The Garage Theater - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 76 Old 03-04-14, 12:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: The Garage Theater

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
When I asked Bryan about how much trapping I should do for low end, his reply was basically "you can't have too much low end trapping". I also looked into using the riser for trapping, but everything I read gave me the impression that if your riser did not extend from side wall to side wall, you should not use it that way. Unfortunately, that is the case with my riser...
Okay that's what I was thinking. I wanted to do the same thing but it didn't seem to make much sense to treat the floor that way. My riser is basically an island in the middle of the room. It makes more sense if it's treating a corner between the floor and a wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 76 Old 03-04-14, 08:51 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
nathan_h wrote: View Post
Yep, as long as you can avoid over damping the high end! That's why people use membranes over them etc, as I understand it.
Yes sir - I did that when I made my soffits into traps - they are faced with MLV that reflects above 200 Hz.

Quote:
That's interesting. I have never heard that. Maybe it won't be as effective. But I think it will still be a positive impact.

I mean, should I not use one of my GIK traps because it doesn't reach from floor to ceiling? No I think I should still use it, even though it only covers part of the corner.

But maybe there is something else going on with a riser trap. Do you have more details about that?

(Admittedly, mine is wall to wall, so this is a little academic, but it is an interesting call out.)
Been quite a while since I researched that - let me dreg through my brain and see if I can remember the details or where I found the info...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #43 of 76 Old 03-05-14, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Yes sir - I did that when I made my soffits into traps - they are faced with MLV that reflects above 200 Hz.
Cool. How big is your soffit? My understanding was one needs about a foot of depth to get below 200hz?

post #44 of 76 Old 03-07-14, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Over time, I cycled through a lot of speakers. Several iterations of Thiels, long time favorites of mine for music, powered studio monitors, Usher, Klipsch, Magnepans, Paradigm, etc. And several subs, HSU, JL Audio, Thiel, being the main ones. Of all those, the Thiel 1.6's in all locations, with a Thiel sub, was the best. But it wasn't ideal from a SPL and positioning standpoint -- especially the surrounds, to have floor standing speakers and a non AT screen.

I went with some in wall Thiel's for the surrounds for a while, which helped room ergonomics. But the move to higher capability speakers and an AT screen was inevitable. That's for later....

post #45 of 76 Old 03-07-14, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

At the same time, I knew that furniture was not ideal.

No offense to my friends who occupy the second row, but I focused first on the front row. Needed power recline AND, most important but most complicated, NO armest in the middle of the room. When I am watching solo, I want to be in the sweet spot. When I am watching with the wife, it's nice not to have an arm rest between you.

Finding a piece of furniture like that was harder than I thought. Sure all the manufacturers will sell you two seats without an armrest BUT there is still a nasty bump if you try to sit in the middle. My room is only 12 feet wide, and in order to have room to walk to the back row, and not sit too far off to the side, and allow the door to open properly (remember my LESSON LEARNED earlier about not placing the door where I did and not having the door open inward?), a two seat wide front row was ideal.

Eventually, I found a perfect seat. Except that I could not afford to build the second row seating from the same line -- so I pickup up a row of three seats on CL for row two. Not ideal, but no one complains

post #46 of 76 Old 03-07-14, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

These additions, plus a "discrete" setup in the corner for making music, and a turntable on the wall opposite the entry door, for serious listening sessions, meant that the world was almost "complete" for theater 1.0.

post #47 of 76 Old 03-07-14, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Next: Getting rid of the old speakers (last in the room were some excellent Magnepans, which were like fish out of water in this space), the original screen (still for sale by the way -- Stewart ain't as popular as it used to be), and revising the treatments to include some diffusion.
post #48 of 76 Old 03-25-14, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Okay the second hand Triad Bronze LCR are now in place. The bstock en4k screen has replaced the on wall screen. The Maggie's and Thiel sub are sold. Some temporary used Triad subs are in place, until Rythmik has the ported 15" ers in stock, and I have saved up enough! The Garage Theater-image-115717013.jpg Need to move the screen wall out a few more inches. Even these temporary subs won't fit well, and the real ones will be completely too large. Then it will be time to make panels for the top, bottom, and two sides -- to create a nice flat wall.

A wider shot, earlier. Note that these speakers were just temps for testing.

The Garage Theater-image-3431353990.jpg

post #49 of 76 Old 03-25-14, 10:33 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
These additions, plus a "discrete" setup in the corner for making music, and a turntable on the wall opposite the entry door, for serious listening sessions, meant that the world was almost "complete" for theater 1.0.

I see you have a Kimono too... Did you fill them with acoustic padding? We have Japanese silk material for Kimonos and we wrapped the acoustic pieces in it. We also put some in the main body part of a Kimono and some in the sleeves too.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #50 of 76 Old 03-25-14, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I see you have a Kimono too... Did you fill them with acoustic padding? We have Japanese silk material for Kimonos and we wrapped the acoustic pieces in it. We also put some in the main body part of a Kimono and some in the sleeves too.
No in fact my room is already bordering on too much absorption. I keep thinking I will build some diffusion because purchasing it is costly, but I may have to devote current budget to buying some diffusion. It's important.

The kimono (actually this is a costume for noh theater I think so it may be called something else) is just to break up the monotony of the black wall, in a place out of the way, visually, when watching movies.