Are projectors still a secret? - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 114 Old 11-15-07, 12:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Are projectors still a secret?

Keep in mind that there are many people who still have no clue that HD TV is as good as it is. I was just in an HMV store yesterday and the sales person asked me as I was looking at the HD DVDs "do I have an HD DVD player" I said "yes" and then he proceeded to say that he gets at least two people a day that return HD or Blu-Ray DVDs that have been bought form his store saying that "they did not work" and it turns out that they only have an standard DVD player.
I have a cousin who thinks that his Samsung Upconverting DVD player IS HD quality and wont be getting a True HD/Blu-Ray DVD palyer. And he wont listen to me when I tell him he is wrong.
The industry is not educating people on the advantages of Projectors/Plasma/LCD/DLP displays and High Definition video. I Just have a Sanyo Z2 and I will never go to a movie theater again because I have better picture quality and sound than any theater I have been to in my opinion and others who have been over. As a matter of fact I have two friends that have now started to build there own theater rooms because of the experience they had at my house.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 114 Old 11-15-07, 12:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Keep in mind that there are many people who still have no clue that HD TV is as good as it is. I was just in an HMV store yesterday and the sales person asked me as I was looking at the HD DVDs "do I have an HD DVD player" I said "yes" and then he proceeded to say that he gets at least two people a day that return HD or Blu-Ray DVDs that have been bought form his store saying that "they did not work" and it turns out that they only have an standard DVD player.
I have a cousin who thinks that his Samsung Upconverting DVD player IS HD quality and wont be getting a True HD/Blu-Ray DVD palyer. And he wont listen to me when I tell him he is wrong.
The industry is not educating people on the advantages of Projectors/Plasma/LCD/DLP displays and High Definition video. I Just have a Sanyo Z2 and I will never go to a movie theater again because I have better picture quality and sound than any theater I have been to in my opinion and others who have been over. As a matter of fact I have two friends that have now started to build there own theater rooms because of the experience they had at my house.
I have always questioned how ready the general public will be when the US switches to HD in 2009. I think there may be opportunities for people who are knowledgable in HD to provide services for those who don't understand what is involved. Despite all the warnings, I think there are going to be a lot of people calling shops when they get up and find that their TVs aren't working. I also think the industry is trying but there are just too many people not paying attention.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."

Last edited by Bob_99; 11-15-07 at 12:52 PM.
post #43 of 114 Old 11-15-07, 05:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
I have always questioned how ready the general public will be when the US switches to HD in 2009.
Quote:
Despite all the warnings, I think there are going to be a lot of people calling shops when they get up and find that their TVs aren't working.
Even if all broadcasts are done in digital after 2009 you'll be sure that the cable/satellite providers will have a converter box for those with analog TVs. Many providers are already digital so really it doesn't have much of an impact. The only people it's going to really affect is the ones that get their stations over-the-air via their antenna. I'm sure there will be plenty digital-analog converter boxes available to them when the time comes.

post #44 of 114 Old 11-16-07, 03:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
I'm sure there will be plenty digital-analog converter boxes available to them when the time comes.
Yes, the converters will be available but I still think that a lot of people aren't paying attention and will not know to buy them. I may be wrong but from what I've seen of human nature, I tend to believe that a lot of people have to be hit over the head before they pay attention.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #45 of 114 Old 11-16-07, 07:06 PM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Quote:
Yes, the converters will be available but I still think that a lot of people aren't paying attention and will not know to buy them. I may be wrong but from what I've seen of human nature, I tend to believe that a lot of people have to be hit over the head before they pay attention.

Bob
A store says that they will offer them to customers for around 40$ when everything goes digital and people need them. That should help out. Spread the word and people will understand.

Last edited by thewire; 11-16-07 at 07:16 PM. Reason: delted store name since not relevant
post #46 of 114 Old 11-18-07, 12:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Quote:
E-A-G-L-E-S wrote: View Post
1. I think you must have not seen some good quality PJ's. My Marantz looks every bit as good or better than any LCD flat panel I've ever seen and better than alot of DLP's and plasmas in PQ.
I didn't say the PQ on projectors was bad. It is pretty good on even modest ones. What I was implying was that if a 100" plasma, or some other technology rather than projection, was available for the same price and quality the convenience of a flat panel would win out.

