Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 112 Old 01-13-10, 10:07 PM
jasonn

2.35 to 16:9 zoom

I just purchased an AE4000

does anyone know how the 2:35 zoom to 16:9 is supposed to work?

I plan on building a 2.35 screen.

If i play a 2.35:1 Blue ray (Paul Gross's Passchendaele), there are black bars on the top and bottom. Am I supposed to 'mask' those areas? If I do am I supposed to build my screen only to the non black area? If I do, when I play 16:9 and zoom, it zooms maintaining the top of the picture, and this is where my masked 2:35 was(which would be where there is no screen).

It's like I need to zoom and then do a vertical lens shift, but the vertical lens shift is not motorized. I tried a bunch of the settings (V area postion) bur it actually moves the picture off the projected area, it does not move the lens

Has someone tried this projector with a 2.35 screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 112 Old 01-13-10, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread

My 3000 is the same, but does not have the automatic setting.

I have a 2.35:1 screen with about 10" of black felt above and below the screen. When viewing 2.35:1 I zoom to fill the screen, which causes the black bar to overflow to the black felt. I do not notice it in the least bit. When I watch 16:9, I get black bars on the sides. I did not have any issues adjusting it all to fit the screen.
post #43 of 112 Old 01-14-10, 10:41 AM
Banned!

I'm really tempted to go with a 2.35:1 screen but not too sure I will like the 16:9 being cut off from the sides, is it distracting for this type of material? or the other option is to get a screen which can mask when required but that will cost me big bucks?

post #44 of 112 Old 01-14-10, 10:43 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

It's been a while, but can't you get a larger 16:9 screen and make a mask that you can center for 2.35:1 material?

I swear I saw someone DIY this a few years back. It was two blackout felt panels on a sliding track. He simply notched them up into position when watching a widescreen movie, or moved them out of the way (up and down) for 16:9

I'm sure an automated screen like that would be super-big-bucks, though.
post #45 of 112 Old 01-14-10, 10:48 AM
Banned!

Thanks Anthony, not too sure if I want to try a DIY job for the screen as my room is not a dedicated HC but the lounge and missus already moans enough ref this hobby
post #46 of 112 Old 01-16-10, 01:12 PM
jasonn

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
My 3000 is the same, but does not have the automatic setting.

I have a 2.35:1 screen with about 10" of black felt above and below the screen. When viewing 2.35:1 I zoom to fill the screen, which causes the black bar to overflow to the black felt. I do not notice it in the least bit. When I watch 16:9, I get black bars on the sides. I did not have any issues adjusting it all to fit the screen.

Are you ceiling mounted? I'm beginning to think this is because I have a lot of manual vertical shift

i tried this to set everything up:

1.switch to 2.35 blue ray. Set up the lens zoom for desired 2.35 screen size. adjust the vertical shift(in lens menu) upwards until the horizontal black bar is gone at the top. Mark where the bottom of the picture is on the wall. Save this lens setting as '2.35'

2. switch to a 16:9 source and zoom in until the bottom of the picture is at the same height as the mark in 1. Save this lens setting as '16:9'

...the above kind of works, but not really, because the zoom doesnt keep the top of the picture at the same spot(which is what I thought). and the zoom in/out between the two aspect ratios moves the display vertically by more than the black bars height. It's close...the 16:9 is too high by about 4". If I keep zooming the bottom moves above the point I recorded in 1. ..I suppose I could cut the heads of people(top of the 16:9 image) with a mask, but I dont really want to.

Anyone have a procedure on how to set this up?

ok I just did a little experiment. The current setup has the 2.35 screen 25" below the ceiling(9' ceiling). The 16:9 is projecting 5" above the 2.35 screen (with the bottom of the 16.9image matching the bottom of the 2.35 screen). If I reduce the manual vertical shift to project the top of my image at the top of my wall (my room height is 9') instead of 25" down from the top of the wall everything works pretty much perfect.

so does anyone know how to 'fix' this little problem. I dont want to have to stare at the top of the wall to watch movies! ...and I dont really want to drop the projector from the ceiling.

Last edited by jasonn; 01-16-10 at 01:56 PM.
post #47 of 112 Old 01-23-10, 12:35 AM
jasonn

Quote:
jasonn wrote: View Post
Are you ceiling mounted? I'm beginning to think this is because I have a lot of manual vertical shift

i tried this to set everything up:

1.switch to 2.35 blue ray. Set up the lens zoom for desired 2.35 screen size. adjust the vertical shift(in lens menu) upwards until the horizontal black bar is gone at the top. Mark where the bottom of the picture is on the wall. Save this lens setting as '2.35'

2. switch to a 16:9 source and zoom in until the bottom of the picture is at the same height as the mark in 1. Save this lens setting as '16:9'

...the above kind of works, but not really, because the zoom doesnt keep the top of the picture at the same spot(which is what I thought). and the zoom in/out between the two aspect ratios moves the display vertically by more than the black bars height. It's close...the 16:9 is too high by about 4". If I keep zooming the bottom moves above the point I recorded in 1. ..I suppose I could cut the heads of people(top of the 16:9 image) with a mask, but I dont really want to.

Anyone have a procedure on how to set this up?

ok I just did a little experiment. The current setup has the 2.35 screen 25" below the ceiling(9' ceiling). The 16:9 is projecting 5" above the 2.35 screen (with the bottom of the 16.9image matching the bottom of the 2.35 screen). If I reduce the manual vertical shift to project the top of my image at the top of my wall (my room height is 9') instead of 25" down from the top of the wall everything works pretty much perfect.

so does anyone know how to 'fix' this little problem. I dont want to have to stare at the top of the wall to watch movies! ...and I dont really want to drop the projector from the ceiling.
Looks like others have this problem

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86232&page=116

and no solution other than keystoning (
post #48 of 112 Old 01-23-10, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I have mine ceiling mounted and the top of my screen is about 8-10" from the ceiling. I do not have an issue with the 3000 when swapping between 2.35:1 and 16:9. I suppose because my screen is closer to the ceiling it is not an issue for me.

My ceilings are 8.6" tall and as noted the top of screen is 10" or less from the ceiling. I do not in any way feel like I am looking at the top of my wall. I suspect my eyes are generally focused on the area about 2-3' from the ceiling.
post #49 of 112 Old 01-23-10, 02:40 AM
Banned!

I have to say that if the PQ of the 4000 is better than the 3000 then it must be an amazing PJ as the PQ I have achieved with my PT-AE3000 is simply stunning and that it is just with some basic calibration, now I think I need a 2.35:1 screen
post #50 of 112 Old 01-24-10, 12:20 PM
jasonn

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I have mine ceiling mounted and the top of my screen is about 8-10" from the ceiling. I do not have an issue with the 3000 when swapping between 2.35:1 and 16:9. I suppose because my screen is closer to the ceiling it is not an issue for me.

My ceilings are 8.6" tall and as noted the top of screen is 10" or less from the ceiling. I do not in any way feel like I am looking at the top of my wall. I suspect my eyes are generally focused on the area about 2-3' from the ceiling.
I was thinking about a compromise...move the screen up a few inches and the projector down a few inches. and the slightly crop the 16:9 image on the top. ...but I've got to liking watching the 2.35 movies at just above eye level

I found on another forum a mention of an s16:9 AR setting

The S16:9 aspect ratio option on the projector seems to move the 16:9 image down vertically by about 15". The manual doesnt really say what it's purpose is. It still has a slight keystone, 1.5" on 16:9 image, but that is considerably less than tilting the projector

Does anyone know anything about the purpose of the S16:9 aspect ratio setting?