1080 vs 720 worth the money? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 42 Old 03-18-10, 02:25 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: 1080 vs 720 worth the money?

Quote:
flipatkc wrote: View Post
Screen size is going to be 106" 16:9 at about 13 foot distance...and thanks to all who have replied.
After hundreds of installations and calibrations of projectors, my experience is that at this distance I would b e very surprised if you did not see the benefits of the higher resolution on this size screen. As said before, it may not be a stunning difference, but as you watch for a while you will likely be able to clearly see the shortcomings of 720.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 03-19-10, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
philip

Doug,

my choice was made easy when I went to Best Buy last night and they had the HD65 on clearance for only $399. I couldnt turn it down at that price, especially for a starter projector.

Since you have this projector I have one more question for you that is now coming to mind. I will be ceiling mounting this projector on an 8ft ceiling. My screen is a 16:9 and ideally I will have the viewing screen centered on my wall. If my projector is ceiling mounted say 4-6" from my ceiling is there going to be any issues with it angling downward to the screen which if centered on my wall will be potentially 1.5-2ft below the ceiling or does the projector need to be lined up with the top of the viewing screen?

*** well i just did some research and answered my own question above and it appears that with the HD65, the projector needs to be pretty much level with the top of the screen. So with a 16:9 screen aspect ratio, the screen will be hugging the ceiling if you have a short ceiling since your projector is going to pretty much be flush with the ceiling

Last edited by flipatkc; 03-19-10 at 02:17 PM. Reason: think I found the answer
post #13 of 42 Old 03-23-10, 01:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Quote:
Doug,

my choice was made easy when I went to Best Buy last night and they had the HD65 on clearance for only $399. I couldnt turn it down at that price, especially for a starter projector.

Since you have this projector I have one more question for you that is now coming to mind.

*** well i just did some research and answered my own question above and it appears that with the HD65, the projector needs to be pretty much level with the top of the screen. So with a 16:9 screen aspect ratio, the screen will be hugging the ceiling if you have a short ceiling since your projector is going to pretty much be flush with the ceiling
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I actually mis-remembered. I have the HD70.

You got a great price on the HD65!

I did check the offset for the HD65 and it looks like you're about right. The offset for a 96" screen is only ~9". You should be fine.

The big criticism of the HD70 is a much bigger offset compared to most projectors, including the HD65. It's not a big problem for me, I've got a 9 1/2 foot ceiling in my HT. I actually had to drop the projector around a foot. My projector mount screws onto standard 2" conduit.

post #14 of 42 Old 03-23-10, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Doug,

Since you have this projector I have one more question for you that is now coming to mind. I will be ceiling mounting this projector on an 8ft ceiling. My screen is a 16:9 and ideally I will have the viewing screen centered on my wall. If my projector is ceiling mounted say 4-6" from my ceiling is there going to be any issues with it angling downward to the screen which if centered on my wall will be potentially 1.5-2ft below the ceiling or does the projector need to be lined up with the top of the viewing screen?

Well done! I was actually for you getting the 720p and saving the other money for down the line.
post #15 of 42 Old 03-24-10, 02:56 PM
Shackster
TwisterZ

Great price, way to find the deals. I was going to suggest going with the 720 and putting your budget into better speakers. Now that I have my theater as finished as any never ending upgrade project can be. I will upgrade to 1080 or 2K when I need a bulb for my Sony.
post #16 of 42 Old 03-27-10, 09:26 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

In three months you will be wishing you had spent the extra $400 and wondering how much better your image could be with a 1080p. I think with speakers and projectors especially, you can get this "buyers" remorse or sense that it might just be a little better.

But on a brighter note, the 720 would be great, and maybe there isn't much of a difference...
Maybe.
Matteo
post #17 of 42 Old 04-02-10, 11:01 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

I have the Pan ax200 720p FP and was looking at getting a 1080p FP. My main concern is PQ with Blu-ray and HDTV. Do you guys think there will be a big jump or small jump in PQ thanks. I was looking at the Mitsubishi hc6500 1080p FP.
post #18 of 42 Old 04-03-10, 06:21 AM
Shackster
Madhouse

HI,

Im new here. i just wanted to share my experience..

a year and a hafl ago i bought a Benq w500, 720p .. I must say i thought it was very good at that time.. unfortunately it had some errors.. colors were 'cold' on one side and 'warm' on the other side og the picture. when i finally got a credit note i bought a w6000 .. and man.. what a differnce.. ofcourse the color and brightness helps, but would still say that going 1080p is the right way to do home theater..
post #19 of 42 Old 04-03-10, 04:20 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Madhouse,
So to you the PQ from Benq w6000 is that much better. I found a great price on a Mit's HC6500 1080p FP.
post #20 of 42 Old 04-03-10, 09:40 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Will guys I went ahead an got the Mit's hc6500 today from BB at a great price. Time to set-up this baby and see what she can do.