Epson 8350 Auto Iris Error - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 05-20-13, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Epson 8350 Auto Iris Error

My 1 1/2 year old Epson 8350 has and Auto Iris Error which to date has occured maybe 8 times and each time I have had to unplug the projector for a few minutes to get it to work. Anyone have this problem? I believe I have like 1400hrs on it. Why does unplugging the unit make it work again its soo weird. Would Epson cover this under warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-21-13, 12:55 AM
Shackster

Re: Epson 8350 Auto Iris Error

It kinda sounds like the gears on the iris motor / optical block are a little stuck and need to be cleaned or are wearing out, but you have to basically tale the PJ just about all the way apart to get to this location, i am not 100% sure on this but i have seen other Epson owners with the same problem and it ended up being this gears on the iris motor / optical block problem.

I don't own a Epson PJ myself but this might be worth checking this problem out, as other people with a Epson PJ in this model were unplugging it for a bit to get it not to show this auto iris error.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-13-13, 11:12 AM
Shackster
David

I am on my 3rd refurbished 8350 in six months. Two of these units including my current one periodically give me the auto iris error message. I have found I can turn off the power switch for a minute and re-power the unit to correct the problem. I have this problem about twice a month. I will probably swap this unit out under warranty before it expires. I am concerned that out of 3 units two have had this issue, the third unit had a convergence problem. Picture quality is fantastic when it is working.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-13-13, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mine was doing it fairly often but now it hasn't done it in like three months. My warranty is up in February so I'm wondering if I should just get it on record to show I'm already having the problem. I just don't wanna give this unit up as my convergence is almost non existent. How has Epson been about the return and such?
post #5 of 16 Old 06-13-13, 02:34 PM
Shackster
David

They have been great about the returns. They shipped a new (refurbished) projector each time along with the return labels to ship back for free. No questions asked. My first unit started with the error message but began making a rattling noise after a couple of months.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-13-13, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I've actually never had the iris turned on until about a week ago and you know what I think I hear some crunchy noises from it.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-14-13, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

O boy.... just my luck. Just when I finally decide to turn the auto iris on, I believe the bulb died last night. I was not watching it but my wife told me this morning that she went to turn the projector on and nothing. So after taking it down this morning I found nothing projecting and then wait about 2 to 3 minutes and then the fan speeds up and the "lamp" light starts flashing on top of the projector. Guess Def time to call in.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-17-13, 07:02 AM
Shackster
David

Bummer
post #9 of 16 Old 06-17-13, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I spoke with Epson today and told them what happened and they said not a problem and also that the new unit was already sent out.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-17-13, 03:03 PM
Shackster
David

Glad to hear that. They have always been great about replacing my unit, just dissappointed that after 3 I am still having a problem. Also what happens when the warranty runs out?