Are 7' ceilings too low? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 01-03-08, 09:58 AM
Tonysac14
Inactive

Are 7' ceilings too low?

My contractor is studding the walls in my basement as we speak for a new theater room. However, the ceilings (beacuse of pipes) will only be 7 feet tall. Will this cause problems when mouting my new PT-ae2000 from the ceiling? I am onlt looking to install a 92-96" screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-03-08, 10:20 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

re: Are 7' ceilings too low?

I assume you meant 7', not 7"

First off, 7' might not be code for some areas for a finished basement. Your contractor should know the local rules, but it may not hurt to check.

My basement is 7' 6" and I have a 92" screen on a long wall with about an 8-10' or so viewing distance. Projector is 18' from the screen (Sanyo PLV-Z4).

I wouldn't worry about the problems in throw and screen size. I would worry more about people blocking the light from the screen and hitting their heads on the projector. If those are clear, you should be fine.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-03-08, 10:23 AM
Tonysac14
Inactive

7', is correct, not 7". That would pretty impressive a seven inch theater room...

Would I be better off placing the projector in a cabinet?

post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-08, 09:51 AM
Thomato
Inactive

I was faced with the same problem. Mounting my Projector on the ceiling was gonna be scary when some of my 6' + friends came over. So what I did instead of buying a mount, I built a open sided box to put the projector in. That way if something does get bumped, it wont be the projector itself.

The box is not intrusive at all ...The room is 22' ft long. The projector is mounted 14' back from the screen...So the back row and even the front row can stand up without being in the way. My first intention was to mount it on a the back wall.....But it would have been a big problem when someone stood up.

Hope this helps.

David
post #5 of 18 Old 01-18-08, 10:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

my ceiling is 8' in height. Now I have a drop down ceiling mount that is about 1' lower making it 7' (ruffly) and to me its no issue. I had to go low because my PJ is shooting below a ceiling fan. See here (hope this helps):

post #6 of 18 Old 08-05-08, 02:06 PM
Senior Shackster

tmack

any projector with lens shift will handle that problem.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-08-08, 09:23 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Quote:
Tonysac14 wrote: View Post
Will this cause problems when mouting my new PT-ae2000 from the ceiling? I am onlt looking to install a 92-96" screen.
Is that 92-96 diagonal or width? Also, what are the dimensions of your room?

I read a review of the projector. Congrats, sounds like you've got an awesome product! Based on the review (http://www.projectorcentral.com/pana..._projector.htm), I think it's time to do some calculations. It has a large zoom range 2x. While that gives you more flexibility in room placement, it comes at a cost of brightness if you mount it far from the screen. You'll lose as much as 40%.

The wide range of lens shift works in your favor. You'll be able to snug it up to the ceiling (providing recommended ventilation) and adjust the image vertically as needed.

It looks like you're faced with some compromises.

Mounting as close to the screen as possible-
Advantages: Brighter image, less chance of image blocked when people stand up.
Disadvantages: Projector more vulnerable to being bumped by tall friends.

Mounting projector as far from the screen as possible, the reverse of above.

Doug
post #8 of 18 Old 08-08-08, 02:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

In my area 6'-6" is the minimum allowable finished ceiling height. I think mine are that under the bulkhead and 7'-6" everywhere else. 7' will feel pretty low especially if you're tall. Ceiling fans and track or suspended lighting could be dangerously close to head level. are you putting in pot lights?

I had to mount my projector against a bulkhead so I put it on a shelf rather than a mount. You can buy low profile mounts (or adjustable height ones) that will bring it closer to the ceiling. The one thing you have to be careful about it proper ventilation though. Building boxes can block airflow.

post #9 of 18 Old 08-09-08, 10:51 PM
Senior Shackster

tmack

Re: Are 7' ceilings too low?

matrix,

I would install a hush box with vents on your setup. It would hide the projector and give your room the hide away look of the retail theaters.

Last edited by tbase1; 08-23-08 at 08:15 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-10-08, 12:58 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Re: Are 7' ceilings too low?

I did think about a hush box...but budget and time constraints nixed that idea. I will eventually build one. My original plan was to have a semi-sealed design and use some photographic quality glass and build in some active cooling by using a small computer power supply (switched by the 12v trigger) with some low dB fans attached to some ABS pipe. It would have been sweet but alas the WAF plays to big a role in my endeavors. I'm still waiting to get approval to buy doors for my room.