Foraye's Phase 3...or third upgrade. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 55 Old 04-16-13, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System
Re: Foraye's Phase 3...or third upgrade.

It was pitch black in there and the picture popped on the XD material. One thing I started to realize, was that I did not have enough adjustment in my DIY PJ mount. I started to fab up a shelf for it, but realized that I probably don't need to build everything from scratch (DIY-ITIS). I had just finished telling my friend helping me to " work smarter not harder!"...So I ran down to my Micro Center and picked up a universal mount finally.

I also wanted the flexibility of lowering the PJ if needed to get my Auto Zoom on the AE8000 to play nice. The new mount adjusts from 7"-17". The images below were zoomed to fit the 2.35 screen.

Shelf idea...the beginning and end (1 1/2" Aluminum Angle and a parted out Ikea coffee table)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by foraye; 04-16-13 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 55 Old 04-16-13, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

Next I turned to the ceiling above the screen... the plan was to add mass and then paint or cover with felt.

I ended up doing two sheets of 5/8" sheetrock covered with black felt...that definitely darkened things up and hopefully quiet things down some what. The previous screen wall had double 1/2" sonoboard and sheetrock behind it along with fiberglass insulation. It for the most part did a good job keeping the racket down. I forgot the labor involved pressing 5/8 drywall overhead and screwing it down...fun times. The good news is I didn't have any panels pull from the first few screws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 55 Old 04-16-13, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

I dont want to give the impression that most of this is "As Built", I'll post some of my sketchup... LOL

Stage

Room Layout

Basement Layout

post #14 of 55 Old 04-16-13, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

I neglected to price out Black Carpeting in advance. So went to HD and Lowe's ...non in stock and $7+ per square foot...

This is where the "Big" City comes in...I was in Philly and...got pointed me up to the north east to a carpet/flooring wholesaler. They had 3 brands of black ready to go...$0.79 per square foot!

I ordered 180 ftsq. cut into 2 lengths of 6' X 15' each...pick it up the next day as I didn't have my truck. Got some padding also...

I thought it would be trickier, but I had the stage done in about 90 minutes or so...

First I laid out the first 6' X 15' roll, and cut a 3.5" runner from it using scrap wood as a guide. The runner will be the cove below the lip of the Stage. I rebuilt the stage to have a 1.5" overhang. The original build was flush with the edge.

To accomplish this I ripped 2 strips of ply 1.5 inches wider than before...this effectively pushed the curved sections 1.5 inches past the edge of the stage.

With overhang...

Runner

post #15 of 55 Old 04-16-13, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

Next positioned the carpet just past the front arc of the stage and drove some screws to keep it from moving. I then cut the stage profile into the carpet, and removed the screws.

next I laid down some tack strips, and padding...on second thought, I'd probably not put tack strips at the front edge, and extend the padding around the lip.

All done!

Next step, I'll cut the remaining roll and lay it on top of the existing carpet behind the screen!...to create the Black Hole!

post #16 of 55 Old 04-17-13, 09:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Joe

My System

Looking good mate - keep up the good work!

post #17 of 55 Old 04-17-13, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Looking good mate - keep up the good work!
Thanks !!!

post #18 of 55 Old 04-17-13, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

here is the mostly completed front stage with the speakers back in place. I'm thinking about trim for the stage now...

post #19 of 55 Old 09-06-13, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

Ok I've got a few things done since my last post...

Screen Shot !

post #20 of 55 Old 09-06-13, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
foraye

My System

I decided to get myself a Kreg Jig and make some columns for my surround speakers...I'm loving that tool now!

The columns will be fabbed from 1 x 3 Pine (S4S) I think. I decided to use the 1 x 3 for the face frame and 1 X 6 for the column sides. The Kreg Jig made this sooooo much easier!

pocket holes for the column face frame

face frame to column sides

First column (lower section) mostly together

Couldn't resist...

The inner panel is made from 1/4 oak ply...

Top Section Fitted