Are projectors still a secret? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 114 Old 09-26-07, 09:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Are projectors still a secret?

Quote:
gsmollin wrote: View Post
The bulb problem is real, but also there for rear projection sets and those have been very popular. Front projectors are not TVs. They can't be kept on, just for company, in a bright room. They are home theater.
Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
I don't wish to sidetrack this thread, but I found this interesting because it made me more aware of a line separating true (dedicated) home theaters (if I can use that description) versus setups that you can casually watch HD TV.

Bob
I don't think they are a secret myself and agree with the various posts, but Bob and gs nailed it if you ask me... I think there is a big misconception about them. As good as they can be, a projector isn't going to look like an HDTV or can be used as a TV and I think that's what some people expect. There certainly isn't anything wrong with watching cable or satellite programming on a projector, but it's not the same as a dedicated HDTV set, at least in my opinion.

Projectors are a bit softer and more film like and some people just don't like that. They want the big bright over saturated look of TV and I know some that swear projectors look horrible by comparison. It's just a difference in viewing tastes to me.

Then the bulb issue... projectors eat bulbs much faster than RPTV's (CRT projector guys have it made in this area) plus as the bulb ages the picture brightness drops off, adding to the mind set that they are dimmer and more of a pain. We have a 55" SXRD HDTV in our living room as well as the 106" screen for the projector. For casual viewing or certain movies we use the 55" set, for big epic movies we use the projector.

I was seriously looking at the 70" JVC HDTV and possibly thinking of just dumping the projector altogether, but still liked the film like look and larger size the projector had to offer. I think we'll be seeing some 80" HDTV's at reasonable prices soon and that's going to have an impact on the projector market for sure... brighter more vibrant images, easier to install, ability to be watched any time...

Will HDTVs reach a size where it's a death call for projectors? Nah. Projectors will change in their uses and size will go even bigger. I can't wait for the technology that's coming that will reduce bulb prices or even eliminate the need for replacement altogether (laser projectors). The big HDTV may replace a projector in the living room, but that same projector may find a new home in the bedroom, or as an outdoor theater, pool theater... the possibilities are endless. Once place I never see HDTV replacing projectors though is in dedicated HT setups. There projectors are still king, but that's also what they were really made for, not just a 'big' TV.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 114 Old 10-28-07, 11:53 PM
Senior Shackster
gs

There is one real advantage for a front projector- it's small size. The screen is a passive device, and can be rolled up into the ceiling when not in use. If the walls are white enough, it can be just a wall. Now imagine trying to sell a 100 inch big screen TV to your wife. It is absolutely huge, jet black, and takes over the room decor. This is one really good thing about a front projector. I know it made my HT possible. I have no place to put such a large screen, but the roll-up screen works great. When it's up, there is a book case, and a small screen TV behind it.
post #23 of 114 Old 10-29-07, 09:42 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Same here for me. The 55" HDTV was taking up way too much room in the HT, and I knew nothing larger would work in the room. When it was time to upgrade, the projector made it possible to go bigger without intruding more.

It even made speaker placement easier and the sound better (no more weird cavity effects off the RPTV enclosure).

Happy Sanyo Z4 owner!

post #24 of 114 Old 11-06-07, 07:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Richard W. Haines

The only reason I got into DLP projection was because I saw it demonstrated at a film collector's house.
I thought the quality was superior to 16mm but not as good as optimum 35mm (camera negative print
or dye transfer Technicolor print) but much better than the high speed print shown in megaplexes
so I took the plunge. None of the stores near have any type of demonstration of the technology
which is one of the main problems. No one is going to purchase a DLP unless they've seen it in
operation which is especially important due to some people's problem with rainbow effect distortion.
On top of that none of the retail stores in my area have sales personnel that don't have any knowledge
of electronics. The most they can do is check you out when you pay. You have to do all of your
own research on line or with other people who know something about it like this site which is another
problem in expanding the consumer base.

