Switching Between 16:9 and 2.35:1 - Is an Anamorphic Lens Required? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-16, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Switching Between 16:9 and 2.35:1 - Is an Anamorphic Lens Required?

We're buying a new house and we get to start from scratch with our finished basement - home theater; here we come! So as per usual I am doing my homework now - we move in a couple of weeks but likely won't get started on the new HT for another couple of months or more, so no better time than now to start my research.

I've done just about enough reading thus far to really mess my head up - projector specs, lens shift, focus memory, anamorphic lenses, need to clear some things up before I can move forward. So, if I wanted to go for that true theater experience, picture-wise, I'd likely go for as big a screen that makes sense in my space - maybe curved, if that makes sense - and for movies I'd surely want to be able to display that 2.35:1 aspect ratio without black bars on the top and bottom. Some viewing would be HDTV from cable, or gaming, so 16:9 would be used from time to time (I could use curtains to crop the sides of the screen when viewing 16:9) but I'd really like to have no unusual stretching or compressing (or any picture distortion for that matter) when going from one aspect ratio to the other.

How can I do this within a reasonable budget? By reasonable I mean up to $3k for the projector, and if a lens is required to get that true anamorphic thing going, then, well, I reckon I'd have to budget another $2k - $3k for that anamorphic lens, no? So maybe around $5k total for this light-throwing machine.

Not even talking about a screen yet - still need to get hard measurements on the new space and measure ambient light and such - lots to do still, but wanted to know how to go about getting the best of both aspect ratios - doing it the right way - and keeping the $$$ under control. Looked at Epson already, but still don't know enough about projectors to speak intelligently yet, so I will start with the questions above.

Living Room: Sony XBR55X850B | Denon X2000 | L/R - Chane A1's | Gaming - Xbox One and 360

Basement: Denon 4520CI | Oppo 103D | L/R - Chane A5rx-c | Subwoofer - PSA S3000i

HT Build in initial design phase - expect lots of questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-16, 09:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Switching Between 16:9 and 2.35:1 - Is an Anamorphic Lens Required?

Just get a Panasonic AE8000u as it automatically switches between the two modes (some setup required) anamorphic lenses cost a lot if you want a perfect lens and you loose light output going through the lens. Just not nessisary these days.
A curved screen is pointless unless you are getting into the super large sizes like in the theatres.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 6 Old 03-24-16, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

That's a nice unit at a great price! Are there others like this at around the same price point, or does Panasonic make the only one like it? At only $1700, this frees up a lot of $$$ for a nice screen and maybe some room treatments!

Living Room: Sony XBR55X850B | Denon X2000 | L/R - Chane A1's | Gaming - Xbox One and 360

Basement: Denon 4520CI | Oppo 103D | L/R - Chane A5rx-c | Subwoofer - PSA S3000i

HT Build in initial design phase - expect lots of questions!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-24-16, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I believe JVC has one or two that do this also but I think they cost much more but you get what you pay for. Another option is the high end Epson (not sure model) I believe that you can manually set up a zoom that works. Someone else Im sure can chime in on this.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-17, 10:49 PM
Shackster

The Epson 5040UB has a feature that lets you switch between those aspects I believe by using a motorized lens and memory settings.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-04-17, 11:23 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Quote:
JimSocks wrote: View Post
The Epson 5040UB has a feature that lets you switch between those aspects I believe by using a motorized lens and memory settings.
Correct ...I own the 5040 and it is a superior product in this price range ....The PQ in HDR mode is stunning....