planning stage - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 06-21-09, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Fab

planning stage

hello

if things continue to go ok for me = keep job. it looks like i will be going projector. i have a 5 month old Mitsu 65" dlp & BD35 now. i just love the picture, but its almost to small, and that is when i use ZOOM. with a regular letterbox, it is to small.

i have a bathroom to totally remodel, so i can/want to wait for a sale. but what good is a sale, if you don't know what to buy. so, i am starting my research on what to get. so when that "sale" comes, i can pouch on it. and its going to take well over a month to do the bathroom, so this will be an ongoing thread.

screen size
my 65" is 32" tall. a 32" tall, but letterbox wide, screen would be fine. how wide would that be ? perhaps i should go bigger
it would be mounted about 2' from the wall = . maybe, but that is where my dlp is, and with the other gear, i like the screen there. perhaps i will wall mount later, idk.
i am going to build the screen, once i deside what to get.

projector
i want the picture to be as good as my dlp. is that possible ?
the projector would be right above my head, or there about. and i would prefer to not hear it.
i would like, if they can do it, for the screen to be letterbox. but have the projector be able to switch to 16:9 and downsize to fit the screen = black bars on the side. and display anamorphic(sp?) with black bars would be ok.
it would be nice to have a mode that could kick up the brightness(or whatever), if i should (RARELY) want to watch it during the day, compromised quality would be ok.

room
12x19x8, i'l show ya. it is not "dedicated" . but we, wife & i, don't real do much other than watch movies in there. i have no WAF, i do what i want. but, i do consider my wifes concerns/wants. she thinks i am and the screen will be to big. but she hasn't ever seen one, so doesn't have a clue.
i bet she will like it. anyway.... the room can be mostly blacked out during the day. though we pretty much always watch at night. during the winter, it is DARK, 5pm dusk, 7pm movie. you get the idea.

seating
about 10' distance.

budget
how about $3000ish total ?

i think thats most of it. will get me started anyway. so, whatcha think ? other things i have not considered ?

thanx a ton
Attached Thumbnails
planning stage-img_0734.jpg  

planning stage-img_0732.jpg  

planning stage-img_0666.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-21-09, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Fab

Re: planning stage

oh. i think i am going to paint the room darker. not black, but a darker blown.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-21-09, 10:59 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

You are describing the Panasonic PT-AE3000U, same pj we currently own. We have it set up on a 125" 2.35:1 AR and swap between 16x9 zoomed for 2.35 to s16x9 for 1.78 or 1.85 AR with the press of a button. It has lens shift and lens memory. Works great!

The pj is right above our seating and we never notice the fan running... it runs in econo mode.

$2499 at www.projectorpeople.com They gave me an extra year on the warranty and a free bulb warranty.

Out of the box it is one fine projector.

BTW... the walls look good... paint the ceiling black.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 01:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

I agree. That's a versatile projector. I have never owned a DLP TV. But Projector picture might be 4 times as big and to perceive the same quality of your smaller picture, resolution should be 4 times higher as well (all other parameters assumed the same). As you see it is not easy to compare, but I can garantee projector PQ on 1080p material is stunning!

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 01:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

By looking at your photos my guess is that you would be able to go with about a 96" diagonal screen (moving your front corner bass traps would give you more space). With the Panasonic PT-AE3000U your getting a great unit and given the screen size your going with it will be more than ample brightness and resolution.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 06:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

You've treated the front of the room, but nothing on the side or back walls..
I would suggest to improve the sound further that you put panels on the side walls at first and second reflection points..and bass traps in the rear corners..
You have a highly reflective area with those sliding glass doors and they really need to be treated as well..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #7 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Fab

thanx guys

i was looking at the AE3000. so thats the one i will get. just waiting on a sale, so if ya see one = lmk.
i'm not in a hurry. that part was easy

now. the sceen. i have judged 7' wide to be about the largest i could go. i need to leave room for my mains, i don't want em right next to the wall. were can i find out what the screen height would be for the different ratios ?

also. i could measure till the cows come home. but until i could SEE the actual image in my room, i could not make a final decision . so, what would be a CHEAP way to make a temporary screen ? so that i could actualy see, before building one. perhaps just using the wall would be ok, then downsizing for the 2' closer DIY screen.
does that make sense ?

and, compared to my 65dlp. what would the image loose ?
post #8 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 09:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The best thing you could do is wait till you get the projector and mount it where you want it. Then simply turn it on and try some different sizes and see what you like. Have a look here at this calculator it will help you with choosing the right size for the Panasonic.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Fab

will do, that sounds good.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-22-09, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Fab

how is that machine mounted ? i don't see any mounting points on top (i think).