Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater Design and Construction (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   my wife kicked me and my speakers out of the living room! (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-design-construction/66874-my-wife-kicked-me-my-speakers-out-living-room.html)

baconperfume 04-11-13 08:29 PM

my wife kicked me and my speakers out of the living room!

so i am looking in to a room 12'x 8' x8' brick all around currently no ceilling, is these even possible? i have more than enough heavy drapes to cover every single wall.

phillihp23 04-11-13 08:54 PM

Re: my wife kicked me and my speakers out of the living room!

Anything is possible, results may vary.:D

cavchameleon 04-11-13 08:54 PM

How do you have 'no ceiling'? Is there roof but with open rafters and no insulation? Just curious as you may need to put something up their to control the temperature.

As for the 'all brick', you'll need to do acoustical treatments. That will be an extremely live room, especially in the bass.

chashint 04-12-13 01:37 AM

Bummer.
Any chance you can sneak the stuff back into the living room?

bpape 04-12-13 08:38 AM

Full drapes will just take all the life out of the upper mids and highs and leave the bass out of control - even moreso since the walls are brick and won't flex like more standard construction.

Bryan

AudiocRaver 04-12-13 08:56 AM

291 Attachment(s)
Quote:

baconperfume wrote: (Post 605266)
so i am looking in to a room 12'x 8' x8' brick all around currently no ceilling, is these even possible? i have more than enough heavy drapes to cover every single wall.

A criminal offense! Try flowers. I always get good mileage out of antiques with my wife.:bigsmile: Sometimes pouting helps.:devil:

hjones4841 04-12-13 09:00 AM

Now you can have a "my room." I have one of those. I tell my wife that the rest of the house is hers, but that room is MINE, MINE, MINE:) Décor is all black, nearly wall to wall speakers, man sized recliners, bass traps galore, you get the picture.

So, count it as a blessing, our friend. Better days ahead:D.

AudiocRaver 04-12-13 09:22 AM

291 Attachment(s)
Quote:

hjones4841 wrote: (Post 605376)
Now you can have a "my room." I have one of those. I tell my wife that the rest of the house is hers, but that room is MINE, MINE, MINE:) Décor is all black, nearly wall to wall speakers, man sized recliners, bass traps galore, you get the picture.

So, count it as a blessing, our friend. Better days ahead:D.

A glass-half-full kind of guy. And yes, the A/V-man-cave can be a wondrous realm, no WAF to be considered. GO FOR IT!

cavchameleon 04-12-13 09:51 AM

Quote:

AudiocRaver wrote: (Post 605387)
A glass-half-full kind of guy. And yes, the A/V-man-cave can be a wondrous realm, no WAF to be considered. GO FOR IT!

Agreed!

Tap into Bryan's knowledge on acoustical treatments. That room will need a LOT of bass trapping, but once done you'll have YOUR Man Cave.

ALMFamily 04-12-13 10:04 AM

I am with the rest of the guys on this - take it and run with it. If you want to make her feel like she is a part of it too, let her pick the color of the blankets you put on the chairs - everything else is black! ;)