Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen... - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 88 Old 02-01-09, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Do most people generally staple it to the frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 88 Old 02-02-09, 04:39 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Some people staple it on, others just glue it on..
I think a combination of both is the easiest and most effective way of covering your borders..

Just spray on glue to the timber borders and bond your pre-cut strips of velvet to the face and edges..and then staple it down on the back..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #73 of 88 Old 02-02-09, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

OK... so as far as you know the velvet material is not too porous for spray adhesive to leak through... providing it is not caked on like molasses.

post #74 of 88 Old 02-02-09, 05:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

The spray adhesive only puts on a thin coat, and the velvet cloth is a closed weave, so there won't be any problem with the velvet becoming saturated..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #75 of 88 Old 02-02-09, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Sounds like a plan... thanks for all the info.
post #76 of 88 Old 03-05-09, 03:25 AM
Mark Techer

Any further action taken on this Sonnie?
post #77 of 88 Old 03-05-09, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Just working on the HT room to where I get to the point of doing the screen. I may end up going with an Elite screen 2.35:1, which already has a border.

I will not be doing a lens at this time. I will use the Panny 3000 lens memory feature.
post #78 of 88 Old 12-03-09, 05:01 PM
Joe Gaydosh

I know this thread is a little old, but I hope I'm not too late to help out if I can. Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of anamorphic lenses, and having installed and experienced them, I fully understand their benefits and drawbacks. They can provide a powerful, immersive experience, and I love that. But there are also some technical challenges that need to be worked out to give a successful presentation.

One aspect (pun intended) that is not often considered is how the screen will look within the room. For a room that is relatively wide like yours, Sonnie, a 2.35:1 screen would probably look very good. In some narrow rooms, you might get a "wall-to-wall" screen effect with a 2.35:1 screen; but the relatively small vertical height of the screen compared to the ceiling height might make the screen itself look small. In such a case, one might be better off with a 1.78:1 screen. There are many factors to consider in good home theater design, and we just need to make sure we look at them all.

I agree with your decision to use the lens memory feature. Not every projector has this, and it is a great asset. And I don't think you will have much problem with brightness or resolution, provided your screen isn't too huge. As for the aspect ratio, have you considered using a 2.0:1 screen? I know you would have to get a custom screen built, which may or may not cost more, but either way it is still much less expensive than using an anamorphic lens. Most manufacturers are willing to accomodate custom screen sizes. By using a 2.0:1 screen, you would have the largest average picture size no matter what aspect ratio you watch (see diagram). Notice how close in size the 2.35 and 1.78 aspect ratios are. Yes, there would be black bars with every aspect ratio, but their size would be minimized and unless you have a masking screen or masking curtains (for 2.35:1 screens), everyone has to live with them anyway. I know 2.0:1 screens are not well known (nor are they a standard size with most manufacturers), but they are starting to turn up in some high-end screening rooms.

Since you have the lens memory feature, using a 2.0:1 screen is an option for you that most people don't have. If it were my own theater, that's the way I would go. I would program in as many aspect ratios as the projector allows.

On the diagram, I selected a screen that is about the same height as the screens in your diagram for illustration purposes. Your screen size might vary depending on seating distance and projector location. Hope this helps!

Name:  2.0.gif
Views: 1357
Size:  4.4 KB

Joseph Gaydosh
First Run Home Cinema
post #79 of 88 Old 12-03-09, 10:02 PM
Joe Gaydosh

I just stumbled on the Cedar Creek Cinema link. I'm happy to see it turned out so well. The screen looks like a great fit and I especially love the velvet border.

Nice job!

Joseph Gaydosh
First Run Home Cinema
post #80 of 88 Old 01-06-11, 10:29 AM
Shackster

I just ordered a Stewart CineW 2.35 (56" height) for my new room. My first curved screen. Looking forward to getting it in and hung. Trying to work out a way to move my PJ back a little though.