Dual purpose bonus room HT - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 01-27-13, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
eyekode's Avatar
eyekode
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 267
Dual purpose bonus room HT

Unfortunately I don't have the space to build a dedicated HT room so I have to make some compromises.

I have never owned a projector so I am not 100% sure what to expect and I am looking for design/planning feedback.

My main requirements are to be able to use this room for both HT and as a room my wife can crash in after a long day. I realize these sound like they could be one and the same but I don't think she will like watching TV in the dark. I would like to be able to use all video sources on either Tv or projector but the surround sound only needs to work with the projector.

I also have 4 kids so we need quite a bit of seating. But I don't think they care as much as I do about sound.

My bonus room is ~16'x18' but has some slanted ceiling. There is currently a ceiling fan and I don't think I can get rid of it. I will however redo the lighting (remove the ceiling fan light and put cans in the ceiling). Projector throw will be ~16'. Here is an image of my current plan:






The screen is ~130" diagonal. This is the size needed to hide the window behind it. There are also a few other windows in the room but I will put up heavy blinds.

The Tv hanging on the wall is a 50" 720p plasma that I already have. It currently is our main HT TV.

The general idea is on most nights the room will be used as it is currently: a place to chill with the lights on.

On fri/sat nights it will be family movie time.

And during some afternoons the kids will probably want to play halo on the huge screen .

I plan on doing the following major changes to the room:
  • Remove ceiling fan light as it would interfere with the projector's path. Replace lighting with cans in the ceiling. Some locations will be challenging as the roof slopes and there is very little room above.
  • Relocate al of the AV equipment and run all wires through the walls. I am aiming for 7.2 sound. Note 3 sides are exterior walls .
  • Build a DIY screen and place it in front of an existing window.
  • Paint walls but not a terribly dark color.
  • I plan on buying a new receiver and blu ray player. Dual HDMI out would be nice but is there any real benefit to having it in the receiver vs buying a switch? Note my Tv is 720p but the new projector will be 1080p. I am not sure how this effects the HDMI out decision. What will the AVR choose as the output signal if it sees different capability displays connected?
  • New furniture. Although I have couch and a chase that I would like to work into the mix as they are comfy and in good condition.

Some things that are not worked out:
  • Do I care about 3D? One of my kids gets motion sick. Maybe he will like 3D? Maybe he will puke so none of us will watch 3D.
  • Which projector to buy? We will game on the projector so input lag matters. Otherwise I would be buying an Epson 3020. The new BenQ 1070 looks like a good fit but it doesn't have enough zoom for 16' placement. I may be able to swing the cash for a Panasonic AE8000 but that is really pushing it.
  • Where to put the AV equipment? There will be room under the screen for a low/wide cabinet (which I can make). There will also be room by the closet. I do not have room in the closet without moving an interior wall as it is very narrow. Plus I know there will be a n XBox and a blu ray player and I don't want them hard to access. Another possible placement location is by the closet. This is easiest to pull cables into from the attic.
  • Should I try an acoustically transparent screen? I can build the speakers into the screen this way and save some floor space and keep it neat.
  • Should I do a black widow screen and live with challenging center channel speaker placement?

Budget? Yes there is one . But I know it will be pretty expensive as we will be replacing/adding furniture as well.

Current equipment:
  • Pioneer 5070 plasma
  • BFD/Crown amp for my DIY sub
  • 5x DIY speakers but I don't mind rebuilding them to be on-wall designs.
  • VCR (yes I need to keep this )
  • HTPC running Win7 Media Center
  • HDHomeRun for pulling ATSC Tv

As for skills I can do the wiring, painting and cabinet making (I build furniture and speakers as a hobby).

I know this is a very long message with many questions in it but I do appreciate any/all input!
Thanks!
Salem
eyekode is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 42 Old 01-27-13, 10:39 PM
Senior Shackster
 
bamabum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Al A Bama
Posts: 327
Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

This look like a good plan. Any before pics?

