Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen... - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

And how much is an anamorphic projection system if I do it myself... although I doubt I could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 05:34 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
And how much is an anamorphic projection system if I do it myself... although I doubt I could.
If you mean by "doing it yourself"..buying a lens kit and assembling it yourself..then you're probably looking at about $600.00US for a local brand..
Otherwise, if you're talking about a commercial product such as Panamorph...well here are some prices for you...
http://www.panamorph.com/pages/products.htm..

Either way, if you can build theatre, then it should be well within your capabilities to assemble a lens..and help is available here if you need it..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Where are the lens kits for $600 and which would they compare to on that link page you posted above? I see some of those are $2,000-3500... what makes them better and are they really needed?

post #14 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 11:34 PM
Mark Techer

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Where are the lens kits for $600 and which would they compare to on that link page you posted above? I see some of those are $2,000-3500... what makes them better and are they really needed?
I am sorry, but is your question what makes a $2000 - $3500 lens better than a $600 lens? The answer is addional or corrective optical elements. I say yes you do need them, but in the end, you need to see the image for yourself.

The difference between zooming (what you intended to do with the new Panny) and using a lens is simple. When you zoom, you throw away 25% of the vertical rez. When you use a lens, you use 100% of the projector's panel. Also when you zoom, your pixels become larger in both directions, where the lens only expands the pixels horizontally...

Mark
post #15 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I guess I never saw the full capabilities of my Panasonic PT-AE2000. It was mounted at 12' with a 97" diagonal screen. That means it was zoomed to 1.6:1. It still looked stellar though. In my suggested setup, I will not be zooming 16:9 at all anymore... and 2.35:1 will only be zoomed to 1.4:1. In both cases this will be superior to my last setup.
post #16 of 88 Old 01-28-09, 06:45 AM
Mark Techer

And it scales for CIH if at point you want to add a lens and be able to use the full 1920 x 1080 panel...

Mark
post #17 of 88 Old 01-28-09, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yes... the 3000 is setup nicely for adding a CIH setup, which I may very well tackle on the DIY side after I get the HT finished.
post #18 of 88 Old 01-28-09, 07:39 AM
Mark Techer

And so is the 2000 you have now as it has VS and HS already built in. Apart from automated zoom, the 3000 does not offer that much more unless you intend zooming and don't want to get up out of your chair. If using a lens, you won't need to zoom anyway...

Mark
post #19 of 88 Old 01-28-09, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Oh no... I don't have the 2000 anymore, but I see what you mean. Of course the convenience of the Lens Memory on the 3000 does make it nice for those of us (me) that are lazy.

I am hoping maybe the CIH kits will come down in pricing with time. Those things are expensive.
post #20 of 88 Old 01-28-09, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

The Mitsubishi HC6500 seems like it would work well with an anamorphic lens.

Quote:
The HC6500 has Mitsubishi's dual anamorphic modes, which allow the user to forego the articulated track usually paired with an anamorphic lens. Instead, the HC6500 scales all content for proper display through an anamorphic lens, and the lens remains deployed at all times.
Am I understanding this correctly? I can buy an anamorphic lens and permanently install the lens. From there I simply watch any aspect ratio I want without having to do anything to the projector?

What am I missing? This seems like it would be the ticket here.