Epson TW-2000 (PRO UB) review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 43 Old 03-30-08, 08:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Epson TW-2000 (PRO UB) review

Quote:
blaser wrote: View Post
Do you know of any Samsung BD player that does VS now?
Well now I'm totally confused about the VS facility on the Samsung BD players..

I was informed some time ago that their BD players would be retaining the VS facility, but I've just checked with a technician at Samsung, to find out which BD players have it, and he tells me they don't have VS..
Mind you, I don't place much credence in what he said, because he didn't even know what EZ-View (the VS feature on their SD players) was..

However, I wasn't planning on buying it for that feature, because the Optoma projector I'll be updating too, has VS..

If you're not planning on any time soon to convert to CIH..then any of the players you mentioned should be fine..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 03-31-08, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

I think no BD player to date does VS. Future Oppo is the only hope!

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #23 of 43 Old 04-04-08, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Re: Black Bevel enhancement

Hello guys!

As I had pointed out few posts above, I have painted my room very dark grey. My room is now a bat cave. I had some complain with black level and brightness that seems to be a bit high. Indeed I was correct about darkening the white ceiling and yellow walls first before adding a ND2 filter or changing to a "darker" screen.

The result: Night and day. I would not be exagerating if I told you I can't find a difference with my eyes between the blacks of my CRT and the TW-2000, whereas the TW-2000 appears to my eyes to have more dynamic range and CR than my CRT :raped:.

The very dark bat cave sucks about the extra brightness that bothered me, and light is not reflected anymore on the screen which leaves the opportunity to the screen to "produce" (it doesn't) the deepest blacks.

I will make an analogy with sound frequency response: Bass standing waves tend to sound boomy and muddy. Now dark walls are like standing waves have been removed by adequate room treatment/equalizing. There is much more quality to bass which seems about right without boominess or single note.

Forgot to mention brightness is about correct now, but still plenty, which leaves room to a lower gain screen and blacks bars would then be lost with the screen borders :raped:

I am tempted to say if you have a bat cave "decrease my screen recommendation above by 5" for each size category". I will also edit that post to add this opinion.

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:

post #24 of 43 Old 04-16-08, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

my projector has now more than 150 Hours. I am really surprised Brightness has been reduced by a noticeable amount. For movies, I really am happy with my Carada BW screen at 106" size now. To be honest I had thought I would need to change my screen material to be a unity gain, but at this point and only after 150 Hours, I doubt I will ever consider that.

My screen recommendation will be again changed to reflect what I hope (and think) is the steady state of the projector brightness.

ASME AI
Important HT proverbs:

post #25 of 43 Old 04-16-08, 07:14 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
my projector has now more than 150 Hours. I am really surprised Brightness has been reduced by a noticeable amount..
Ahmed..Are you saying that you've been able to reduce brightness, or has the lamp dimmed after 150 hrs.?

Prof..

post #26 of 43 Old 04-18-08, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Sorry prof. for my delay in replying... I was sick and just restarting slowly

Indeed I felt the projector dimmed just a little bit (to my eyes), I am watching it easier on my screen compared to the very first hours. Also painting my room had a huge impact on PQ and perceived CR seems higher, blacks are much blacker (even on my BW screen).

I know perceiving a dimming of the lamp after 150 Hours seems weird and probably ironic... (Am I just getting used to the brightness?...).

To cut short all this "imagination", I hope (and expect) it won't be long before I have some calibration and measurement gear. I promise to then measure brightness every 150 Hrs and report (only for you! )

ASME AI
Important HT proverbs:

post #27 of 43 Old 04-18-08, 07:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Also painting my room had a huge impact on PQ and perceived CR seems higher, blacks are much blacker (even on my BW screen).
Did you paint your room after installing the new projector? This could change your perception of the brightness..

Quote:
I know perceiving a dimming of the lamp after 150 Hours seems weird and probably ironic... (Am I just getting used to the brightness?...).
Personally, I doubt that would be the case..I do hope that you haven't got a faulty bulb!

Quote:
To cut short all this "imagination", I hope (and expect) it won't be long before I have some calibration and measurement gear. I promise to then measure brightness every 150 Hrs and report (only for you! )
.Hopefully, there won't be any change over the next 150hrs..

Prof..

post #28 of 43 Old 04-19-08, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Yes, I painted my room to a neutral dark grey. I have lost a lot of unwanted brightness but gained a lot of contrast. I made the painting about 10 hours only on the bulb because blacks were not as deep as I wanted and I needed to kill reflections.
I have the impression the bulb dimmed a little bit after 150 Hrs, but that is pleasing as brightness is now exactly as I like. I don't think it will dim again anytime soon.
I will buy some equipments and take measurements...

ASME AI
Important HT proverbs:

post #29 of 43 Old 04-24-08, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

I have received sample of all Carada screen materials today. Just to confirm my impressions, HCG material has excellent blacks but too much losses in whites. I also had the impression colors shifted a bit, therefore size I fount it unsuitable for my screen ...Whites were too grey, and overall brightness got quite a hit.

The unity gain screen and the BW (1.4 gain) are both very very nice to my eyes and balanced in my setup. Anyone does fine. The difference is subtle... I found the unity gain screen to be very slightly better as far as blacks are concerned, and whites were still white, but will I change the screen material? NO...The BW is also excellent, not to mention I only have a little less than 200 hours on the bulb.

Hope this helps.

ASME AI
Important HT proverbs:

post #30 of 43 Old 05-10-08, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

My parents visited me at home yesterday. FIY, I have upgraded to Blu-ray last Sunday (60 Gb PS3). It is hard to impress them as generally they do not mind so much quality of movies but the plot. Indeed, they were very impressed.

I first showed them slides of my daughter's pictures since her birth till date, and quality was very nice despite the huge size of the pictures. They enjoyed them a lot!! Then we watched some scenes of Ice Age 2 on BD and they were blown away by the sharpness and colorfulness of that movie!

Some scenes of King Kong on DVD followed and it just looked great (very good movie for FP demonstration).

BDs look better than DVDs, but DVDs can look extremely good in a good setup, so I won't be changing all my collection to BD.

I would like to buy Planet earth on BD... Does anyone have it? I watched the first Disc on DVD but PQ was not good. Is it different on BD? Pls advise!

ASME AI
Important HT proverbs: