Are projectors still a secret? - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: Are projectors still a secret?

I thought I'd toss my two cents into this thread based on my experience.

How did I become a projector owner?

In october of 2008 I had been watching Blu-Rays thinking about how to get a bigger TV because I wasn't satisfied with the size of my 27" Sanyo anymore. So I started looking at TVs and even the 32" ones were far out of my budget range.

I thought how can I possibly get a bigger picture when I don't have enough to even buy a 32" tv. Then a light bulb went off. I could get a projector. So I started researching and discovered the Optoma EP719 that was used and only cost 150. It wasn't quite HD, but it was still 1024 x768 and probably better than the CRT or the 32" TV I thought about getting.

So I pulled the trigger. I had to rearrange my room completely to put the projector on a rear shelf. I had to use books and key-stoning to get the picture just right, but once I got it right it was a huge upgrade. The picture is way better than my old tv and the size is 80" on my current wall for widescreen. The bonus is for 4:3 material I get even bigger. It also forced my wife to allow me to move the couch away from the rear wall when I moved into her place making for better acoustics. Now I did have to replace the lamp, but still I get a way better deal than any tv in my budget.

It wasn't hard for me to setup or time consuming, but I'm an expert with Projectors. Still if your on a tight budget I'd be happy to help you with a low cost setup that would smash the old 27" tv. I can use it with a light on in the room and during the day with a curtain on the windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 11:17 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I have to chuckle every time I see this thread title. Projectors were the beginning of the whole Home Theater business. It was the Advent VideoBeam 1000 that started the whole thing. Many of the really successful dealers use projectors in a theater setting to excite people about home theater in general. IMO, any serious dealer that does not FEATURE projectors is really missing the greatest opportunity to create an impression. Unfortunately, we have seen 35 years of manufacturers and dealers missing the point.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #73 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 11:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
I have to chuckle every time I see this thread title. Projectors were the beginning of the whole Home Theater business.
Thats really hitting the nail on the head, In my opinion a "home theater" is not a real home theater if it does not have a projector. Once you have one it would be very hard to go back to a flat panel display.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #74 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 12:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

You guys are killing me here! I just purchased the Pioneer 141FD and was convinced that I couldn't get a projector in my viewing area but after reading some of these posts, maybe I should have tried harder. Especially since my wife (as I'm in the process of getting the area ready for the new display) volunteers to take everything off the wall and move any furniture that was against the wall (essentially giving me the whole wall). Now I'm going crazy second guessing myself.

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."
post #75 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 12:47 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
You guys are killing me here! I just purchased the Pioneer 141FD and was convinced that I couldn't get a projector in my viewing area but after reading some of these posts, maybe I should have tried harder. Especially since my wife (as I'm in the process of getting the area ready for the new display) volunteers to take everything off the wall and move any furniture that was against the wall (essentially giving me the whole wall). Now I'm going crazy second guessing myself.
If it makes you feel better Projectors are more work. Tape measures and good climbing skills are often required. I also service my own PJ which means I have to take it apart to fix it.
post #76 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 12:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

If you watch alot of TV a projector is not a good option as the bulb life is a factor most people dont count and in the end going to cost you more.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #77 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 01:12 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
If you watch alot of TV a projector is not a good option as the bulb life is a factor most people dont count and in the end going to cost you more.
Not as much of a factor these days. Most bulbs last a long time with proper care. the Epsons usually come with spare bulbs and have a life around 4 -5 k hours. I watch TV all the time on my PJ.
post #78 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 01:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I know some people have gotten 3 to 5K out of bulbs but thats not the norm 2.5k is a lot more accurate particularly if you live in a hot climate. Some people even have failure at less than 2k hours.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #79 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 01:22 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Lamp life varies greatly with the projector and lamp. Some of the newer projectors are claiming 4K hours or thereabouts for lamp life.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #80 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 01:50 PM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
If it makes you feel better Projectors are more work. Tape measures and good climbing skills are often required. I also service my own PJ which means I have to take it apart to fix it.
It does. Thanks.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."