Budget Projectors? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Re: Budget Projectors?

^ Seems like a cheap, simple alternative to a store bought dedicated screen. Question is.. for around 80-120 bucks I can find electric/pulldown/spandex screens all over amazon. How cheap was it to put yours together? Might be easier just to order something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 06-06-16, 12:10 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
jamesfrazier wrote: View Post
^ Seems like a cheap, simple alternative to a store bought dedicated screen. Question is.. for around 80-120 bucks I can find electric/pulldown/spandex screens all over amazon. How cheap was it to put yours together? Might be easier just to order something.
You can get the melamine-coated sheet for $20-$25, and the framing could probably be about the same. The question is whether or not you have the necessary tools. At minimum, you'd need a miter saw, though I did mine with a miter saw and a dado blade on a table saw.

So, if $80-$120 is for a ready-to-use product, it might still be cheaper than purchasing additional tools.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-06-16, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
You can get the melamine-coated sheet for $20-$25, and the framing could probably be about the same. The question is whether or not you have the necessary tools. At minimum, you'd need a miter saw, though I did mine with a miter saw and a dado blade on a table saw. So, if $80-$120 is for a ready-to-use product, it might still be cheaper than purchasing additional tools.
I don't currently have any tools at my house up here. I may just do a plan melamine sheet. Try and make sure it's as flat as possible, and just leave it at that. Your idea seems awesome for a budget theater. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference or as suggestions to others. I love a cheap simple fix like that!

post #14 of 28 Old 06-06-16, 05:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
I don't currently have any tools at my house up here. I may just do a plan melamine sheet. Try and make sure it's as flat as possible, and just leave it at that. Your idea seems awesome for a budget theater. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference or as suggestions to others. I love a cheap simple fix like that!

Well, lacking tools, here's what I'd do:

Mount the screen on 3/4" blocks just to keep it off the wall. Countersink your screws if you can. Once that's done, put a 2"-3" matte black border all the way around your screen with gaffer's tape, which will also serve to hide your screws. It'll cost about $20/roll, but you'll have a bunch left over and it's incredibly useful stuff. Guitar Center or someplace like it will have black gaff tape, but if you don't have one nearby you can get it on amazon.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-06-16, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
Well, lacking tools, here's what I'd do: Mount the screen on 3/4" blocks just to keep it off the wall. Countersink your screws if you can. Once that's done, put a 2"-3" matte black border all the way around your screen with gaffer's tape, which will also serve to hide your screws. It'll cost about $20/roll, but you'll have a bunch left over and it's incredibly useful stuff. Guitar Center or someplace like it will have black gaff tape, but if you don't have one nearby you can get it on amazon.
You're the man, man. Thank you so much for the tips and ideas. I'll come back and post pictures of I ever get around to getting this done.
post #16 of 28 Old 06-07-16, 08:45 AM
Tim

My System

Another option for the frame is to get some of the tongue and groove boards from Lowes or wherever. That's what I used, just had them rip off the tongue part at the store because I didn't have a saw at the time. I bought a miter box kit for $10 and use it to cut the corners at 45 degree angles, then used some metal corner brackets to screw it all together. You can have them cut a French cleat out of a piece of 1x4 too if you want to hang it that way. Just cut it in half lengthwise with a 45 degree angle. Mount one side to the wall and the other to the back of the frame.

I've also used a couple of aluminum transition pieces found in the flooring department to hang stuff. Just screw one piece to the wall, hitting the studs, and the other to the back of what you want to mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 28 Old 06-07-16, 09:04 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

I wouldn't be afraid of using either of those projectors as an inexpensive gaming display. When I started up my dedicated HT in 2006 my budget was $2K or less for the projector. I bought the Panasonic PT-AX100U and it was excellent for gaming. My son who was 9 years old at the time used it all the time with his friends and over the years - 7 of them to be exact - put thousands of hours on the projector. I still have it as a backup PJ. I was projecting it on a 120" screen that I made myself. Just purchased the 1.0 gain screen fabric and assembled the frame myself. Still using that screen today with the replacement Sony projector I purchased 2 years ago.

It appears the specs on either of those PJ's you are looking at are similar to the AX100 or better. Just need to make sure the response time is good enough for your. The Panny was very good and no complaints from any of the gamers that used it and they were hardcore. All of them in college now..... But none of them making a living playing video games.
post #18 of 28 Old 06-07-16, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

There is a 100 inch motorized screen on amazon for sale with great ratings for only 75$. I just cant beat the cost/convenience on that so I believe I will be going that route.
post #19 of 28 Old 06-07-16, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
J&D wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be afraid of using either of those projectors as an inexpensive gaming display. When I started up my dedicated HT in 2006 my budget was $2K or less for the projector. I bought the Panasonic PT-AX100U and it was excellent for gaming. My son who was 9 years old at the time used it all the time with his friends and over the years - 7 of them to be exact - put thousands of hours on the projector. I still have it as a backup PJ. I was projecting it on a 120" screen that I made myself. Just purchased the 1.0 gain screen fabric and assembled the frame myself. Still using that screen today with the replacement Sony projector I purchased 2 years ago.

It appears the specs on either of those PJ's you are looking at are similar to the AX100 or better. Just need to make sure the response time is good enough for your. The Panny was very good and no complaints from any of the gamers that used it and they were hardcore. All of them in college now..... But none of them making a living playing video games.
Very happy to hear this. I am by no means a tech guru, but I know not to expect hdmi tv quality.. But as long as it throws a decently bright picture at 100'' we will be plenty happy. I had a fear everyone on here would bash the idea of going for a cheaper product but the consensus is it'll do jusssst fine. Thank you for the input.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-07-16, 05:51 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Very happy to hear this. I am by no means a tech guru, but I know not to expect hdmi tv quality.. But as long as it throws a decently bright picture at 100'' we will be plenty happy. I had a fear everyone on here would bash the idea of going for a cheaper product but the consensus is it'll do jusssst fine. Thank you for the input.
I am ALL ABOUT the cheaper product, provided it does the job you want it to do. Have fun!