The Garage Theater - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Re: The Garage Theater

Next: Building a riser, for a back row of seating, putting real furniture in the room, adding more effective paneling from GIK, and trying out many different speaker combinations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 10:02 AM

Ron

My System

What was the time frame from removing the original drywall to completion?

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #23 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Define "completion".

post #24 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

But seriously, from first blush "let's tear it down" to "the drywall is up and painted" it was a bit more than six months.

Could have been quicker if I paid for more help, or took more time off work, of course.

Add in building the riser, doing treatments, getting the furniture a bit better in order, etc etc, and you are closing in on a year.

And of course the tweaking never stops (for me).

But in my head and when people ask how long it took, I say I spent about a year putting it together.

Last edited by nathan_h; 02-28-14 at 10:27 AM.
post #25 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 10:37 AM

Ron

My System

Quote:
nathan_h wrote: View Post
But seriously, from first blush "let's tear it down" to "the drywall is up and painted" it was a bit more than six months.

Could have been quicker if I paid for more help, or took more time off work, of course.

Add in building the riser, doing treatments, getting the furniture a bit better in order, etc etc, and you are closing in on a year.

And of course the tweaking never stops (for me).

But in my head and when people ask how long it took, I say I spent about a year putting it together.
Thanks, You were posting up everything so fast I figured it had been completed for a while... I am just at the putting up the insulation stage and was trying to get an idea how long it would be till it is ready for my seating... We usually only work on it one day a week but when the weather is bad (as it has been we get a lot more days to work on it).

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #26 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Thanks, You were posting up everything so fast I figured it had been completed for a while... I am just at the putting up the insulation stage and was trying to get an idea how long it would be till it is ready for my seating... We usually only work on it one day a week but when the weather is bad (as it has been we get a lot more days to work on it).
Depending on whether you drywall / mud yourself or hire it out, makes a big difference (unless you are an expert already!).

Seems like a couple of amatuers can drywall a room to the point of painting it in five to ten days. A professional crew will do it in a day.

Depending on what you are doing for trim (molding) etc, that can add some time, too.

Here's the other thing I learned, that I didn't think was true: Keep the furniture and projector out of there as long as possible -- not just to keep it clean and safe, of course, but also to keep one focused on completion! I swear the second six months went so much slower than the first because it was finally possible to watch stuff in the room (albeit in a very low rent style!) and that was more fun that just plugging away at finishing things.

---

At some point, I'll "finish the story so far" in my posts, and then you'll see how long it takes to get to the next steps for me!

---

Anyway, with this rain we are having in NorCal right now and off and on for a few days, I guess you will have time to make even more progress

My problem is I need to buy some wood, and would need to transport it is an open vehicle... in the rain. And the wife is laid up with a bad back, so anything requiring two people is on hold.
post #27 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 03:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
nathan_h wrote: View Post
Here's the other thing I learned, that I didn't think was true: Keep the furniture and projector out of there as long as possible -- not just to keep it clean and safe, of course, but also to keep one focused on completion! I swear the second six months went so much slower than the first because it was finally possible to watch stuff in the room (albeit in a very low rent style!) and that was more fun that just plugging away at finishing things.
From when I started framing to when I got the drywall finished and painted and got the projector and couch in took almost 6 months. In the year since then... I've put in the sconces and built the riser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #28 of 76 Old 02-28-14, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Quote:
MrAngles wrote: View Post
From when I started framing to when I got the drywall finished and painted and got the projector and couch in took almost 6 months. In the year since then... I've put in the sconces and built the riser.
Exactly!

And maybe that's okay. But I am sure I am not the only person who said "I can resist".... and then didn't.
post #29 of 76 Old 03-03-14, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Adding the riser was a cool step (no pun intended). You'll notice that the room is built, and the riser it getting added into a fully built room.

You might think this was because it's easier (maybe for me it is, but that's another topic). You may think it was because it was an afterthought (it wasn't). But the real reason is that while I was building a room within a room and the building shares no common walls with anything, I still wanted to seal in the sound and seal out the outside world as much as possible, and building interior pieces into a completed room helped maintain those features of isolation.

Adding all the insulation to the riser helped keep it from becoming a drum.

LESSONS LEARNED: I should have researched how to make the riser into a bass trap. That would have been an almost free (other than effort) nice big bonus! I should have probably made it a bit taller, even though it was already a little close to the ceiling for tall people. And I should have made the riser one foot deeper (minimum) than the four I allowed. Reasons:

1. A basic theater recliner seat needs 5 feet for the user to raise their legs and have at least a foot rest, if not recline fully.
2. It turns out, after much more acoustic theory learning, my front row (head location) should be at 55% of the room for the least standing waves (68% is also an option but then there would have been no second row). For more about why this is, see Anthony Grimani's interviews on HT Geeks. If the back row riser had been another foot in size, my front row would have been in the PERFECT position! Yes, I can pull the front row seats forward, but that's a bit low-rent looking.

Speaking of things looking "low rent": PLEASE excuse the random furniture! I was working with what we had in the house that could be spared

post #30 of 76 Old 03-03-14, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Time to add some acoustic panels from GIK. They guys there were helpful with advice and recommendations.

LESSONS LEARNED: Even though a basic diffuser is twice the price of a absorbing panel, getting a similar amount of wall space covered in each type is ideal. I should have cut back on my absorption factor a bit in order to buy diffusion, even if it meant less overall coverage for while as the budget built back up.