I am going for the false wall but I can say that I haven't had any issues with the center being below the screen currently. The false walls do eat a lot of floor space as well. If you are on a budget you can build an awesome wall screen for < $100 and save the > $1000 (screen material and wall build out) AT screen for later.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bamabum is offline  
post #3 of 42 Old 01-28-13, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
eyekode's Avatar
eyekode
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 267
Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

Arg pictures of how the room looks today?!

Ok here is a panoramic:



The window you see is the one I will be hiding with a screen.

The whole room is currently oriented toward the wall with the closet where the plasma currently sits on my av cabinet (which will be getting the boot).

Thanks!
eyekode is offline  
 
post #4 of 42 Old 01-28-13, 10:26 AM
HTS Moderator
 
ALMFamily's Avatar
Joe
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,209
My System
Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

Quote:
eyekode wrote: View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the space to build a dedicated HT room so I have to make some compromises.

I have never owned a projector so I am not 100% sure what to expect and I am looking for design/planning feedback.

My main requirements are to be able to use this room for both HT and as a room my wife can crash in after a long day. I realize these sound like they could be one and the same but I don't think she will like watching TV in the dark. I would like to be able to use all video sources on either Tv or projector but the surround sound only needs to work with the projector.

I also have 4 kids so we need quite a bit of seating. But I don't think they care as much as I do about sound.

My bonus room is ~16'x18' but has some slanted ceiling. There is currently a ceiling fan and I don't think I can get rid of it. I will however redo the lighting (remove the ceiling fan light and put cans in the ceiling). Projector throw will be ~16'. Here is an image of my current plan:






The screen is ~130" diagonal. This is the size needed to hide the window behind it. There are also a few other windows in the room but I will put up heavy blinds.

The Tv hanging on the wall is a 50" 720p plasma that I already have. It currently is our main HT TV.

The general idea is on most nights the room will be used as it is currently: a place to chill with the lights on.

On fri/sat nights it will be family movie time.

And during some afternoons the kids will probably want to play halo on the huge screen .

I plan on doing the following major changes to the room:
  • Remove ceiling fan light as it would interfere with the projector's path. Replace lighting with cans in the ceiling. Some locations will be challenging as the roof slopes and there is very little room above.
  • Relocate al of the AV equipment and run all wires through the walls. I am aiming for 7.2 sound. Note 3 sides are exterior walls .
  • Build a DIY screen and place it in front of an existing window.
  • Paint walls but not a terribly dark color.
  • I plan on buying a new receiver and blu ray player. Dual HDMI out would be nice but is there any real benefit to having it in the receiver vs buying a switch? Note my Tv is 720p but the new projector will be 1080p. I am not sure how this effects the HDMI out decision. What will the AVR choose as the output signal if it sees different capability displays connected?
  • New furniture. Although I have couch and a chase that I would like to work into the mix as they are comfy and in good condition.
I like the layout you have come up with - comfy arrangement and none of the seating is locked to a wall where you could experience boomy sound. As far as the dual HDMI question, I am not sure - I would suggest posting that question in the receivers forum to get a more experienced opinion.

Quote:
eyekode wrote: View Post
Some things that are not worked out:
  • Do I care about 3D? One of my kids gets motion sick. Maybe he will like 3D? Maybe he will puke so none of us will watch 3D.
  • I also have a son who gets motion sickness easily (I do as well) - he does not like 3D as it does get to him. I would opt for no on a 3D projector.

    Quote:
    eyekode wrote: View Post
  • Which projector to buy? We will game on the projector so input lag matters. Otherwise I would be buying an Epson 3020. The new BenQ 1070 looks like a good fit but it doesn't have enough zoom for 16' placement. I may be able to swing the cash for a Panasonic AE8000 but that is really pushing it.
Sorry - cannot help here either as I did not research projectors that work well with gaming. Again, try posting in the projectors forum for more experienced opinions.

