

About me: I am a software developer but also having a consulting company where I do IT and system integration work for commercial spaces (mainly dental/medical offices).

Thanks!
post #7 of 22 Old 03-08-13, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

. delete .

Last edited by jr219; 03-08-13 at 01:04 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-08-13, 12:54 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I would suggest making the far wall (with what appears to be windows) the screen wall. Next it looks like you have a double door entering the room at the right rear & appears to be recessed. I would convert this to a single door & use the remaining space to make an equipment room/rack. By the time you build a stage/cabnet, those doors will be problematic. And you still have the equipment issue. Which end of the room is the riser in?
post #9 of 22 Old 03-08-13, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I would suggest making the far wall (with what appears to be windows) the screen wall. Next it looks like you have a double door entering the room at the right rear & appears to be recessed. I would convert this to a single door & use the remaining space to make an equipment room/rack. By the time you build a stage/cabnet, those doors will be problematic. And you still have the equipment issue. Which end of the room is the riser in?
The riser is on that side of the room (window side).

Trying to get some photos up, will make the conversation easier.

-jr
post #10 of 22 Old 03-08-13, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Here are some photos of how the room sits right now.. If I flip it the door will come right into the riser? Really don't think it would work any other way.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do I begin?-right-wall.jpg  

Where do I begin?-rear.jpg  

Where do I begin?-left-wall.jpg  

Where do I begin?-front.jpg