Are 7' ceilings too low? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 08-10-08, 07:44 PM
Shackster
keith from canada

Re: Are 7' ceilings too low?

Quote:
Tonysac14 wrote: View Post
My contractor is studding the walls in my basement as we speak for a new theater room. However, the ceilings (beacuse of pipes) will only be 7 feet tall. Will this cause problems when mouting my new PT-ae2000 from the ceiling? I am onlt looking to install a 92-96" screen.
DLP would be a problem. LCD is not. Unfortunately, DLP hasn't gotten around to offering lens shifting in their lower-priced models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-16-08, 02:50 PM
southsound

I didn't have any problem with ceiling height, but I was unwilling to mount our PJ low enough to avoid our ceiling fan. And of course, since sleeping in our barn is not a valid option, WAF was very important as well.

My solution was to cabinet mount the PJ. We installed our Sharp XR-30X in a furniture grade cabinet between our recliners. It sits on a shelf in that cabinet which allows about a 6" x 20" gap behind the projector and the area under the shelf is completely open - again, about 6" x 20". I installed 2 extremely quiet 12V fans to draw air in from the front and force it up behind the projector. The PJ exhausts out through the front, so the air path works well. My infrared thermometer tells me that the PJ is well within spec temps. The cabinet is great because when the door is closed, the projector is completely hidden - but when we want to watch a movie, all we need to do is open the door.

In the first month of use, we had several ocassions when I forgot to turn on the fans - leaving only natural convection and the draw of the PJ's fans for cooling - and the temp went way up. The difference was so great that I installed a switch on the door to automatically start the fans whenever the door was open - just in case we forgot.

The cabinet option won't work for everyone, but it works great for us.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-16-08, 09:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Good choice on the glass top too so no worries about rings left by condensate on your ice cold beverage.

Are there holes on the back of the unit or bottom of the shelf for the projector's intake air? How do the fans get air to or away from the projector when they are sitting at the bottom? IMO it would be better to cut 120mm holes in the rear behind the projector and mount the fans inside at the back. Also if you were to close it while the projector was on would the fans turn off? Could you have just hooked the fans up to the 12v trigger on the projector?

post #14 of 18 Old 08-17-08, 09:48 AM
southsound

Actually, the picture might be deceptive - the shelf only goes part way back. The shelf only goes part way back - there is a 6" x 20" opening behind the projector so the air is forced up from behind where the PJ's air intake is. The airflow is greater than the PJ's air intake needs, so the excess air bathes the PJ as it flows around it. It even keeps the projector's case at only a few degrees higher than ambient room temp.

I chose not to cut holes in the finished back of the cabinet because the back is visible from the area behind the recliners. When closed the cabinet looks just line a piece of nice furniture. Even the power and video cables are hidden as they enter the floor and travel across our crawl space to the built-in equipment rack.

So far I haven't spaced out and left the PJ on and closed the doors. I don't think the fans would do much more than make it a convection oven. Gotta be careful on that one.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-23-08, 04:21 PM
Shackster
foraye

My System

I have that exact set up here is a pic...

What I did to keep my eyes from wandering towards the ceiling was to cover the HVAC dicts and screen wall with black felt. WIth a movie running and lights off everything disappears including my speakers.

My Build Thread
post #16 of 18 Old 12-29-10, 08:39 AM
Shackster
Ted

Have you explored moving the pipes, to gain head room? Seven foot high is enough, but more is always better. If there's a second row of seating, you can burn through the vertical space fast.

Or if you have some length, how about some loungers for the front row?
post #17 of 18 Old 01-08-11, 09:40 AM
Shackster

My ceiling is currently 7' tall. I plan to shorten that a little with flooring and ceiling changes. I plan to build a dead vent in the center of the rear wall, leaving a shelf on top of it and place my projector on that. Room size is small, about 11' wide, 13-15' deep, 6'9" high.

I need to make 5 posts before my picture shows up.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-12-11, 09:13 AM
Shackster

Exclamation Re: Are 7' ceilings too low?

Quote:
southsound wrote: View Post
I didn't have any problem with ceiling height, but I was unwilling to mount our PJ low enough to avoid our ceiling fan. And of course, since sleeping in our barn is not a valid option, WAF was very important as well.

My solution was to cabinet mount the PJ. We installed our Sharp XR-30X in a furniture grade cabinet between our recliners. It sits on a shelf in that cabinet which allows about a 6" x 20" gap behind the projector and the area under the shelf is completely open - again, about 6" x 20". I installed 2 extremely quiet 12V fans to draw air in from the front and force it up behind the projector. The PJ exhausts out through the front, so the air path works well. My infrared thermometer tells me that the PJ is well within spec temps. The cabinet is great because when the door is closed, the projector is completely hidden - but when we want to watch a movie, all we need to do is open the door.

In the first month of use, we had several ocassions when I forgot to turn on the fans - leaving only natural convection and the draw of the PJ's fans for cooling - and the temp went way up. The difference was so great that I installed a switch on the door to automatically start the fans whenever the door was open - just in case we forgot.

The cabinet option won't work for everyone, but it works great for us.

Nicely done! I like your idea for those whom have a problem with placement.

Otay Ranch, CA.
-Denon 1910
-SONY BD
-DefTech BP7006
-DefTech 2002CLR
-DefTEch BP1.2X
-Coming soon... Oppo BDP-93

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.