Quote:
eyekode wrote: View Post
  • Where to put the AV equipment? There will be room under the screen for a low/wide cabinet (which I can make). There will also be room by the closet. I do not have room in the closet without moving an interior wall as it is very narrow. Plus I know there will be a n XBox and a blu ray player and I don't want them hard to access. Another possible placement location is by the closet. This is easiest to pull cables into from the attic.
  • I personally did not like the idea of putting equipment below the screen as I was worried about the distraction of the lights while watching the screen. I would opt for by the closet for two reasons - out of direct line of sight for the screen as well as easiest to pull cables.

    Quote:
    eyekode wrote: View Post
  • Should I try an acoustically transparent screen? I can build the speakers into the screen this way and save some floor space and keep it neat.
  • While I love the look of a clean front wall (again, less distraction while viewing), in most builds I have seen you would need to allow about 3' behind an AT screen for speaker placement and I do not think you have that space available. I had to settle for a non-AT DIY screen as I did not have the room either and I have found that the speakers are not as distracting as I originally thought they would be.

    Quote:
    eyekode wrote: View Post
  • Should I do a black widow screen and live with challenging center channel speaker placement?
  • I do not know if you would need to go the Black Widow route - an OTS gray might work just fine. Mech and Harp are the experts there - check out the DIY screen forum.

    Quote:
    eyekode wrote: View Post
    Budget? Yes there is one . But I know it will be pretty expensive as we will be replacing/adding furniture as well.

    Current equipment:
    • Pioneer 5070 plasma
    • BFD/Crown amp for my DIY sub
    • 5x DIY speakers but I don't mind rebuilding them to be on-wall designs.
    • VCR (yes I need to keep this )
    • HTPC running Win7 Media Center
    • HDHomeRun for pulling ATSC Tv

    As for skills I can do the wiring, painting and cabinet making (I build furniture and speakers as a hobby).

    I know this is a very long message with many questions in it but I do appreciate any/all input!
    Thanks!
    Salem
    Looking forward to following along with a new build!


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    ALMFamily is offline  
    post #5 of 42 Old 01-28-13, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
    Senior Shackster
     
    eyekode's Avatar
    eyekode
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Apex, NC
    Posts: 267
    Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

    Looks like I need to break these questions into their appropriate forums .

    But as for the screen I think I could do an AT screen and use up only 6" or so deep. Something like this: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2JJgqPnTs

    I have all the equipment to measure and design speakers. So I am really only limited by the depth of the speaker basket. I will see what I can draw up.
    eyekode is offline  
    post #6 of 42 Old 01-28-13, 09:01 PM
    HTS Moderator
     
    ALMFamily's Avatar
    Joe
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Location: Madison, WI
    Posts: 7,209
    My System
    Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

    Quote:
    eyekode wrote: View Post
    Looks like I need to break these questions into their appropriate forums .

    But as for the screen I think I could do an AT screen and use up only 6" or so deep. Something like this: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2JJgqPnTs

    I have all the equipment to measure and design speakers. So I am really only limited by the depth of the speaker basket. I will see what I can draw up.
    Yeah, some of the more experienced people who really know the answers to those questions you posed do not frequent the Construction forum that often - it really is the best way to get answers to your questions a bit more timely.

    I had not read that thread before - very interesting! Seems like it would work depending, as you said, on the speaker design. Would definitely like to see what you come up with!


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    ALMFamily is offline  
    post #7 of 42 Old 03-27-13, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
    Senior Shackster
     
    eyekode's Avatar
    eyekode
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Apex, NC
    Posts: 267
    Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

    A little bit of progress:

    I bought an Epson 8350 projector and built a screen so I could get an idea of how it all fits in the space I have. I have watched quite a few movies with this setup and I am reasonably sure the room orientation and screen size will work.

    I also finished up a soffit design that matches the rest of my house aesthetically:


    I was thinking about putting some crown up to hold rope light:


    Next up I would like to figure out the lights. My first idea was adding recessed lighting to the soffit. One 6" can in each of the 4 corners. And two 4" cans between each of the larger cans for a total of 4x6" and 8x4".


