Panasonic PT-AE4000U - Dust Spec imperfection on screen? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 15 Old 02-01-12, 09:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System
Re: Panasonic PT-AE4000U - Dust Spec imperfection on screen?

I got my Panasonic PT-AE4000U in Dec of 2010. No puffer provided. I'll look for the holes in the bottom when I get home. I have my own puffer from photography - probably the same thing. Did they include a puffer in later build units? was there instructions for its use?

I have never had a dust problem and don't intend to use a puffer in any holes unless I do.

Good to know of this though.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-26-12, 10:05 PM
Shackster
Carl

My System

First off, I decided to setup an account and everything because you guys spurred me on to open up my projector (PT-AE4000U) and clean it. Thank you! I'm glad I did. I went a little further than the recommendations in the forum and I'd like to return the favor by sharing some pics. I'm totally with the person mechman quoted first in that I bought a couple thousand dollar projector and any little imperfection bothers the out of me.

There was a tiny light spot, which I believed to be dust near the upper right corner of the screen that was only noticeable during very dark scenes, during credits, or when switching inputs (when the screen goes completely black for a moment).

I decided to buy a puffer - Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black. I followed the instructions mentioned and was unsuccessful in removing the blob. I decided to go for it again and try some canned air instead. I blew it out and still nothing. So I opened it up one last time, and I was going to beat the blob this time...

I followed all the steps mechman has quoted in opening it up and went a little further. Instead of reassembling at Step 5, I went ahead and removed the main board. I realize this is crazy talk for some people reading this. I do not recommend anyone doing this, but I will highlight what I did for any adventurous enough / irritated enough like myself.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PROJECTOR! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

You can always send you Projector to a Panasonic certified cleaner to have this done professionally (and obviously you will pay). I did not want to send mine off as there's no one near me in Central Illinois certified by Panasonic.

Here are some pictures inside the projector during my cleaning:
I cannot post this link yet as I don't have 5 posts...

Basically what I did was disconnect all 17 cables (this includes disconnecting the 3 LCD ribbon cables). Before removing them you must first release the lever so that the ribbon cable must be removed. In Photo 6 of the album, you can see the light beige edge which can be lifted with a finger (this is the lever that must be upright).

Then remove the 4 silver screws for the main board. It should be free to be removed assuming you have all cables disconnected. Be careful especially sliding the ribbon cables through the main board as you remove it!

Underneath the main board there is a casing around the light path between the Lamp and the LCDs. Remove the 4 black screws and it will pop right off (the part that pops off is what's in Photo 2). I believe these are the polarizers or some optical filter.

Ok, now to the good stuff. Photo 1 shows the light path. You can actually see where the light enters from the Lamp on the bottom right of the picture, and flows around to each of the 3 LCDs in the center. I noticed a piece of dust on the bluish / clear pane closest to the Lamp. I blew it out with my compressed air, as well as blowing it all over in this region to clean any out any other dust.

I reassembled everything in reverse. Carefully! I reconnected / remounted my projector... Moment of silence. Success! No more dust blob! Perfect looking in all white / all black.

Again, I don't recommend anyone do this, but hopefully this is good information for anyone who may decide to anyway.

Cheers HomeTheaterShack community! I'll post the link to my pics shortly after getting 5 posts...
post #13 of 15 Old 07-26-12, 10:08 PM
Shackster
Carl

My System

Here it is:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1158990...eat=directlink

Thanks again guys! I wish the site didn't have such strict link rules, but I understand the internet's full of junk today.

post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-17, 10:59 PM
Pending

Just a quick thanks for the info on disassembly/cleaning . It took me about an hour and completely fixed the issues I had with dark spots. Was definitely an issue with dust. I did remove the main circuit board, as that's the only real way to get at all the glass surface - but it wasn't difficult. Thanks again!
post #15 of 15 Old 11-19-18, 03:44 AM
Shackster

When using both 2.35:1 and 16:9 aspect images onto a 2.35:1 sized screen. *1. .... Dirt or dust build-up around plugs may cause fire or electrical hazards