Quote:
E-A-G-L-E-S wrote: View Post
2. If you are happy with t.v. speakers I don't know what to say. Audio is half of HD. Speakers in t.v.'s(especially flat panels) are aweful and would totally ruin a good HD experience for me.

-jmo
I wouldn't say that I would be happy but many are happy with stereo sound coming out of their TVs. If that wasn't true then TVs wouldn't come with speakers or the speakers in the TV would be one of the main selling points.
post #47 of 114 Old 11-18-07, 09:11 AM
Senior Shackster
Matt

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
I didn't say the PQ on projectors was bad. It is pretty good on even modest ones. What I was implying was that if a 100" plasma, or some other technology rather than projection, was available for the same price and quality the convenience of a flat panel would win out.

I wouldn't say that I would be happy but many are happy with stereo sound coming out of their TVs. If that wasn't true then TVs wouldn't come with speakers or the speakers in the TV would be one of the main selling points.

1. I agree completely, mistook what you were trying to say.

2. I have found that especially with the new FP's that people are finding the speakers to be horrible even compared to their CRT's circa the 90's. I have yet to meet one person who spent the money on an HDTV and was happy with the speakers. They might not have went out and bought speakers, but only if they didn't have the extra funds to spend.
post #48 of 114 Old 11-18-07, 04:04 PM
Shackster

<^..^>SJ

There are a few fundemental issues with new technologies which are obvious to some, not very clear to others and completely lost on a few.

Once there wasn't much choice, a CRT display of various sizes and projection CRT for the few. The situation was simple for the consumer, need a TV, go to store, choose one that fits the money in the wallet, walk out of the store with silly grin

Now in the last few years the choice is imense, let alone the minor brand differences the types of different display technologies leave most in a state of flux with information overload.

When I first mentioned projection to my partner she thought I meant a like the old school reel to reel wobbly sound track. At that point she didn't get it.
Most people only understand projectors once they have seen one in action, set up reasonbly correctly.

Before anyone gets this far though, some hurdles need to be addressed.

The first major hurdle for the consumer, First you must ask the right questions.

The second major hurdle is, Do you know what you actually want?

The third major hurdle, the answer must fit the question being asked.

It could be argued that the response fits the seller not the consumer and here is one of the fundemental issues.

The average person who frequents these types of forums tends towards the informed consumer and can go into a store and ask the right question, being informed that consumer also has a fair idea if the response is the correct answer.

You might think, what the is this guy on about?
Well Projection is a secret because it is easier to sell straight forward technology as LCD or plasma DTV's.

Projectors are more about the total experience of field of view and acceptence of an artificial reality than the technology itself. The technology is really a means to an ends, if it could be done easier you would do that instead.

Light changes what it is doing depending if we are looking or not. Considering we only see this as a reflection of the past....what is it really doing now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by <^..^>Smokey Joe; 11-27-07 at 01:45 PM.
post #49 of 114 Old 02-05-08, 08:44 PM
BleedingStar

I know this is an old thread, and I apologize for bumping it... but on the cost issue... i paid $500 for my projector brand new, and admittedly it is an entry level... i still challenge anyone to find as awesome of a rear projected tv for $500. I personally think projectors are the CHEAPER route to go. The only downfall is daytime viewing.
post #50 of 114 Old 02-06-08, 10:00 AM
Shackster
laser

Quote:
BleedingStar wrote: View Post
I personally think projectors are the CHEAPER route to go. The only downfall is daytime viewing.
You resurrected this old thread, but I'm brand-new, so I'll bite: pjs HAVE gotten cheaper than standalones, but there are numerous ancillary issues associated with them that standalones don't have: screen type and size, fixed vs. electric/pulldown, throw distance/pj positioning, light blockage/traffic between pj and screen, possible keystoning, ambient light/reflections, location of sources vs. cabling to pj, etc. etc.

Most "normal" people, like my wife, just want to push one button to turn on the TV and get a picture with sound. It CAN BE almost that easy for a pj, but again you gotta spend more money e.g. remote-with-macros or HTPC-with-touchscreen ad nauseum.

My wife wouldn't even like the remote-with-single-macro-button idea, cuz she'd complain she couldn't find the right remote control! Or the right button on it! EMID! (everyone's mileage is different!)