    But I am afraid this plan would leave the center of the room dark. I am not sure if I will get any effective contribution from the rope lights.

    My initial thinking is to use a GRX-3106 to control the lights. The image above lists the different zones. The rope light is not pictured but it would be on a separate zone.

    This would allow me to setup the following scenes:
    1) Lights on: lights adjusted to give relatively even illumination through the room.
    2) Movie: Red lights off. Green/Yellow lights very low ~5%? Blue lights at ~10-15%.
    3) Pause: All lights up 20 ~25% or so.
    4) TV: Yellow lights off (as they are over the location of the TV) and all the others adjusted down to a comfortable level.

    This would leave me with one free zone. Maybe add two cans in the center of the room?

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Salem
    Attached Thumbnails
    Dual purpose bonus room HT-bonus_room_soffit_top.png  

    Dual purpose bonus room HT-bonus_room_soffit_rope_light.png  

    Dual purpose bonus room HT-bonus_room_lights2.png  

    eyekode is offline  
    post #8 of 42 Old 05-08-13, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
    Senior Shackster
     
    eyekode's Avatar
    eyekode
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Apex, NC
    Posts: 267
    Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

    It has been a while but I have made progress! I have the framing done and I am almost ready for my rough-in inspection.

    I can't believe I am going to show this but... a panoramic of the current condition:


    All the old furniture is in the middle of the room along with all kinds of other including a sleeping dog if you can find him .

    Here are some pictures of the soffit:



    The projector mounted using a Peerless PRGUNV (which I think is great!):



    The TV mount (a Monoprice unit that was ~18$ and it seems fine to me):


    I am using power bridges for both the projector and the TV. I am running the following to each display device:
    - 2 HDMI cables (one for a spare)
    - 2 Cat6 cables (to hopefully future proof. I will have to rip up sheetrock to pull cables again)

    For the TV I am also running one RG6.

    The wires I have pulled coming into the closet (I still need to pull speaker cables):


    I am also using a Grafik Eye to control the lights. I debated for quite some time how to do this install. I am not an electrician so I don't recommend you do anything I do . But just for grins here is the progression:

    To mount the masonry box I added spacers so I could screw it firmly on both sides.







    I bought a 6 zone QS version and the blue cable is PLEV for IR. Here it is ready to be hooked up. I think there is enough room and I have the bends right so it will not involve any forcing:


    As an FYI I tied all the neutrals and grounds together using these: http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-30-1034J...h+in+connector
    I wish I could have found the connectors that join 8 wires locally but oh well. I used 3 of these jumpered together for both neutral and ground.

    I plan on having it inspected on Fri. Wish me luck!
    Salem

    Last edited by eyekode; 05-08-13 at 09:34 PM.
    eyekode is offline  
    post #9 of 42 Old 05-09-13, 09:14 AM
    HTS Moderator
     
    ALMFamily's Avatar
    Joe
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Location: Madison, WI
    Posts: 7,209
    My System
    Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

    Great progress mate! Good luck with the inspection.

    Oh, and I found the sleeping dog!


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    ALMFamily is offline  
    post #10 of 42 Old 05-10-13, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
    Senior Shackster
     
    eyekode's Avatar
    eyekode
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: Apex, NC
    Posts: 267
    Re: Dual purpose bonus room HT

    Well I passed the rough in inspection . I powered up the circuit in my closet and that works well. Now on to getting the grafik eye into the box!

    PS: It looks like almost all circuits now require AFCI breakers. There goes another 80$ .
    eyekode is offline  
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Tags
    bonus , dual , ht , purpose , room

    Quick Reply
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now




    PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

    REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
    YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

    Username
    Password
    Confirm Password
    Email Address
    Confirm Email Address
    Random Question
    Random Question #2




    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

    Password:


    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

    ATTENTION!

    YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

    Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

    AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

    See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

    We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


    Email Address:
    OR

    Log-in










    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page



    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML is not allowed!
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

     


    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome