Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen... - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #81 of 88 Old 01-06-11, 05:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
Prof.'s Avatar
The Mad Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Murraylands South Aust
Posts: 8,367
My System
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Sounds like a good size screen.. Is that an AT screen?
It would be preferable to move your projector back, if you have the room..and not zoom to fill the screen..
When you have it all set up, some pics. would be nice..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prof. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 88 Old 01-06-11, 05:29 PM
Shackster
 
getgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-South
Posts: 21
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Sounds like a good size screen.. Is that an AT screen?
It would be preferable to move your projector back, if you have the room..and not zoom to fill the screen..
When you have it all set up, some pics. would be nice..
No, I'm going to try it non AT. I struggled with the choice. I prefer the firehawk material for it's versatility. It has it's cons, but IMO it's pros outweigh them for many installs, mine included. I could get it microperfed, but the main issue was the layout of the room. With my speakers and the required air gap to the screenback, I'd lose 2'. I have a corner door on a 17' wall and it gets to be a layout problem as I pull that screenwall back. And it puts the seating in a likely bass problem spot, and it eats into the other end of the room where I have other plans (room is about 30' long). So I just pulled the trigger and went non AT. I have B&W tower speakers and going AT would have dictated a speaker change too. The 804's are fairly slender and fit tight up to the viewing cone so I think I'll be OK. I'm 100% movies and TV so not too concerned about 2 channel performance. All that said, I stay busy with my HT related work so much I rarely have time to work on my own things. Like a dentist with bad teeth . I've been piddling with this theater rebuild for some time. I have the drywall stacked in there though so I'm getting closer. I got a new PJ at CEDIA which I'm happy with so far so that's been a little more of a driver to get'er'done. Maybe by spring. Maybe
getgray is offline  
post #83 of 88 Old 01-06-11, 05:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
Prof.'s Avatar
The Mad Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Murraylands South Aust
Posts: 8,367
My System
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

That's a pity that you can't fit a screen wall in there..
I have a screen wall and I've finally bitten the bullet to put in an AVSeymour AT screen..
My screenwall is 2' out from the front wall and my monitor speakers have plenty of room not to be too close to the screen fabric..
I also only watch TV and movies, and all my movies are viewed at 2.35:1, regardless of their AR..The lens never moves..
What projector did you get?

Good luck with the re-build and let's see progress shots..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prof. is offline  
 
post #84 of 88 Old 01-06-11, 09:07 PM
Shackster
 
getgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-South
Posts: 21
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
That's a pity that you can't fit a screen wall in there..
I have a screen wall and I've finally bitten the bullet to put in an AVSeymour AT screen..
My screenwall is 2' out from the front wall and my monitor speakers have plenty of room not to be too close to the screen fabric..
I also only watch TV and movies, and all my movies are viewed at 2.35:1, regardless of their AR..The lens never moves..
What projector did you get?

Good luck with the re-build and let's see progress shots..
DOH! That reminds me I was supposed to call Chris today. Need to find out how close the recommend having the speakers from their 4K material. Happen to know?

Lens never moves for HD TV??? Too bad Obviously I'm in the move your lens camp

I have Digital Projection Highlite Cine 260 HC. Wish they gave it a shorter name.

Last edited by getgray; 01-06-11 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typing stinks
getgray is offline  
post #85 of 88 Old 01-07-11, 04:49 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
Prof.'s Avatar
The Mad Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Murraylands South Aust
Posts: 8,367
My System
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Quote:
getgray wrote: View Post
DOH! That reminds me I was supposed to call Chris today. Need to find out how close the recommend having the speakers from their 4K material. Happen to know?
From what I recall, it's about a min. of 3"..

Quote:
Lens never moves for HD TV??? Too bad
I don't get that! For HDTV the AR button on the projector remote is changed to 4:3 to give me a widescreen image with out moving the lens..

Quote:
I have Digital Projection Highlite Cine 260 HC. Wish they gave it a shorter name.
Not familiar with that projector..I'm presuming it's pretty pricey!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prof. is offline  
post #86 of 88 Old 01-07-11, 05:41 PM
Shackster
 
getgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-South
Posts: 21
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
From what I recall, it's about a min. of 3"..
Chris said a difference can be measured at 20khz but not heard from 0-2". After that, no measurable difference.

Quote:
I don't get that! For HDTV the AR button on the projector remote is changed to 4:3 to give me a widescreen image with out moving the lens..
Because you are throwing away your vertical resolution. If you only watch scope, or very rarely do 1.78, I can see it. But kinda the point of using a A lens in the first place was to use your full panel to produce the best resolution. If you downscale in order to get a 1.78 through a lens, you aren't. And what happens if you want to watch something like Casablanca that is nearer to 4:3. You are getting a strip of data and expanding it. Since I make a lens transport I'm obviously biased, however I got into that world because I wasn't willing to sacrifice those pixels. Particularly since I watch a LOT of HD TV and I want the full resolution. Plus, in 16:9 there is no scaling going on, 1:1 pixel mapping. I don't' scale unless I need to (2:35).

Quote:
Not familiar with that projector..I'm presuming it's pretty pricey!
Yeah, list price is on up there. Street is better but it's not cheap. It WILL light up a big screen though.
http://www.digitalprojection.com/Bro...1/Default.aspx

Cheers,
Scott
getgray is offline  
post #87 of 88 Old 01-07-11, 06:07 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
 
Prof.'s Avatar
The Mad Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Murraylands South Aust
Posts: 8,367
My System
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Quote:
getgray wrote: View Post
Becasue you are throwing away your vertical resolution. If you only watch scope, or very rarely do 1.78, I can see it. But kinda the point of using a A lens in the first place was to use your full panel to produce the best resolution. If you downscale in order to get a 1.78 through a lens, you aren't. And what happens if you want to watch somethign like Casablanca that is nearer to 4:3. You are getting a strip of data and expanding it. Since I make alens transport I'm obviosuly biased, however I got into that world becasue I wasn't willing to sacrifice those pixels.
Yeah..I'm aware of the reduction in vertical resolution, but with HDTV (for want of a better word ) as most so called HD on TV is more like SD anyway,,with a few exceptions..so it doesn't bother me..
As for 4:3 movies, I never watch them..That AR dates them to era's that doesn't particularly interest me..even though they were made in my era!!

To see a movie like Avatar in scope (even though it was only made in widescreen) is quite breathtaking..even if you do occasionally lose a bit top and bottom!

Quote:
Yeah, list price is on up there. Street is better but it's not cheap. It WILL light up a big screen though.
It looks to be quite a powerful, solid unit..
One thing I did notice though is that it has quite a high fan noise at 35dB. You wouldn't want it over your head!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prof. is offline  
post #88 of 88 Old 01-07-11, 06:24 PM
Shackster
 
getgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-South
Posts: 21
Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

Thing is it's so bright I run it in eco mode. Bulb will last forever even after some aging be plenty bright. In eco mode it's not loud. A good bit Quieter than the JVC RS35 I had in here for a customer anyway. Plenty of extra umph if I want to turn it up in 2.35 mode.
getgray is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2.35:1 , comtemplating , screen...

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome