1080 vs 720 worth the money? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 42 Old 03-15-10, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
philip

1080 vs 720 worth the money?

Hey guys,

Found this forum to be awesome. Lots of good advice. I'm finally ready to make my move for my HT. After hours, weeks, months of planning to the point that I've second guessed everything, I am now second guessing my projector choice.

My question is this: Am I foolish to not spend the extra $400 to buy a 1080 projector vs a 720. It will stretch my budget but if its foolish not to do it then I will find a way. Optoma hd20 vs the optoma hd65. Price diff is about $400. ($999 vs $639)

I would be running blu ray dvd player through the projector. Is the difference worth $400?

Thanks a ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-15-10, 02:30 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Re: 1080 vs 720 worth the money?

I think it is worth it, just for a future-proofing aspect. I moved and took my projector with me. It is now on a smaller screen (wall actually), so it didn't matter (Sanyo Z4, 720p). But if we had a chance to finish the basement, the screen would have been bigger and the 1080p would have been necessary to not see the pixel lines. That still may happen in the future, or a different room with a shorter seating distance may be used for the theater. In my case, I may end up too close to the screen for 720p and will wish I'd gotten the 1080p.

Welcome to the Shack!
post #3 of 42 Old 03-15-10, 02:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

It also depends on your screen size, if you staying under 96" I dont really think that you will notice a difference between the two. But I agree with Anthony that 1080p is the way to go at this point. I have the same projector (Sanyo Z4) on a 96" screen and like it allot however if I do upgrade again it wont be anything less than a Sanyo PLV z70 or Panasonic AE3000 1080p projector.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 42 Old 03-15-10, 02:48 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I would say that at 96" most people could clearly see the difference, but it depends on the distance.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-15-10, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
philip

Screen size is going to be 106" 16:9 at about 13 foot distance...and thanks to all who have replied.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-16-10, 09:35 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Quote:
flipatkc wrote: View Post
Screen size is going to be 106" 16:9 at about 13 foot distance...and thanks to all who have replied.
Welcome to the Shack, Philip!
I have the Optoma HD65. The HD20 was not available when I bought mine. I'm shooting it on a 120" screen and seating is 11' away.

I did a lot of reading and calculating before determining screen size. The projector had already been purchased, plus back then (things change fast), the 1080 i/p offerings were beyond my budget.

The 120" size I chose is right on the edge for 720p at my seating distance. With glasses, my vision corrects out to 20/15. In certain circumstances, if I try, I can see individual pixels. If I move only a few feet closer, pixels are obvious.

I think 720p for my situation is perfectly adequate. Since you'll be a little further away looking at a smaller screen, 720 should be fine. I've never done a side by side comparison, but from what I've read of people who have upgraded, the difference between 720 and 1080 is more incremental than startling.

Even after all I've said, I still would spend the extra money for the HD20 if at all possible. I'm thinking that gradations will be a little smoother and I just like the idea of watching BD in the native resolution. The only potential problem is upressing an SD DVD. I don't know if that extra jump degrades the image compared to 720. We use a PS3 as our player and it does a great job of upressing DVD's. A well mastered DVD can look really great.

Best of luck, I think you'll be pleased with either choice!

BTW my friends, even those with fairly large LCD TV's, can't get over the big projected image. We have a group that bribes us with dinner every month just for the chance to come watch a movie on the big screen!
post #7 of 42 Old 03-17-10, 01:26 PM
Senior Shackster
chad

Quote:
DougMac wrote: View Post
Welcome to the Shack, Philip!
I have the Optoma HD65. The HD20 was not available when I bought mine. I'm shooting it on a 120" screen and seating is 11' away.

I did a lot of reading and calculating before determining screen size. The projector had already been purchased, plus back then (things change fast), the 1080 i/p offerings were beyond my budget.

The 120" size I chose is right on the edge for 720p at my seating distance. With glasses, my vision corrects out to 20/15. In certain circumstances, if I try, I can see individual pixels. If I move only a few feet closer, pixels are obvious.

I think 720p for my situation is perfectly adequate. Since you'll be a little further away looking at a smaller screen, 720 should be fine. I've never done a side by side comparison, but from what I've read of people who have upgraded, the difference between 720 and 1080 is more incremental than startling.

Even after all I've said, I still would spend the extra money for the HD20 if at all possible. I'm thinking that gradations will be a little smoother and I just like the idea of watching BD in the native resolution. The only potential problem is upressing an SD DVD. I don't know if that extra jump degrades the image compared to 720. We use a PS3 as our player and it does a great job of upressing DVD's. A well mastered DVD can look really great.

Best of luck, I think you'll be pleased with either choice!

BTW my friends, even those with fairly large LCD TV's, can't get over the big projected image. We have a group that bribes us with dinner every month just for the chance to come watch a movie on the big screen!
I agree, I would go 1080p but if you cant your not going to suffer with 720p and dont think the difference is going to be night and day cause your gonna be let down if you think that. The quality of the player you use will also factor in, if you run it into a reciever or processor some will affect the signal in a postive way, some in a negative and some will simply pass the signal along.
So in close if 720p works for your budget you will love it, get 1080 if you can but dont sweat it. I bet if we did a test of folks looking at 720p vs 1080p in a blind format most would fail, even "experts" would likely surprise you as I would bet my Projector most would get it wrong. Cheers
post #8 of 42 Old 03-17-10, 08:51 PM
Senior Shackster
Instal

I agree that the difference is incremental and not startling, however my advice is to stretch the budget to the limit and by the best pj you can. I consulted many a expert when I was buying a new laptop and the most common and seemingly good advice was to buy the best I could afford. The pj world doesn't change quite as quickly as computers but I think the advice is sound in both cases. If nothing else you will be able to go a bit longer before getting the upgrade itch and if you read this forum you will find that the itch happens faster than you think it wll!
post #9 of 42 Old 03-17-10, 10:44 PM
Senior Shackster
chad

Quote:
Instal wrote: View Post
I agree that the difference is incremental and not startling, however my advice is to stretch the budget to the limit and by the best pj you can. I consulted many a expert when I was buying a new laptop and the most common and seemingly good advice was to buy the best I could afford. The pj world doesn't change quite as quickly as computers but I think the advice is sound in both cases. If nothing else you will be able to go a bit longer before getting the upgrade itch and if you read this forum you will find that the itch happens faster than you think it wll!
Thats why I would also think about a more hi end used unit..........that way somebody else took the hit for depreciation and you make your dollar really work for you! I just got a Sony Ruby that was $10,000 2 years ago for $750...........and it had under 200 hrs on it. You are likely gonna get the itch to upgrade like wisely noted above so buy used so you dont cry when its worth half what you paid for it!
post #10 of 42 Old 03-18-10, 12:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I think the one big difference between 720p and 1080p is that you get 1080p 24, It gives you a smoother film like image as it was meant to be seen.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900