The Garage Theater - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 76 Old 04-13-14, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Re: The Garage Theater

Well, since right now I am largely waiting for stuff (GOM to finish off the panels, the 8100 to replace the hole left when i sold the 4311, the second sub) I decided to get a head start on sub placement via REW's excellent modeling feature.

I decided to do some modeling, to get an idea of what I am looking at, since my second sub has not arrived.

REW now has a great modeling feature that lets you define room size, woofer location, listening location, etc.

I'm trying to optimize for three possible seating locations, all in one row. Sometimes it's two people, sometimes it's one -- and when it's one person, it's in the middle of where the two people seat.

Yes there is a whole second row of guest seating, and I'm not too worried about that.

Here we have the classic "put them in the front corners" approach. Note that the subs are actually about 22" deep, and I just let the software's default handling of them as 1' cubes take over for this first run.

Ugly. Horribly ugly? No, but surely we can do better. It doesn't even have good seat to seat consistency, so correcting is tough.

The advice most people provide, as a rule of thumb, is that 1/4 and 3/4 front wall placement is often a great place to start.

And it's not too bad, as you can see, but also not too great.

A variation on that is, to use 1/4 of the front wall, and 3/4 of the back wall -- though that is an effort to get row-to-row variation minimized, which is not my goal.

So without further ado, let's take a look at what the modeling software said would work best -- both in terms of seat to seat variation for the main listening row AND in terms of not having crazy dips (nulls) that are of course much harder to correct well than a few consistent peaks:

Just like the Harman research, it's mid wall placement, front and rear.

For the front wall, this is not too difficult.

For the rear wall, right now there is seating in that location. Looks like I may need to turn the center seat into a large, rumbling end table!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 04-18-14, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Got the GOM. Here you can see it on the 2x2' panels. That canning gear box in the background is what the GOM came packed in. Folded a lot, but I think the creases will work themselves out over time.

And then the "money shot": Can you tell which is the original GIK panel (absorber) and which is the newly constructed diffusion panel? Probably not too easily. Hint: GIK is on the left.

Seeing how closely they match, I feel like paying 2x the price of other acoustic fabric was worth it.

post #63 of 76 Old 05-13-14, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Need to take some more pictures.

Picked up Rythmik subs, one used local at 50% off, one bstock for a good discount. Have to send one amp in for service.

Tried both the nuforce avp 18 and the Emotiva 8100 (two of them in fact) but both were very finiky with HDMI handshaking. Thinking a Yamaha will have to suffice, even with its limited PEQ.

Sold off the maggie surrounds and replaced with a used pair of Bronze Triad surrounds.

Hung the panels and painted most blemishes on the walls.

Whew!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #64 of 76 Old 05-13-14, 08:20 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
nathan_h wrote: View Post
Need to take some more pictures.

Picked up Rythmik subs, one used local at 50% off, one bstock for a good discount. Have to send one amp in for service.

Tried both the nuforce avp 18 and the Emotiva 8100 (two of them in fact) but both were very finiky with HDMI handshaking. Thinking a Yamaha will have to suffice, even with its limited PEQ.

Sold off the maggie surrounds and replaced with a used pair of Bronze Triad surrounds.

Hung the panels and painted most blemishes on the walls.

Whew!
Are you using the same HDMI cable for all connections? I had HDMI problems on my current setup and when I switched to all Redmere cables the problem went away.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #65 of 76 Old 05-13-14, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Are you using the same HDMI cable for all connections? I had HDMI problems on my current setup and when I switched to all Redmere cables the problem went away.
Yeah that's important to check. I agree. It's often the main issue in such cases.

I now have quite a collection of cables. 15' redmere 18gbps (2.0 hdmi). 20 foot hi speed (1.4 hdmi). 20 foot regular -- actually two of them in different awgs.

The setup worked fine over the past five years with an onkyo, denon, marantz, and direct from the sources (eg, oppo blu-ray). None of them worked with the Nuforce and the Emotiva (though I could see the unit's own menu).

But they worked fine in the living room, with a six foot cable. Talked with a lot of support people and tried lots of stuff. No dice.

On to Yamaha...

I'd have kept the Denon 4311 but I really want manual PEQ. It had no trouble with any handshaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #66 of 76 Old 05-13-14, 10:58 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
nathan_h wrote: View Post
Yeah that's important to check. I agree. It's often the main issue in such cases.

I now have quite a collection of cables. 15' redmere 18gbps (2.0 hdmi). 20 foot hi speed (1.4 hdmi). 20 foot regular -- actually two of them in different awgs.

The setup worked fine over the past five years with an onkyo, denon, marantz, and direct from the sources (eg, oppo blu-ray). None of them worked with the Nuforce and the Emotiva (though I could see the unit's own menu).

But they worked fine in the living room, with a six foot cable. Talked with a lot of support people and tried lots of stuff. No dice.

On to Yamaha...

I'd have kept the Denon 4311 but I really want manual PEQ. It had no trouble with any handshaking.
I had all good cables too ( they worked fine until we moved into our current home... no equipment changes at all), but I had sporadic HDMI hand shakes (current home). I would try to get all the HDMI cables of the same brand, and model if possible. If you have a bad Redmere cable... Monoprice has lifetime warranty on them.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #67 of 76 Old 05-13-14, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I had all good cables too ( they worked fine until we moved into our current home... no equipment changes at all), but I had sporadic HDMI hand shakes (current home). I would try to get all the HDMI cables of the same brand, and model if possible. If you have a bad Redmere cable... Monoprice has lifetime warranty on them.
Cables (all four) are fine with all the other sources and processors. Never have a single handshake issue with any of them. Just the one processor platform.

In fact, watching another movie in five minutes on the setup right now. No problems

post #68 of 76 Old 09-13-14, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

Getting a little cleaner. These photos are before adjusting the side surrounds, adding rears, and adding curtains beside the screen.

Next step is to finish handing four more diffusion panels on the ceiling.

Then more photos....

post #69 of 76 Old 09-13-14, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

....and in the interim, time for better acoustics. Set up REW (beta 22) on the mac air, plugged in the cross spectrum mic, got the display port to HDMI dongle going, and did a sweep without EQ for all channels, smoothed to 1/6th's....

post #70 of 76 Old 09-13-14, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
nathan_h

and the waterfall. other than running the bass 3 db hot, this is what the room measures like.