Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen... - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 88 Old 01-29-09, 11:13 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

The 3000 has a very flexible zoom range. What is the gain of your screen? I like the calculator feature on www.projectorcentral.com They are recommending a 1.2 gain screen for that projector on a 119" wide screen to give an acceptable light density.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 88 Old 01-29-09, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I can do any gain I need. I was planning on using the Cream&Sugar mix... or I can go with Black Widow if I need more gain. Not sure what either of those are, but either way, I plan on doing a painted screen.
post #43 of 88 Old 01-29-09, 11:46 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Right, well you will also get higher light density the closer you put the projector to the screen. So if you go with 17' throw distance and zoom from 1.16 for 16:9 to 1.60 for 2.35, you might be a little better off.

Last edited by hddummy; 01-29-09 at 11:58 AM.

post #44 of 88 Old 01-29-09, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

So you think the throw distance being 2.5 feet closer with a 1.6:1 zoom is better than farther back with a 1.4:1 zoom?
post #45 of 88 Old 01-29-09, 02:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Well....If your AE2000 didn't have any distortion issues with a zoom in that range, then I doubt the 3000 would. These projectors have a relatively high zoom (2.0) as far as projectors go, so I don't think 1.6 will be a problem. I say it is better to get the brightest image you can without focal distortion. In the end, the best thing to do is experiment with different throw distances if you have that luxury. Also, the average throw ratio for this projector is 2.0 (1.35-2.66). For 2.35 screen you wanted a 118.5" wide and for 16:9 it would be 89". Your average width would be 103.75 and at the average throw ratio of 2.0, you get a throw distance of 17.3 feet.

Maybe I'm over analzying it, but what can I say....I'm an engineer.
post #46 of 88 Old 01-29-09, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I see no reason that I could not experiment to an extent. I have complete access to the attic above and can easily mount the projector at 17' or 19'.

I do want a bigger screen though. We had an 89" wide 16:9 screen in the old HT room. I would like to go to 92" on the 16:9 and 122" on the 2.35:1, but that shouldn't be a big deal.
post #47 of 88 Old 01-30-09, 04:34 AM
Pending
Mark Techer

Don't hold your breath for cheap lenses, they are not coming. My new lens will the first in its class to be less than 2K, and it costs allot to produce and why the price. Real optics like what I have used are not the same as the trophies you see in lenses for $600.00...

Mark
post #48 of 88 Old 01-30-09, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I may have to hold my breath until I hit it big then.

I just realized something else that I have to be concerned with using the 3000. The black bar at the bottom on 2.35.1 images. It will basically be overscan below the screen. I need to make sure I do not build the equipment rack too tall, since it will be the speaker stand for the center channel. That black bar on the speaker might cause some issues. I know it's black, but I ain't sure it won't cause a problem.

How can I calculate how many inches that will be?
post #49 of 88 Old 01-30-09, 10:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

A 50" 2.35 will have an 8" letter box overscaned above and below the screen.

50 * 2.35 / 1.78 = 66
66 - 50 = 16
16 / 2 = 8

I assume that you would have black border around the screen, so that should take up some of it. This is why I said it would be nice of the projector actually had masking panels inside that would keep the black bars from being projected entirely.
post #50 of 88 Old 01-30-09, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah.... masking panels would be great.

I will have about 6" above the screen to the ceiling that I will probably cover entirely as the top border of the screen. I may also cover a 12" panel with the same material I cover the screen frame border and mount it on the ceiling above the screen. Then extend the bottom screen frame border to about 10" below the screen.

With 8'6" wall height, this means the top of my center does not need to be above 35" to be safe. Which in turn means a cabinet height of about 27". That seems reasonable.

Can anyone recommend the best light absorbing material to use for the screen frame border?