Newbie trying to learn a little. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 12-05-11, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Newbie trying to learn a little.

Hello! I'm trying to get a hold of all the info in this forum. I'm seriously considering built a HT in one on my home room. The dimension is as follow:
W11,4'
L13,4'
H9,0'
In one lateral of the room are 3 crystal-aluminum window and in the rear of the room are another window. At the other lateral wall, I have a crystal corridor door. I know this is a mess in term of proper acoustic treatment.

My main concern are if this room I can achieve optimal or near optimal acoustic performance and how is the best way to cover the windows and the lateral crystal door. I truly hope that I can work something with this room. Also tomorrow I would take some picture of the room to produce some perspective of what are I talking about.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestion are welcome,

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-11-11, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Newbie trying to learn a little.

Those are the photo of the room. Notice the 3 windows and the crystal sliding door. I'm planing to cover the windows with a black out and then a curtain. The crystal sliding door with some kind of a covered sliding door or another curtain.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie trying to learn a little.-1.jpg  

Newbie trying to learn a little.-2.jpg  

Newbie trying to learn a little.-3.jpg  

post #3 of 10 Old 12-11-11, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I forgot to include the photo of the crystal sliding door.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie trying to learn a little.-1.jpg  

post #4 of 10 Old 12-11-11, 05:11 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

You will need more than just blackout cloth and curtains on those windows and door..They need to be covered with 2" thick acoustic insulation to control the reverberations in that room..What is known as a window plug, inserted into the window frames..

It is obviously a very lively room (acoustically speaking) and will need considerable treatment to get anywhere near an optimal acoustic environment..

If that is a hard ceramic tile on the floor, you will need at least a thick throw rug over it, otherwise you will have all sorts of reflections coming off that surface..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-12-11, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

What is a window plug? Where I can find example of it?.

I'm planning to put a thick rug in the floor. Also the glass door, what do you suggest? I'm thinking of change the glass door but I need to cover this area( it's a closet with many thing in it).

Thanks for your response.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-12-11, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

When google it the window plug I find this:

http://www.soundaway.com/window_plug_s/56.htm

Its pretty self explanatory.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-12-11, 08:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

I made mine a bit different than that..
I made a timber frame that fits inside the window frame, with a flange that extends over the window frame..
That way, no light can possibly enter the room..

Here are some shots of what I made..

The basic timber frame with perimeter flange..

The frame fitted to the window..

The frame was then filled with insulation and covered with black suede..
That is not the cloth in the photo, it's the facing on the insulation material..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-12-11, 08:30 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Simon (raZorTT) has an excellent example of a window plug in his build thread here:

Window Plug

If you want some ideas, I highly suggest reading his thread - it's a great build reference IMO.

post #9 of 10 Old 12-12-11, 08:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
pipegarcia wrote: View Post
Also the glass door, what do you suggest? I'm thinking of change the glass door but I need to cover this area( it's a closet with many thing in it).
That would be a good idea to replace the glass door...A solid timber door would be suitable..

Prof..

post #10 of 10 Old 12-13-11, 12:12 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I think our old house had sliding doors like that in one room, and if I remember correctly they were just made of basic thin (cheap) pressboard. One side had a mirror attached, and one side was covered with cork for a bulletin board. You could probably just (carefully!) remove the mirrors and cover the mess that you'll have with some 1/8" MDF or something and it will be easy to paint to match.

- OJ -