Projector & Screen Recommendations - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 38 Old 05-15-06, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Re: Projector & Screen Recommendations

I see good reviews for the Benq PE8720. It averages for 6k but I see it on sale for 3,900

Has anyone seen or used this brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-15-06, 02:54 PM
Pending

Phil

Tommy, Benq gets good reviews - similar to Infocus.
You mentioned Vidikron in an earlier post - this is a Runco brand that is typically supplied by custom installers. I have a single chip Runco DLP and have been very very happy with it.

If you're are looking at $5k then you need to consider the Sony Ruby - at this price point it is THE projector to get. If you want to spend less I would take Bricors advice and seriously consider the Samsung.

I saw the Ruby last week for the first time, and was very impressed - but it did need a calibration. They were showing King Kong, which I saw the night before on my Runco. The skin tones were a little off. Nevertheless the light output and resolution were amazing. With the Samsung you're getting a bargain, the projector didn't sell as most buyers do not assosciate Samsung with high end projectors, it was then killed in the market with the pricing of the Ruby. Consequently its being heavily discounted to move it off the shelf.
post #33 of 38 Old 05-15-06, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Dang more choices... ok I'm off to look up the sony one now...

post #34 of 38 Old 05-15-06, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

hahaha came right back, found it at 8 to 10 k range, now thats higher then even I want to spend.

Just trying to find the best one for the 4-5 k range.
post #35 of 38 Old 05-15-06, 05:01 PM
Pending

Phil

Sorry Tommy - I got confused on the Ruby price.
post #36 of 38 Old 05-17-06, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

We went to Tweeters last night (stretching to go anywhere that has a demo model) and they had this yamaha LCD projector you could see the SDE from the entire room, the pic was dull and I'm not sure how old a model it was but the thing was huge.
post #37 of 38 Old 06-14-06, 04:01 PM
Josh Wilken
Inactive

As an owner of a Panasonic PT-AE900U, I can say that you really have to try and find the screen-door effect. I sit 10' away from a 92" screen and its not visible. I can get up to 5' away and am still happy.

Highly recommended.

I looked at the Sanyo Z4 quite a bit as well, read a lot of reviews, really thought about it hard , but at the time I pulled the trigger the Panasonic was best bang/buck. Most reviews pick them out as pretty close. If this is your first projo, I don't really think you coudl go wrong with either.

Hope this helps -

~Josh
post #38 of 38 Old 07-20-06, 02:46 AM

I've seen the Panny and Sanyo and both will provide a very nice picture. The thing I liked about the Panny (and is making think of an upgrade right now) was that I was very quiet! In "whisper" mode, you simply could not tell is was running unless your ear was next to the machine. Did you decide on a screen or are you going to DIY?
JP