Another problem is that DLP's had a lot of bad press when they were introduced in cinemas because they didn't prove to be reliable. Heat build up in the machines when they were in constant use so they defaulted and shut down and the managers had to switch back to 35mm projection. This happened at some trade screenings of Hollywood movies. As it turns out, DLP's work great for home theaters since they aren't in use for ten hours non-stop but anyone who saw problems in cinemas might be reluctant
to invest in the format even though it's a much higher end machine that they used (professional
DLPs are in the $100,000 range).
post #25 of 114 Old 11-07-07, 08:50 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Quote:
Richard W. Haines wrote: View Post
As it turns out, DLP's work great for home theaters since they aren't in use for ten hours non-stop but anyone who saw problems in cinemas might be reluctant
to invest in the format even though it's a much higher end machine that they used (professional
While not a common occurrence, my LCD projector is sometimes on for 12 to 14 hours in a single sitting (but not every day). Sundays during football season come to mind.

So not all home projectors are babied!
post #26 of 114 Old 11-07-07, 09:31 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
For myself, the lack of a dedicated room means several windows to deal with, plus the room doubles as a living room and in addition because of a supporting post, mounting a projector would be problematic at best. The short version, some of us aren't fortunate enough to have a suitable environment for them.

Bob

Ahh, another victim of untruths. I own a Marantz PJ and it is my only display and is used for all viewing. Weekends I watch football all day both days. My HT is my living room as well. I have a floor to ceiling double window, front door with top pane glass, and a skylight. Then movies and a little bit of HD programming at nights. How many people do daytime viewing other than on the weekends?
Sure it looks better in the dark but is totally watchable in the daytime. Especially if I run the iris wide.
And I've never had to take it out of Eco lamp mode.
post #27 of 114 Old 11-07-07, 09:36 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
As good as they can be, a projector isn't going to look like an HDTV or can be used as a TV and I think that's what some people expect. There certainly isn't anything wrong with watching cable or satellite programming on a projector, but it's not the same as a dedicated HDTV set, at least in my opinion.

Projectors are a bit softer and more film like and some people just don't like that. They want the big bright over saturated look of TV and I know some that swear projectors look horrible by comparison. It's just a difference in viewing tastes to me.

I just don't agree with that. My PJ BLOWS my best friends 720P LCD t.v(Sharp Aquos), blows it away bad.
This PJ looks 95% as good as my 1080p rptv dlp(sammy) and instead of 50" it's 110".
-JMO

This is true, if the buyer doesn't understand or appreciate a real picture and wants fake crayloa colors they would be unhappy, but not hugely. It's not like these things look like plasma with a white filter over it...
-again jmo
post #28 of 114 Old 11-07-07, 09:40 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Quote:
Richard W. Haines wrote: View Post
As it turns out, DLP's work great for home theaters since they aren't in use for ten hours non-stop but anyone who saw problems in cinemas might be reluctant

Maybe they've come a long way then, as I ran my Mitsu HC1500 for 10+ hours a day forsix days straight before selling it for my current Marantz. Since then I have put 10+ hours straight on it every weekend.(both days) Haven't had one issue.

Also, if you think ahead companies like 'Mack' have a warranty for replacement lamps making them 'just as' cost effective as RPTV's. Mine was $85 for TWO lamps.
post #29 of 114 Old 11-07-07, 09:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Richard W. Haines

I can't answer for LCD projectors. I just know that DLPs have had problems in cinemas which
is why they weren't universally installed after claims that they would replace film prints. It didn't
happen and it doesn't look it's going to happen for quite a while due to their cost and reliability
in the field. I'm not even sure that cinemas will last in the long run. There are too many
screens right now given the limited amount of product and weekly attendence is very paltry
compare the past with an occasional blockbuster exception. Most megaplexes survive solely
on concessions and commercials which is a shaky position to be in. At the very least,
some of the 37,000 screens will fold. When attendence was more than half
of the US population in the forties', there were only 20,000 screens and that seemed to be
the right number until the nineties when the megaplexes began their major expansion.

Back to the original discussion, I don't think projectors are a secret (most retail stores carry them) as opposed to the problem that they haven't figured out how to market them to consumers. Most of the demos they have in stores are for large screen monitors with a comfortable chair and surround speakers. No one has a darkened screening room to visit to see a projected image on a large screen
to sell the concept of a home theater.
post #30 of 114 Old 11-07-07, 09:50 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Yeah, it does seem the theaters are going away slowly.
But I think instead of selling the "HT", they should sell as big screen alternative to t.v.'s.
-jmo