Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

The Panasonic PT-AE3000 is looking like it may be the next PJ to end up in my HT room.

I still have to decide on a screen size and aspect ratio.

Here is a clip about the 3000 and Lens Memory, which looks promising to me.

Quote:
Lens Memory lets you automatically set the zoom lens to a wide angle setting to fill a 2.35 screen, so that you can view a 2.35 format film in full frame without any black bars. Then when you switch to a 16:9 source such as HDTV or a 1.78 film, you can press a button, and the projector will automatically zoom the lens to a position where the 16:9 image fills your screen vertically. And, unless the projector is positioned exactly at a height equal to the middle of the screen, a vertical compensation adjustment is required to get the image to center vertically on the screen. The AE3000 automatically makes this adjustment as well. Essentially, this eliminates the expense of a separate anamorphic lens.
If I understand this correctly, I can setup my screen for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio using a screen height of 50", the width will be approximately 118" with a diagonal screen of 128". If I use the Panasonic 3000, I can set the Lens Memory for this AR. If I watch something with a 16:9 AR, I can adjust the size of the image to match the height of the the 2.35:1 AR with the overall image being 50" high x 89" wide and 102" diagonal. I then set the Lens Memory for the 16:9 image. Depending on what AR I am watching, I can recall the Lens Memory setting with the press of a button on the remote. There can also be a setting for 4:3 AR. This keeps the image height constant, but creates black bars on aspect ratios less than 2.35:1. Of course there would be very narrow bars top and bottom with 2.40:1 aspect ratios, although minor and hardly noticeable.

The bottom picture is more than likely what I would be looking at.

Am I thinking along the right lines here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 05:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Re: Comtemplating the 2.35:1 screen...

I believe you are correct sir.
post #3 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 05:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

The feature on that projector called "Lens Memory" is not the same as anamorphic projection..
Basically all it's doing is zooming the lens to preset AR's..just as you would normally do with manual zooming..
It does not give you 1:1 mapping, as you have with CIH projection, so therefore your pixels are being expanded vertically and horizontally..
At the same time, you're losing 33 percent of your pixels in the black bars when you zoom out for a 2.35:1 AR..

Now for a good quality 1080p. projector this may not be too noticeable, but the bigger the screen the better chance there is of of seeing some deterioration in the image quality, compared to the non zoomed image..

My advise would be, if you want the absolute best image quality on a large screen, get a good anamorphic lens and set it up for CIH projection...
The impact of this type of image is quite breath taking..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

With this projector... I would not see any issues even at full zoom 2:1... and I won't be there.

If I stick with a 15' throw range, I would be at 1.75 zoom on 2.35:1.

I could always use a throw distance of 19' and be at 1.1 zoom using 2.35:1, and 1.34:1 zoom using 16:9.

The convenience is pushing a button for the proper aspect ratio... how nice can that be?
post #5 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 08:01 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I could always use a throw distance of 19' and be at 1.1 zoom using 2.35:1, and 1.34:1 zoom using 16:9.
That would be the best way to set up the projector if you're not going anamorphic..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #6 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Actually... I had that backwards. 1.34:1 zoom would be the 2.35:1. 1:1 zoom would be the 16:9.
post #7 of 88 Old 01-26-09, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I think I may be confused.

With the Panasonic 3000... what will happen to the black bars that are normally seen on 2.35:1 aspect ratio's? This is not its native aspect ratio.
post #8 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 05:19 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Unless the projector has some method of masking the bars internally, the projector will still produce the black bars. They will be shown above and below the actual screen. All you are doing is expanding the projected image so that the portion that has picture on it fills the screen height on the wall. If you have dark matte paint/material around the screen, then the black bars should not be visible. Regardless, when you are sucked into a movie, who would really notice anyway.

Last edited by hddummy; 01-27-09 at 05:55 AM.
post #9 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

So this is where anamorphic projection comes in handy... at least one of the benefits.
post #10 of 88 Old 01-27-09, 05:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
So this is where anamorphic projection comes in handy... at least one of the benefits.
As I understand it..and I may be wrong..you won't see any black bars with that projector, when projecting a 2.35:1 image, because the projector has zoomed them off the screen with this lens memory system..

With an anamorphic system..the 2.35:1 image is firstly, electronically stretched vertically, so there are no black bars top or bottom ( without any zooming ) and then optically stretched horizontally, to fill the width of the screen..
That way you don't lose any pixels, maintaining a 1:1 mapping of the pixel structure..

Prof..