Are projectors still a secret? - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 114 Old 01-04-10, 01:52 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Are projectors still a secret?

It is not like you don't have a nice system, Bob. There is nothing wrong with a panel. And keep that wife, it sounds like she is a good one.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 114 Old 01-05-10, 06:17 PM
Shackster
loong

Projectors Technology have improved over the years and the sad things is the consumers are still ignorant about its capabilities! Prices for a 1080P projectors have dropped dramatically and becoming affordable but yet consumers still not aware of it!
Reasons being 1) consumers knowledge about projectors is low. a point in case, can`t tell a difference between a data projector and a home theatre projector and its usage!
2)Home space such as a room is required and most home in the city is not spacious and thus projection usage for home theatre is a problem.
3) Constant commercial advertising with regards to Plasma/ LCD TV and competitive pricing have induced consumers to buy them in place of projectors.
4) Beside the big screen which the projectors can offer the Audio setup is another cost factor to consider along the projection and thus not affordable to many.
5)The ideas of bulb replacement is another factor that turn consumers off in consideration of projectors.
Based on the 5 factors, consumers are still not ready for projection and it remain a secret to them.
With the progress of special effect in films such as Transformers and 2012, it is a loss not to see it in a big screen at home eating your favourite food which normally not allowed in the cinema!
post #83 of 114 Old 01-06-10, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Instal

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Thats really hitting the nail on the head, In my opinion a "home theater" is not a real home theater if it does not have a projector. Once you have one it would be very hard to go back to a flat panel display.
As the author of this thread I thought I should add my 2c. If the measure of how much one enjoys something is not being able to bear the thought of losing it then my projector ranks #1 amongst my non sencient posessions. I have a couple of vehicles that I am very fond of but they dont give me near the enjoyment my PJ does. Could I go back to a TV and still think I have a home theater? No way. Even after years of owning a PJ I still get a grin and chuckle when that screen comes down. There is a feeling of "event" that happens when I fire up the Z5 that I cant see happening with a TV. No matter what I am doing with it, be it movies games or just TV it raises the enjoyment level exponentially. I feel sad for those that can't look beyond the downsides of PJ ownership that have been mentioned here. IMHO they pale in comparison to the advantages. Sorry Bob back to the doubts.

Last edited by Instal; 01-06-10 at 05:34 PM. Reason: addition

post #84 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 08:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

I whole heartily agree.

My wife wanted to buy me a LCD TV for Christmas this year. Years ago, before owning my projector, I would have been as giddy as a school girl at a Hannah Montana concert. In my opinion a 50" LED LCD is a step down from what I'm used to. Comparable to driving a Kia when I'm used to a Cadillac. My wife was shocked at my apathy towards the idea of a new TV.
post #85 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 11:39 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
I whole heartily agree.

My wife wanted to buy me a LCD TV for Christmas this year. Years ago, before owning my projector, I would have been as giddy as a school girl at a Hannah Montana concert. In my opinion a 50" LED LCD is a step down from what I'm used to. Comparable to driving a Kia when I'm used to a Cadillac. My wife was shocked at my apathy towards the idea of a new TV.
Yeah, I love my PJ so much that I no longer check out TV's in stores. Don't get me wrong I don't put others down for having TVs and I wouldn't want some in my family getting a PJ because it is a lot of work, but for me I enjoy it all. Even the repairs.
post #86 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 11:44 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
skloong wrote: View Post
Projectors Technology have improved over the years and the sad things is the consumers are still ignorant about its capabilities! Prices for a 1080P projectors have dropped dramatically and becoming affordable but yet consumers still not aware of it!
Reasons being 1) consumers knowledge about projectors is low. a point in case, can`t tell a difference between a data projector and a home theatre projector and its usage!
2)Home space such as a room is required and most home in the city is not spacious and thus projection usage for home theatre is a problem.
3) Constant commercial advertising with regards to Plasma/ LCD TV and competitive pricing have induced consumers to buy them in place of projectors.
4) Beside the big screen which the projectors can offer the Audio setup is another cost factor to consider along the projection and thus not affordable to many.
5)The ideas of bulb replacement is another factor that turn consumers off in consideration of projectors.
Based on the 5 factors, consumers are still not ready for projection and it remain a secret to them.
With the progress of special effect in films such as Transformers and 2012, it is a loss not to see it in a big screen at home eating your favourite food which normally not allowed in the cinema!
I'd disagree that a lot of homes are too small for a projector. All you need is a white wall and light control. If you watch only at night a simple curtain could be enough. Nice thing with a projector is you can stow it away. You can't do that with a large tv. For audio all you need is a pair of good speakers and an amp.

The simplest setup would be a pair of active monitors and a PJ use your laptop to play the movies and you got it made.
post #87 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 12:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
I'd disagree that a lot of homes are too small for a projector. All you need is a white wall and light control. If you watch only at night a simple curtain could be enough. Nice thing with a projector is you can stow it away. You can't do that with a large tv. For audio all you need is a pair of good speakers and an amp.

The simplest setup would be a pair of active monitors and a PJ use your laptop to play the movies and you got it made.
Not really true Projectors need at lest 10ft of throw distance in order to make an image large enough to be an advantage over a display.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #88 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Instal

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
I whole heartily agree.

If she was going to give you the green light for a new TV it might be time for that new PJ instead or some audio? Don't let that opportunity slip away they are few and far between at my house!
post #89 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Instal

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post

I think you are correct for the most part. There are sooo many people that think they cant have a projector that actually can. This brings up a thought, I wonder how many people consider a PJ then go to their local brick and mortar and actually get convinced not to by their local know nothing sales reps? Once these people hear the down sides from a "professional" they then spread negative info thereby helpng keep PJ's a secret.
post #90 of 114 Old 01-07-10, 03:39 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Not really true Projectors need at lest 10ft of throw distance in order to make an image large enough to be an advantage over a display.
That depends on the projector and your definition of an advantage. As I said you can't stow away your tv in the closet like you can your projector so in some minimalist rooms it mike actually work better. I'd also suggest a projector to apartment dwellers since they are very easy to move. TV's are not as simple.