1st Projector advice - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 11-06-11, 09:34 AM
Senior Shackster
Ryan

Re: 1st Projector advice

Last I read the release date for the 5010 was "in stores in November 2011." I am a bit concerned that it is November and I have not heard an update.

Please read reviews of current 3D performance. They are all very dim compared to 2D (as in 75% brightness loss). This seems to be as good as it it gets right now, but for some I would expect that to be a deal breaker. Your 92" screen size should help with that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 11-06-11, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Hope you had a great time away Mechman!

I will do that - thanks much!
post #13 of 18 Old 11-08-11, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Question Re: 1st Projector advice

I am trying to determine if the Epson 5010 would work at a throw distance of @19' for a 92" screen while maintaining an optimal FL level.

After taking a look at the Epson 5010 specs, it looks like the zoom is similar to the 8350. I know from using the calculator that the 8350 would work well at that distance. Given the same zoom capability, would the 5010 also work for that throw distance?

Thanks in advance for any input!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-09-11, 12:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Ryan

It seems likely to work, but I'd wait until the manual is posted. A quick search only turned up a spec sheet http://www.projectorpeople.com/SLIS/.../EPSHC5010.pdf. As of this writing, their image size calculator is a 404 link.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-10-11, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Question Re: 1st Projector advice

So, projector central has now added the 5010 into the calculator!

The projector would work at that distance. However, I have a couple questions about the other results:

1. To work at 19', the zoom would need to be set to 1.0. Is this a good thing, bad thing, or it does not matter?

2. With a screen gain of 1.0, the image brightness would be 19 FL. I recall reading that 12-16 is the range you want to shoot for. What setting are these calculations normally done on? (i.e. normal, eco, etc) Can the brightness factor be adjusted by going to a different setting and, if so, does that abnormally affect the picture? If not, is that going to be too bright of a picture?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

post #16 of 18 Old 11-13-11, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has anyone has any input on the questions in the previous post. Pretty close to settling on / purchasing a projector - just hoping someone can answer those questions for me.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

post #17 of 18 Old 11-14-11, 04:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Ryan

Hey, I've been out of town, catching up now.

I think the calculator is being optimistic. For example, a 1.0 gain screen, 100" diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio screen shows 40 foot-Lamberts at its closest position. My spreadsheet equates that to 1200 lumens - that happens to be half of the 2400 rated lumens for this model.

A typical LCD "cinema" mode is 450-650 lumens. This model will certainly do 1200 lumens, but not in "best" mode (a.k.a. cinema). It will be one of the in between modes (a.k.a. living room mode) and yes, you give up picture quality (e.g. color accuracy) and black levels.

I think Projector Central uses the manufacturer's spec as their input until they review it and get actual measurements. After that, I'm not sure what they use, if they account for bulb dimming, etc.

For brightness calculations I use my own spreadsheets rather than rely on their calculator (or verify Projectorcentral's numbers at least). Their calculator is good for image size however (as a precursor for the manual for each model).

To address your question #1, that position at a 92" screen size requires the projector to be "all the way back". This means you'll lose a lot of light (varies by model, but on the order of 40-45% most likely for this model with its long zoom lens). Since you're maxed out it also limits zoom flexibility (play with the calculator). As long as those compromises are OK for you, then it's all good.

Let us know what you decide!
post #18 of 18 Old 11-14-11, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks for the reply Ryan - hope you had a good time away!

I have been locked in on trying to keep the projector in the AV closet which is why I have considered the Epson models - they seem to be one of the few I can see that can do 92" from that distance (and have a decent price point).

After running the numbers through Projector Central and your prior comments about being at the far end of the zoom range, I was pretty uneasy about going with the Epson.

So, two factors pretty much cinch this for me:

1. "To address your question #1, that position at a 92" screen size requires the projector to be "all the way back". This means you'll lose a lot of light (varies by model, but on the order of 40-45% most likely for this model with its long zoom lens). Since you're maxed out it also limits zoom flexibility" - not liking that much light loss.

2. Putting the projector back that far pretty much locks me into a projector with that zoom distance (Epsons pretty much). I don't want to have the limited flexibility.

So, in conclusion, I am pretty set on the Panny AE7000 - let the spending commence!!