Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 112 Old 09-06-10, 02:19 PM
Shackster
Bamb

Re: Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread

Anyone have a calibration report they might post?

I'm just curious how close it came to specs?

Here's mine from using Calman with my JVC RS2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 112 Old 10-13-10, 08:52 PM
Shackster
CTrain

Quote:
bobsor wrote: View Post
Appearance is always subjective, but I think it's the most attractive home projector on the market. It has more of a professional, functional design, unlike some of the consumer products that appear almost toy-like.
I couldnt agree more. I think the PT-AE4000 looks fantastic.
post #73 of 112 Old 10-14-10, 09:13 AM
Banned!

With the Projectors lens in the middle certainly makes it look nicer to my eyes, so many are off centre that I personally do not like, but then there is the most important part and that is its performance and it certainly gives a stunning picture.

post #74 of 112 Old 12-15-10, 06:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

There is a solution: Follow the manufacture's suggestions for screen and projector installation/location.

Quote:
jasonn wrote: View Post
Looks like others have this problem

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86232&page=116

and no solution other than keystoning (
When ceiling mounted the center of the projector lens needs to be lower than the screen top, see this page from the Panasonic projector/screen mounting directions. It has a table for the popular screen sizes and calculations for others.

See attached file for details.
Attached Files ae4k_sf 5.pdf (181.2 KB) 

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #75 of 112 Old 12-15-10, 07:01 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

Here is a reply from LoneAspen in the AVS Forum explaining it better than I did:

"The Panasonic Spec File for this projector is located here:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...00/ae4k_sf.pdf

It has a diagram and chart on page 5. If you look at the 2.35:1 chart (the one with the note "When projecting both 2.35:1 and 16:9 images onto a 2.35:1 screen using the Lens Memory function") you'll see the minimum value of "H" is always zero. If you look for "H" on the diagram at the top of the page, this is the distance the top of the screen is ABOVE the lens. So that a negative value for "H" (as exists in the 16:9 chart) means the top of the screen can be below the lens. However, if minimum "H" is zero, as it is on the 2.35:1 chart, that means the top of the image must be even with the lens or higher than it.

Took me a while to figure that out, combined with some other posts here."

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #76 of 112 Old 09-02-11, 10:42 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I know this is an old thread, but I've been poking around and am still a bit unclear on the zoom memory modes. What I *think* I want to do is build a 2.35:1 screen and mask it down for 16:9 content. Anamorphic lens is out due to cost and complexity, but it seems like with this PJ it isn't really necessary. Will the memory recall the correct settings for CIH viewing (that is, full screen for 2.35:1 content, and full height with side bars for 16:9)? I think this involves a little bit of digital trickery but still provides a very good picture unless I'm mistaken. Is anyone running their setup this way? If it can be done without compromising much on the sharpness/quality front, that's definitely the route I'll take. Back-up plan is just to build for 16:9 and live with masking the top and bottom like it does on a regular TV.

Quote:
bobsor wrote: View Post
Appearance is always subjective, but I think it's the most attractive home projector on the market. It has more of a professional, functional design, unlike some of the consumer products that appear almost toy-like.
I totally agree, it's clean, simple, and kind of industrial-functional. I think it looks great.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #77 of 112 Old 09-02-11, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I love the memory function of my AE4000, I am using with a 2,35:1 screen right now and wold never go back to a standard 16:9.
You need to remember that the black bars on 2,35:1 images are still being drawn no matter if you use an anamorphic or not as its on the source video its just how the processing is done.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #78 of 112 Old 09-02-11, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I am not sure what I did wrong, but have not been so lucky getting this to work for me. I am using a remote memory button that scrolls through the aspect ratios.
post #79 of 112 Old 09-02-11, 09:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Sonnie, have you turned on "auto switching" in the user men under the Lens control? you have to select the lens memory that you set up for the 2,35:1 after selecting the auto switching.
dont forget to also use the upper and lower masking settings as well when setting up the user lens memory for the 2,35:1 to compleatly eliminate the black bars that will be off the screen.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #80 of 112 Old 09-02-11, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Yeah... I had it all set up accordingly, but it just did not always get the right aspect ratio for whatever reasons. I may have to try it again to remember all the reasons I was not too fond of it.