Are projectors still a secret? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 114 Old 09-07-07, 08:10 AM
Shackster
fred33

Re: Are projectors still a secret?

This true with all technology... the initial "prototypes" are going to be expensive, but as the need is created so the prices usually drop over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 114 Old 09-08-07, 06:17 AM
Senior Shackster
gs

I think most people just don't want a front projector. They want a flat screen TV. Front projectors have been the beneficiaries of rear projection TV sales, because those are what have been the market force. Now with the drop of RPTV sales because flat screen prices have dropped, we may see stagnation in the FP market as well.
post #13 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 08:41 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Projectors are too cumbersome for a Big Box retailer to sell effectively. A tube/panel TV takes up 5 sqft where as a projector needs to be back a good 10 feet from a big screen in a dark room to be shown effectively.

The good audio specialty stores have dedicated rooms to do this and showcase other HT gear. Of course they don't normally swap out the projector unless you are really serious about buying and set up a viewing time.

I ended up buying an Epson 550 LCD projector off Ebay for $500 (a steal) and $50 for shipping. I built my own screen out of laminate for a cool $70. Nowhere could I get the PQ and screen size for $620 or quadruple that in a flat panel.

It is more complicated to set up and I do agree that many people don't know what the scoop is about projectors. My parent's thought it would be something like an old slide projector. They were flabbergasted when they saw it in action for the first time. In fact most people who've watched a movie on my system are blown away at first. Most people I know haven't actually seen a HT projector in action.

post #14 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 09:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

For myself, the lack of a dedicated room means several windows to deal with, plus the room doubles as a living room and in addition because of a supporting post, mounting a projector would be problematic at best. The short version, some of us aren't fortunate enough to have a suitable environment for them.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #15 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 01:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The big drawback of using a projector for a TV is that most households use the TV at least 3 hrs a day and given the cost of the projector bulbs it is not cost effective as a TV.
Strictly for movie watching is another story as then most projectors are only on about 6hrs a week substantially lengthening the bulb life.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #16 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 01:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Tony makes a very good point and I wonder if people with projectors can tell us what affects the bulb most: the number of hours that it's on or the number of times that it is turned on and off. As I recall my electronics, the current surge for a lamp is the most stressful time but I'm not sure that's true with new technology.

Bob

post #17 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 01:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I know for a fact that turning on a projector before its been off for at least 2hrs is very hard on the bulb. In our house the TV gets turned on and off many times a day and that would be very hard on a projector.
Bulbs cost around $300-$450 each and last around 2000hrs so used as a TV this could be less than a year of use. Plus the heat generated by the projector and you who live in Hot climates this could also shorten the lifespan.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #18 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 09:55 PM
Senior Shackster
gs

The bulb problem is real, but also there for rear projection sets and those have been very popular. Front projectors are not TVs. They can't be kept on, just for company, in a bright room. They are home theater.
post #19 of 114 Old 09-25-07, 11:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The cost of bulbs is no longer an issue for a lot of people. There is a growing number of people who do DIY projectors. A spin off of the DIY projector community is projector bulbs being sold for $40 to $60 dollars, depending on what model of projector it is and what type of bulb it takes. If you're willing to do a little work by taking the light engine apart and replacing the bulb,you can save big money. The bulbs are being stocked here.
http://www.diypro.us/
Any questions regarding a specific projector can be asked here.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1
"ywh" is suppling the bulbs from China and the store is run by another member in the U.S. by the name of "18wheeler"

post #20 of 114 Old 09-26-07, 06:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

I don't wish to sidetrack this thread, but I found this interesting because it made me more aware of a line separating true (dedicated) home theaters (if I can use that description) versus setups that you can casually watch HD TV.

Bob