Budget Projectors? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Budget Projectors?

I'm looking for a cheap temporary projector to go in our living room. It will be hooked up to my Xbox one, and 2.1 set up. I want to stay around 300, mainly because I have roommates who want it in the living room to share and want to spend no money, so this will only be a temporary as I will be leaving soon. So I will just end up leaving the projector behind for them to keep and upgrade later at my new place.

I'm thinking http://m.ebay.com/itm/ViewSonic-PJD5...576?nav=SEARCH

Or the

http://m.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp...u=V11H554220-N

Do you think either of these will be tolerable in a very dark room on say a 100' screen? Maybe 120? You don't have to go in detail about stats, I have the basic understanding, I have just never owned a projector so I have no idea if these will even tolerable. If not I'll just go pick up a cheaper 42 inch led somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 09:12 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Budget Projectors?

Neither projector is going to give anywhere near the image quality of the dedicated TV given they don't support true 1080p resolution (they are only 1280 x 800). When you say a dark room will it be compleatly dark or will some light be in the room. Those projectors are not very bright (the contrast readings are way out to lunch) can you try one out and return it if you don't like it? What will you use for a screen?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Neither projector is going to give anywhere near the image quality of the dedicated TV given they don't support true 1080p resolution (they are only 1280 x 800). When you say a dark room will it be compleatly dark or will some light be in the room. Those projectors are not very bright (the contrast readings are way out to lunch) can you try one out and return it if you don't like it? What will you use for a screen?
Like I said I know and understand what each projector is capable stat wise.. Just never owning a projector I don't know if 1280x800 is doable, or if 3200 lumens is bright enough, know what I mean?

The room and be almost completely black few gaps her and there at the Windows but for the most part, it'll be plenty dark enough.

I will either paint a screen myself, or order a cheaper one and make my roommates split the cost. That will be my next question.. As I am unaware of the best/cheapest options here.

I know you guys are used to just telling us to save up a few more days and buying one worth the extra 2-300 bucks, but being in college and having roommates unfamiliar with audio/video, they won't budge on wanting to spend 1-120 each. Plus they are like amazon reviewers. I guarantee as long as it's decently clear they will be wowed based on size alone not knowing what an amazing projector is actually capable of.

post #4 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Well, normal tv is 1920x1080 so 1200x800 is a lot less pixels and given you will be blowing up the image to fit your desired 120" screen it's going to be grainy. Paint is not ideal particularly if your going to be going with an inexspencive projector. Have a look at Jamestown screens http://www.jamestownhometheaterscree...ector-screens/
I would not go larger than 100" or the projector will need to be placed at least 15ft back from the screen to get that big and you will loose a lot of its output.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #5 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
Well, normal tv is 1920x1080 so 1200x800 is a lot less pixels and given you will be blowing up the image to fit your desired 120" screen it's going to be grainy. Paint is not ideal particularly if your going to be going with an inexspencive projector. Have a look at Jamestown screens http://www.jamestownhometheaterscree...ector-screens/ I would not go larger than 100" or the projector will need to be placed at least 15ft back from the screen to get that big and you will loose a lot of its output.
Yeah the loss of pixels is huge.. Just didn't know how bad it would look. I honestly don't mind going 80 inches if that helps a lot. I have to go through and research mounting as well, not to sure on distances to screen size ratios yet, or how much you can adjust/zoom. A lot to look into, just mainly hoping one of these options for light viewing will be tolerable.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 06:38 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I've been running on a 1280x800 (BenQ W700) projector for a few years, with a 96" screen. The image quality is perfectly fine, though I'm certain a bigger/badder projector would be better. But since you're buying this and then leaving it behind for roommates that don't want to contribute to the cost, I'd say if they're going to complain about it you should take it with you when you leave just to spite them.

As for cheap screen options, if you cut a sheet of melamine coated MDF to 7'4" long, you'll have a nice even white screen at 16:9. Is it the best you can do? No... but it's good enough and it's dirt cheap.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 07:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I can see the draw of going to a screen for gaming. Yes an 80" would be better. I'm sure you would be happy. Just get the vewsonic as I believe that the DLP won't suffer from lag like the LCD will.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #8 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
I've been running on a 1280x800 (BenQ W700) projector for a few years, with a 96" screen. The image quality is perfectly fine, though I'm certain a bigger/badder projector would be better. But since you're buying this and then leaving it behind for roommates that don't want to contribute to the cost, I'd say if they're going to complain about it you should take it with you when you leave just to spite them.

As for cheap screen options, if you cut a sheet of melamine coated MDF to 7'4" long, you'll have a nice even white screen at 16:9. Is it the best you can do? No... but it's good enough and it's dirt cheap.
It's more of me wanting a really good projector but them not wanting to contribute to something decent. So I have no issues spending around 100-150 for something low end, and leaving it with them (we will be splitting the cost 3 ways, I just can't get them to spend more then 100 ea). SO when the day comes ill be setting up a new system without any hinderances other then money of course .

That sounds like an excellent idea for the cheap route, thank you for the idea. I could even cut some trim and mount that around for some feng shui . What would be the best way to mount that you think?
post #9 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
I can see the draw of going to a screen for gaming. Yes an 80" would be better. I'm sure you would be happy. Just get the vewsonic as I believe that the DLP won't suffer from lag like the LCD will.
You've been so helpful. Thank you for the time brother. I will go with the viewsonic unless I find something better.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-05-16, 08:29 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
jamesfrazier wrote: View Post
It's more of me wanting a really good projector but them not wanting to contribute to something decent. So I have no issues spending around 100-150 for something low end, and leaving it with them (we will be splitting the cost 3 ways, I just can't get them to spend more then 100 ea). SO when the day comes ill be setting up a new system without any hinderances other then money of course .

That sounds like an excellent idea for the cheap route, thank you for the idea. I could even cut some trim and mount that around for some feng shui . What would be the best way to mount that you think?
Ah... I read your original post a little pessimistically, I suppose.

My screen is exactly what I described above, with a 1x4 frame. The frame is slotted and glued to the edge of the MDF, with mitered corners. The framing is painted flat black. The whole assembly is hanging on a "french rail". The bottom of the french rail gets screwed to the wall, the top gets screwed/glued to the frame of the screen. Gravity does the rest.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Budget Projectors?-screen-1.jpg  

Budget Projectors?-screen-2.jpg  

Budget Projectors?-screen-3.jpg