Panasonic PT-AE4000U - Dust Spec imperfection on screen? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 01-29-12, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Panasonic PT-AE4000U - Dust Spec imperfection on screen?

Hey all - I just bought a Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector a few weeks ago. (Less than 2 weeks up and running!).

I finally got all the initial glitches sorted out - and now am sitting down to finally truly enjoy the unit.

While watching something very bright - I noticed a spec on the screen. I went up to the screen to brush it off - it is NOT on the screen.

My next move was to examine the area between the PJ and the screen (dangling spider?) and the area was clean.

I even brushed off the lens on the PJ to no avail.

When I look at the lens - it looks like there are many glass surfaces - not just the one I can wipe.

How can I clean this? And is this something I should be concerned with in a NEW Pj? Also - I had an old PJ for 4 years in the same room - never had this issue.

Thanks for any info!

PS - What material/cleaning solution would you guys recommend to clean the lens itself? I do NOT want to smudge or damage the unit of course - nor do I want to leave MORE residue than before it was cleaned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-29-12, 11:35 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Panasonic PT-AE4000U - Dust Spec imperfection on screen?

Lens tissue and alcohol is all I ever use on my SLR lenses.

If its an internal spec of dust, the lens will have to be dissasembled, if possible. Some lens setups are sealed with inert gas. So if you take it apart, you'll ruin the lens.

Hopefully someone els here will be able to help you out with that particular projector.

Ben
post #3 of 15 Old 01-30-12, 09:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

The 4000 has special blow holes on the bottom of the projector, did you not get the puffer that comes with the 4000?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 15 Old 01-30-12, 09:58 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob

It's unusual for a new projector to exhibit dust. I assume the speck is colored. It might be a dead pixel in one of the color channels rather than dust. I would try blowing it out as suggested, and see if it moves. If it doesn't respond to that, you might contact Panasonic. If it's a dead pixel, it won't go away. If it's dust, you should be able to blow it out. Usually, dust particles are out of focus, and show up as colored "blobs" on a black background. If it's a very small speck, it's either directly on one of your LCD panels or its a bad pixel. Anywhere else, and it would be out of focus and more "blobish" so I'm pretty sure it's not a lens issue. You can also try defocusing your lens and see if the speck goes out of focus with the picture. If it does, that a sure sign that it's at the LCD plane.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-30-12, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I called the place I bought it - and they are doing a replacement for me.

What a pain. All that calibration and focusing and mounting.... all to be done again.

I appreciate the quick responses - I will update the thread when I get the new unit.

Last edited by mechman; 01-30-12 at 02:15 PM. Reason: language
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-12, 02:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Write down the settings in the one you have so at least you can just re enter them again. There should be little to no difference between the one you have and the replacement.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-12, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The colors looked superb ootb - just had to adjust brightness for the black levels so show right.

The real pain is the mounting - leveling - and actually focusing of this PJ.

Last edited by tesseract; 01-30-12 at 05:03 PM. Reason: language
post #8 of 15 Old 01-31-12, 10:39 PM
Senior Shackster
Ryan

For the future reference of other Panny AE3000/4000 owners, here's a link to a thread discussing this problem which contains links to other threads showing a detailed DIY cleaning operation. This known design issue/limitation was my only hesitation in purchasing an AE4000 myself, but thus far (after ~1.5 months) it has not been an issue for me.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-31-12, 10:40 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The 4000 has special blow holes on the bottom of the projector, did you not get the puffer that comes with the 4000?
Are you telling me an engineer actually used his/her brain for once? lol

Ben
post #10 of 15 Old 02-01-12, 08:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Twin_Rotor wrote: View Post
Are you telling me an engineer actually used his/her brain for once? lol
LOL, I have not had to use them yet but its a good thought to have access to properly placed holes to blow dust that may get on the LCD panels. The puffer is a nice touch.

Home theater:

Living room system: