Are projectors still a secret? - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 03:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Are projectors still a secret?

I see your point, but projectors dont like being bounced around and the bulb life could defiantly be shortened by constantly setting it up and putting away. I dont know of a projector that can throw an image larger than 72" at less than 10ft.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 04:10 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I see your point, but projectors dont like being bounced around and the bulb life could defiantly be shortened by constantly setting it up and putting away. I dont know of a projector that can throw an image larger than 72" at less than 10ft.
The Panasonic PT-AE4000U can throw that size at about 7 ft. The other mainstream LCD could handle this as well.

I've not seen many apartments with a living area smaller than 10feet either. We are speaking in most terms here and the bulb will be fine as long as your careful with it.

One could also put one of the LCD projectors on a rear shelf and use lens shift to setup the image. TVs have their advantages, but if you want a big screen projectors are a pretty good option for the technically inclined.
post #93 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 07:45 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Since we moved, I had to put my projector in a less than ideal room. It's putting up about a 60" image on a wall about 8' away. Because the image is so small, the fact I don't have light control in the room didn't matter! I can watch football on a sunday afternoon with light through the windows and it still looks great. This is a Z4 with a bulb at the end of its life (about 4k hours). I'm just putting in on the wall now (which is about to get the painted screen treatment from our other forum).

So there's no installation where a projector absolutely can't be used. You just have to be creative

post #94 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 11:13 PM
Melvin R Harris

so whats the average life expediences of a DLP i use mine for gaming maybe 4 to 5 hrs per day
post #95 of 114 Old 01-08-10, 07:24 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Depends. Lumens, manufacturer, smart lamp driver (cuts actual brightness of the bulb instead of dimming panels), cooling, etc.

2000 Hrs is a good middle ground. But mine is almost double that now. Some people get well more than that. Originally I planned on replacing every 18 months. I'm a little over 3 years now (I'd have to check the receipts ) and on the original bulb. As always, your mileage may vary.
post #96 of 114 Old 01-15-10, 02:49 PM
Shackster
Gremlin

Are projectors still a secret?

Hi guys, saw the thread light on and couldn't help but pop in.

Here in Australia the idea of PJ's being a secret society is becoming more of an urban myth these days. With the current low pricing of PJ's and some very heavy and aggresive advertising from Home Theater centres, PJ's are gaining more acceptance by the day.

Although what has really had an impact here in Australia comes from an unlikely source, our local building industry. You only have to take a trip to any one of the many 'New Display Home' villages and you'll find just about every house has a room which doubles as a games/HT room with a PJ running. It's the Wow factor for sure but it's bringing awareness of PJ's to the forefront. People may not want the house as they are only just out there tyre kicking, but they see the PJ using a blank wall and think "I can do this" and thus another convert is born. Sure a lot of them won't understand the need for calibration etc but most average Joe's are just happy with the plug and play idea and will be happy with it.

Which begs the question, is it poor marketing from the manufactures or the distributors??? From what I've seen in here there are no shortage of converts all ready to spread the message.
post #97 of 114 Old 01-15-10, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Instal

Very interesting Gremlin. I haven't been condo shopping here in Victoria so I can't say if that is happening here or not but what a great idea for a wow factor. It seems to me that the manufacturers could do more to promote their PJ's but for some it would compete with their TV sales so I wonder if it is not persued as agressively fr that reason?
post #98 of 114 Old 01-15-10, 09:59 PM
Shackster
Gremlin

Quote:
Instal wrote: View Post
Very interesting Gremlin. I haven't been condo shopping here in Victoria so I can't say if that is happening here or not but what a great idea for a wow factor. It seems to me that the manufacturers could do more to promote their PJ's but for some it would compete with their TV sales so I wonder if it is not persued as agressively fr that reason?
On a different topic Instal, have you a full HT system or are you in the process of either a] buying one or b] updating yours?
post #99 of 114 Old 01-16-10, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Instal

I guess you would say I have a full HT system. I currently have a Sanyo z5 on a 106" screen with a Harmon Kardon AVR 525 7.1 to Klipsch RB81 speakers. I was considering updating the PJ to the Panasonic 4000U but the pricing in Canada is nothing short of highway robbery so I'm undecided.
post #100 of 114 Old 01-16-10, 11:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Quote:
Instal wrote: View Post
I was considering updating the PJ to the Panasonic 4000U but the pricing in Canada is nothing short of highway robbery so I'm undecided.
I agree. There are a lot of electronics that are sold in the USA for 25-50% less than they are sold in Canada. Onkyo receivers are a major one.

All you need to do to get around it though is take a vacation, if you do take regular vacations, in the USA for a week and then you can bring back $750 duty free per person. So $1500 between you and your wife and add more if you have kids. Go through an obscure border checkpoint and half the time they don't even care as long as it's not alcohol, tobacco or firearms.