BenQ Smart Eco Confusion - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 1 Old 12-28-13, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Nick

BenQ Smart Eco Confusion

Hey Everyone,
Hope you all are have had a wonderful holiday season!

I have a question for any BenQ Projector owners with Smart Eco technology. I'm trying to figure out exactly how it works. I have the BenQ W1080ST. It is the short throw version of the W1070.

Here is a quote from Projector Central's review of the W1080ST. They also say the same thing about the W1070.

Quote:
SmartEco mode can reduce light output even more drastically than Eco mode, but there's a catch. In order to really bring down light output, you can't just select a setting from a menu or slider. Instead, you need to find content that has the desired brightness level, then activate SmartEco mode while that content is on screen. The projector will determine, based on the content on screen, what brightness level is appropriate. It will then lock the projector's output at that level until the lamp mode is changed.

If you really want to take down light output, the easy way to do it is to put up a pure black image and then activate SmartEco. That nets you a reduction of about 70% from the projector's maximum. You can fine-tune the setting by using test patterns of differing brightness, but it would be much easier if the projector just included some kind of manual control.
This is the only place I have read this. I have read through other reviews that simply said they just selected "smart eco" and that was that. I even called BenQ and the tech person I spoke with seemed confused when I read him what the Projector Central review said about Smart Eco. He said he had never heard that. The way he understood it was that it was supposed to automatically work when selected regardless of what was on screen. He said he would try to find out more and email me.

All this to ask, do any of you guys use Smart Eco on your BenQ projector? If so, have you tried selecting it while on a dark scene compared to selecting it on a bright scene and taken measurements to see if the screen changes in overall brightness. I have family in town this week, so I have not had much time to play with it yet, but I plan to more after they head back home. But, I don't own a light meter, so it hard for me to judge with just my eyes. Sometimes it's hard to tell if what I'm seeing is just my eyes playing tricks on me.

I'd love to know if any of you guys have perfected how to use Smart Eco, or if Projector Central is just mistaken, and Smart Eco works the same regardless of what is on screen when it is selected.

Thanks so much for your time and input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement