Dual purpose bonus room HT - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 42 Old 12-30-13, 09:39 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

Good progress, eyekode. And for the record, your rack looks like it would have come out great! I probably would have stuck with it, but maybe that's just me and my love of nice wood. Keep it up!

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 12-31-13, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

eyekode

Thanks the wood rack did turn out great! And I can always use the extra space so I am glad I have both!
post #23 of 42 Old 12-31-13, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

eyekode

A little more progress: I began the trim/crown lighting.

The plan is to run LED rope lighting around the perimeter of the soffit. Here is a cross sectional view:

I don't have any help so I built a simple jig to hold the molding at the desired height (1.5" up from the edge):

The molding was hung with brads first and then when everything looked good I used 15ga nails to make it rock solid.

After the molding went up I ripped some 2x4 stock at 38 degrees to hold the crown:

And here is where I am now:

I plan on painting the top of the ledge up to the ceiling in a flat white paint. Then I will hang the crown. But I am quite worried about all the inside corners. Most say to cope inside corners (of which I have 8 in this room!) but that would interfere with the LED light unless I also left some clearance for it.

This is also the first time I have done crown and I am a little worried that I will do a job trying to miter all those inside corners!

Wish me luck .
Salem

post #24 of 42 Old 01-11-14, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

eyekode

Some bad news . My washing machine flooded my downstairs and filled my HVAC with water. 80% of my hardwoods are ripped up. And all the stuff in the pantry has been moved into my someday-to-be-theater!

But I do have one progress update. I bought some 12v SMD5050 RGB tape light to play with. Mostly because I could not decide between white and soft white 120v rope light. And I am glad I did! I really like RGB control. Now I cannot decide if I want red or blue . And I don't have to! I will lose the cool dimming effect the Lutron provides for scenes but I will gain the ability to change colors on a whim.

And those SMD5050's are really bright! Only real downside is the 12v tape max length is 5M. So I need 3 tapes 18A at 12v (I will use 3 6A power supplies). And (at least) 2 data repeaters. This is much more wiring then just plugging in a single 120v rope. But the end effect should be really cool.
post #25 of 42 Old 01-11-14, 08:53 AM
Senior Shackster

Sorry to hear of the flood. Whats the electronic angle tool on your saw blade?

post #26 of 42 Old 01-11-14, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

eyekode

Google "Wixey wr300". Well worth the cost !!
Make sure your throat plate is dead level with the table too. Otherwise the accuracy of the angle finder doesn't matter!

Last edited by eyekode; 01-11-14 at 10:03 AM.
post #27 of 42 Old 01-11-14, 10:24 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
bamabum wrote: View Post
Sorry to hear of the flood.
+1 - hope you can get it squared away quick so you can get back to the theater...

post #28 of 42 Old 01-13-14, 07:35 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Looks like this build is coming right along. Look forward to seeing it all completed. Always great to see how creative people can be. Many a people have taken unique rooms, and created some very nice results. Keep up the great work, the enjoyment later will be well worth it.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
post #29 of 42 Old 01-13-14, 09:49 PM
Shackster

Neat go along pics. Almost makes me wish I had a house to do the same.
post #30 of 42 Old 01-13-14, 10:30 PM
Shackster

david yurik

Quote:
eyekode wrote: View Post
Wish me luck .Salem
holy mackeral you didn't mention you were a crown molding framing expert!! nicely done!

bummer about the flood. good thoughts your way.

dave

basement
AVR - Yamaha RX-V867 AMP 1 - Acurus 200X3 ( for the fronts ) AMP 2 - Behringer EP4000 ( for the subs ) AC FILT - Harbor Freight power strip DISPLAY - Hitachi 15 year old 57" 1080i
MAIN - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 CENTER - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 SURROUND - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SURROUND BACK - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SUB - Dual PSB 10" passive