how long can VGA cable be run? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 06-04-07, 03:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: how long can VGA cable be run?

I am running a 50' VGA to component cable for my projector setup with no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 06-05-07, 06:23 PM
Shackster
Jared

I have a 7' peice of Cat 5 with a Cat 5 connector on one end and a VGA plug (HD15) on the other. THis is plugged into a wall mounted cat5 outlet. THen there is another 40' of cat 5 in the wall terminated at a celing mounted cat 5 outlet. Then there is a 1' cat 5 cable with a Cat 5 connector on one end and a VGA plug (HD15) on the other.

I get some slight ghosting on text, but you cannot notice it with movies through the Acer Laptop.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-09-07, 12:32 PM
ron1111
Inactive

Personally I have made 100 foot run with a good solid vga extension cables.

I use it to split a signal from 1 pc to 2 monitors. I have never had an issue or used an amplifier.

I would not use 2 or more cables to do the job. You will have more issue diagnosing if you do have issues.

post #14 of 20 Old 10-29-07, 12:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

A 25m cable would be pretty expensive ($75+) as it needs to be extra thick. If you buy quality it will work. A normal cable thickness would not.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-30-07, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
A 25m cable would be pretty expensive ($75+) as it needs to be extra thick. If you buy quality it will work. A normal cable thickness would not.
We are currently running 45M of standard cable. It has interference every now and then, but not regular ao we are having trouble identifying what the exact cause is.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-30-07, 11:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Check out this link on making your won CAT5e VGA cable.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23850&highlight=cat5

You could use shielded CAT5e or CAT6 for a better result. Making your own cable would be 10 times cheaper and would probably yield a better end result. Shielded CAT5e is only about 25 cents a foot and CAT6 Plenum rated being about 45 cents a foot. If you're an installer then learning how to make your own cables out of CAT5 will make you more profitable since you can reduce your costs.

Many installers use it for audio as well. They did where I work and the systems sound ok. It might not pass muster for an audiophile unless you start getting funky (like this or this), but for most meeting/board rooms it does the trick.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-03-07, 02:37 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

I wonder if VGA pass-through means it has a booster.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-11-12, 03:16 AM

I bought from a 40m VGA cable from Singapore and it works perfectly well without distortion
post #19 of 20 Old 06-11-12, 07:57 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

The correct answer, of course, is it depends. It depends on the cable, the resolution, the source device, and the display. In most cases with decent cables, most systems will be OK up to about 50 feet, but there are lots of variables.

I would recommend using vendors that we know are reliable and makes of cable that have some history of working without problems.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-12-12, 12:30 AM

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
The correct answer, of course, is it depends. It depends on the cable, the resolution, the source device, and the display. In most cases with decent cables, most systems will be OK up to about 50 feet, but there are lots of variables.

I would recommend using vendors that we know are reliable and makes of cable that have some history of working without problems.

Yup. There are to many types of VGA available in the market. Some are 3+4, 3+6 etc... The one which i bough was 3+6. Hence able to connect 40m without any booster or any distortion.