Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p HD Projector - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 56 Old 01-30-08, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p HD Projector

I don't think I could be happier with my setup right about now. The 2000 is just absolutely remarkable... like the Martin Logan's. I couldn't tell you if the color is perfect or not. JimP calibrated my last Z4 and I was really liking what he did... it was a vast improvement over the way it had been previously. He helped me understand a few things and I think the Panny is good on color, but I'm just not positive. It looks good to me though. Where I notice the biggest difference is the detail, sharpness, crispiness of the image. I am very very happy I made this purchase. It will most likely be some while before I worry about upgrading again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 01-30-08, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hello Maikel and welcome to the Shack!

So tell your thoughts on the 2000... how do you like it? What are the major differences you see between it and the former models you owned?
post #33 of 56 Old 01-30-08, 05:16 PM
Shackster
Maikel

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Hello Maikel and welcome to the Shack!

So tell your thoughts on the 2000... how do you like it? What are the major differences you see between it and the former models you owned?
Hello Sonnie,

The 2000 really is the first projector I have ever owned!!

I have seen some projectors at friends' places and retailers so what I can tell is that I have not seen a LCD projecter where the screen-door effect was just absent as it is with the 2000. Only when coming very close to my 2 meter (80 inch) wide screen some pixelation (pixel size 1 mm2) becomes visible. Because I am sitting only 2,75 meter from my screen this was important for me.

Also I am very happy with how the 2000 is working with my Oppo upscaling DVD player. SD-DVDs look amazingly good. You don't really need HD DVDs that bad with this combination. I have seen one Blu Ray movie playing on my PS3. Although you notice that it comes with an higher definition (sharper) to my opinion does not add that much to the whole movie experience. I even found it a bit distracting at times to see the the slight focus errors in the original movie. You can really notice that the camera is focussing on one's ear instead of the eyes for example. That sharp is how it gets!!

In short: I personally have never seen a better performing HT projector, especially with the smooth and yet sharp picture it delivers. There are projectors that are higher in brightness and contrast (and apparently sharper), but I really doubt of any of them deliver this cinema-like picture quality. I am very happy with the 2000!

Last edited by maikeldepotter; 01-30-08 at 05:25 PM. Reason: improve sentence

post #34 of 56 Old 02-06-08, 01:24 PM
Shackster
BrainteeDragons

Hi all,

New to HT Shack... I put my new PT-AE2000U up last night and I LOVE it... I read alot of reviews between the PT-AE2000U and the Epison Home Cinema 1080UB and other... Most of the reviews favored PT-AE2000U so I went with it..

This is my first projector that I bought (my old one was an old Focus Office Projector)... Very easy to setup... I still need to put up my 106" Elite screen, but even on my Mocha colored wall it looks great... Once I get the screen put up I may need to tweek it. So I maybe asking more questions later...
post #35 of 56 Old 02-06-08, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hi BD and welcome to the Shack!

Congrats on the new toy... I love mine.

I just read that comparison at Projector Central between the Panny and Epson... very interesting. The Panny is really holding its own.
post #36 of 56 Old 02-07-08, 08:07 AM
Shackster
BrainteeDragons

Thanks Sonnie...

Projector Central was the key to my decision to go with the PT-AE2000U. I like there reviews...

Did you have to do much in calibration? What kind of screen are you using? I'm installing a Elite EZ-Frame 106" Cinema White with a gain of 1.1. My throw distance is at 14"...
post #37 of 56 Old 02-07-08, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I believe I set it to Cinema 1 and haven't touched it.

I use a painted drywall screen... Misty Evening Gray, but plan on changing that to our new Black Widow PFG pretty soon. I'm at 12' TD.
post #38 of 56 Old 02-08-08, 09:35 AM
Shackster
BrainteeDragons

I was going to use the Goo System for a paint on screen, but after talking to different people (HT Installers) and reading different reviews. I decided to go with a screen... One of the big problems I had if I went with a painted screen was that my walls were not perfect... Too many reviews and people have said that if the walls is uneven or bumps, the painted screen would make the picture worse...

So I decided to go with a fixed screen... Electric screen was an option, but the package deal was right with the fixed frame...

My Basement/Man Cave is 44' x 14' (L x W)... The room is broken up to 3 parts. First third is the HT, the second is Poker Table and small game tables. The last part is my pool table... Needless to say, we watch sporting events as much as we watch movies... Lighting is controlled in the 3 zones so that is not a problem...

Just found out that my HDMI cable is bad so I have to order a new 25'-35' HDMI to replace it... Bummer... Still works with Conponent, but not the same Aspect modes...
post #39 of 56 Old 02-09-08, 12:19 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

You'll see waves in an untensioned pull down screen easier than small imperfections in the walls IMO.

I have some small imperfections on my walls, that I can easily see up close, but aren't noticeable from 10' away on a 115" screen..
I could probably find them if I went up to the screen, located them, and then KNEW EXACTLY where to look, but thats like begging for someone to show you what DLP Rainbow effects look like, so you can see them anytime you want to.

I don't go searching for them.

JMO
post #40 of 56 Old 02-10-08, 12:03 PM
Shackster
BrainteeDragons

Thanks Muzz,

Orignally wanted the paint on screens because of my 11 yr old and 9 yr old kids... I though it would be easier to maintain with the 2 kids. But the package deal with the screen was the same price as getting the Goo System.

The Elite Ez-Frame was very quick to put togather and mount... The frame itself looks nice too...

Next I need to do is mount my front and center speakers...