Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 112 Old 09-06-11, 06:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System
Re: Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD HD Home Cinema Projector: Official Thread

Sonnie,
It took me a while to figure the proper way to save and set-up lens memory too. I write technical manuals, do complicated mechanical system evaluations and other engineering feats daily and had a of a time with the anamorphic set-up. I took a break for a few weeks and came back to it only to discover I was skipping an obvious but all important step - the digital adjust (in lens memory) part when doing the 2.35:1. Take a look at the attachment (even though written for the 3000 it is all relevant). I now have 4 lens memory modes set-up and it works "flawlessly", IMHO. I don't use the auto aspect ratio option and just use the remote to switch between varying aspect ratios. My next spet is to set up my universal remote but I am having too much fun playing games and watching movies.

For the $ it was the best choice for me as I do not need the brighter capability of other competitors nor did I want to spend the $ for a true anamorphic lens/sled set-up. I am sure there is a visible difference in doing anamorphic this way (stretching it out via lens zoom and digital offset) but for a 50/50 (movie/game) Home Theater rig I am truly happy. I do not regret it one bit!

I am so glad I did not wait 10-12 months for a 3D version of this, too.

I believe that the most important part of having a satisfying and quality audio or video experience is proper set-up and that means calibrating the video and taking the time to listen to various speaker placements.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 112 Old 09-06-11, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
smurphy522 wrote: View Post
I don't use the auto aspect ratio option and just use the remote to switch between varying aspect ratios.
This is what I am doing now. I have 16x9 and 2.35:1 setup and toggle between the two.
post #83 of 112 Old 09-06-11, 01:25 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Thanks for that Scott, Tony, and Sonnie... it sounds like this one will do what I want without too much trouble after the initial setup. I don't mind pressing the buttons for AR myself to change, "auto" makes me nervous for some reason. What would happen in something like Dark Knight where the AR switches during the movie?

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #84 of 112 Old 09-06-11, 02:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
"auto" makes me nervous for some reason. What would happen in something like Dark Knight where the AR switches during the movie?
That was annoying, I had to turn off the auto switching for that movie as well as Tron. But thats not a common way to do movies so I dont worry about it.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #85 of 112 Old 09-06-11, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

It was annoying even without the auto-switching. Even though I have black velvet, you can still see when it is not black bars. I set it to 2.35:1, but when it changes to 16:9, you can see the overscan.
post #86 of 112 Old 09-07-11, 06:56 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Yeah, it was an interesting idea, but I think just too tough to implement properly at the end of the day, especially with front projection where people try to mask out the proper viewing areas. I guess it would be interesting on a regular plasma/LCD display, where all of a sudden the letterboxed image goes "fullscreen", but honestly I don't even really remember noticing that much when I watched it at home. How long/intrusive was the switch between modes?

- OJ -

post #87 of 112 Old 09-07-11, 08:46 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

It takes about 3 seconds for my AE4000 to switch between the two modes. But then it has to focus for another two seconds as well so the "processing" logo flashes during the entire time it does this, thats the more annoying part.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #88 of 112 Old 09-07-11, 11:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

Ditto to Tonyvdb's reply. It takes all of about 5-7 seconds and there is an annoying "processing" logo flashing while it performs the switch.

I too keep the auto-switching feature off. I find it a bit annoying during the above mentioned movies and besides I have no issues with switching manually myself. even my 6 yr old figured out how to do it, now Mom that is another story.

I know the new 3D capable Panasonic projector PT-AE7000 will offer it too: lens memory function.

$3,500 for a more svelte looking 3D capable PT-AE4000? I might have bit if it was out last year but I will not be replacing my PT-AE4000 until it dies.....and I don't mean the lamp!

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #89 of 112 Old 09-08-11, 06:17 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

OK, that sounds good to me. 6 or 7 seconds before the movie starts won't bother me at all, especially to have it fill the screen properly. I really have no interest in 3D so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 4000 for a great price sometime next year (assuming we do get to start our basement).

- OJ -

post #90 of 112 Old 09-22-11, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
OK, that sounds good to me. 6 or 7 seconds before the movie starts won't bother me at all, especially to have it fill the screen properly. I really have no interest in 3D so hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 4000 for a great price sometime next year (assuming we do get to start our basement).
Do you think its going to start coming down in price now? After 2 years of 1999? I hope you are right but my room is ready to go and I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on it soon. You do have an advantage though... as you have no reason to get it until next year.