White Balance Issue - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 24 Old 03-10-13, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

White Balance Issue

I own Sony VPL-HW15 for about 3 years. I begin to have a white balance issue since my projector lamp at about 400 hours usage.

At a cinema mode I got a measurement on white balance on 6500K with average gamma at 2.2 (after calibration) when was new. After 400 hours of usage. The best result after calibration is 8000K for white balance and gamma at 1.5.

With a help of Lumagen and Cokin 85C filter. I calibrate to 6500K for white balance and gamma 1.97.
The problem is it due to projector lamp or others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-12-13, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: White Balance Issue

Is it normal for projector lamp last only 400 hours for best picture quality?
post #3 of 24 Old 03-12-13, 05:13 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

It is unusual for the color temperature to go up that much. How many hours did you have on the lamp at the first calibration?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.

post #4 of 24 Old 03-12-13, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The first time I was calibrate my projector went I brought Spyder TV three years ago. The software use for calibration is ColorHCFR. At that time the lamp hours is less than 50. Second time calibrate when the lamp hours was 200 hours. White balance reading is close to 6500K.

The third time I calibrate when the lamp hours was 400. With a projector setting remain during second calibration. The reading for white balance is above 10000K. After I increase Red gain and bias to max and reduce Blue gain and bias to min. The reading for white balance is about 8000K.

I suspect is a meter giving an error reading. Next I brought Calman 4 and i1 Display Pro meter last years. I took the reading, and the result almost similar.

Next step, I try with varies Cokin filter to attach in front of projector lens and recalibrate. I end-up with 85C filter. At 80IRE the DeltaE is bellow 3 and the 30IRE DeltaE is between 5 to 10(I canít recall the actual reading). Not bad, but the average gamma at 1.5. The picture looks wash-up and low contrast.
I am not happy with a picture quality vs. the cost for setup-up my home theatre room. Lately I brought LumagenMini to add on my system. At the same time my software upgrade to Calman 5 with 125point color gamut auto calibration.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-14-13, 08:19 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Get your meter chscked. Tri Stim colorimeters have filters that can age.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-14-13, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Brand new meter brought form Spectracal.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-14-13, 08:54 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

The original reading was likely off for some reason. Lamps don't increase in color temp as they age, just the opposite usually. That kind of difference would be be a very noticeable change.

post #8 of 24 Old 03-15-13, 12:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Sorry, but I have to disagree with lcaillo on this: Typically UHP lamps decrease in red light output as they age this will increase the colour temperature as it tends to more blue/green.

You can be unlucky with lamps that drift quickly. It might still have a reasonable light output but calibration wise it is going to struggle as you have to cut the blue and green gains to match, which further reduces light output. Of course as has been said the meter could be at fault, but the i1 display Pro (D3) is a bit better than the old i1D2 as I understand it. Also you can send a D3 back for recalibration which you couldn't do with the D2.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-15-13, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

What is the final decisions should I make?

I am thinking to send back i1 display Pro back to Spectracal for calibration and recalibrate the projector after meter return. If the measures result remain the same. Replace projector lamp. Is it the ideal?

If they any possibilities due to others problem like LCoS Panel?
post #10 of 24 Old 03-17-13, 01:08 PM
Senior Shackster

The i1 display Pro can't be that old and unless it's been dropped or otherwise mistreated then I wouldn't expect it to need recalibrating. I know your location might mean a higher humidity zone than where I am, but IIRC it is supposed to be less susceptible to moisture compared to the old i1 D2.

How does it look to you? If it's that far out you should be able to tell.

While 400 hours seems a short time for a lamp, I had a lamp once that dimmed at around 550 hours and the red was getting lower and lower. If you think it's worth spending the money on a new lamp (and not a cheap knock off which may be no better than what you already have) then I'd try that route. There were some issues with Sony LCOS panels, but this was a very long time ago and was in rear projection TVs I believe.