Cinemascope - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 130
Cinemascope

Hey guys, can anyone steer me in the right path to a good entry level projector that is capable of widescreen?
Heath Cunningham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Alan Brown's Avatar
Alan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 338
Re: Cinemascope

It depends on what you mean by "entry level," and "capable of widescreen." Please be more specific.
Alan Brown is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 12:46 PM
Elite Shackster
 
rab-byte's Avatar
Mr. Rabbit
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,320
Are you looking for anamorphic aspect ratio correction or is masking fine?
rab-byte is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 12:59 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tonyvdb's Avatar
Tony
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Can
Posts: 15,054
My System
Re: Cinemascope

The Panasonic AE8000 (or any of the last few generations) is the only projector that auto zooms the image to fit 2,35:1 screens however most projectors you can manually zoom the lens if you have placed it correctly.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

tonyvdb is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 02:02 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Alan Brown's Avatar
Alan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 338
Lightbulb Re: Cinemascope

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The Panasonic AE8000 (or any of the last few generations) is the only projector that auto zooms the image to fit 2,35:1 screens however most projectors you can manually zoom the lens if you have placed it correctly.
I don't know what you mean by "auto zooms," but the JVC D-ILA projectors have lens memories like the Panasonics, as well as the internal digital image processing for anamorphic lens use.
Alan Brown is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
Alan Brown wrote: View Post
It depends on what you mean by "entry level," and "capable of widescreen." Please be more specific.
kinda on the more cheaper side, rather than over say 10 thousand.
Heath Cunningham is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
Are you looking for anamorphic aspect ratio correction or is masking fine?
I was hoping to get away with anamorphic, I'm happy to have black bars to the side on the odd occasion, most movies these days are all filmed in wide screen, I guess I'm just sick of black bares top and bottom, CinemaScope seems nicer on the eyes too I think
Heath Cunningham is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
The Panasonic AE8000 (or any of the last few generations) is the only projector that auto zooms the image to fit 2,35:1 screens however most projectors you can manually zoom the lens if you have placed it correctly.
thanks mate, that's the sort I'm after, I'll have to look into them, I've also done a little bit of fishing and i think there is a jvc and an Epson that are capable.
Heath Cunningham is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 08-03-14, 09:07 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Alan Brown's Avatar
Alan
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 338
Lightbulb Re: Cinemascope

Quote:
Heath Cunningham wrote: View Post
thanks mate, that's the sort I'm after, I'll have to look into them, I've also done a little bit of fishing and i think there is a jvc and an Epson that are capable.
I recommend the lower models of JVC D-ILAs over the Panasonic or Epson LCDs. Get the best model you can afford. Most of the JVCs are under $10k. I actually prefer single chip DLP, but they tend to get pricey with sufficient lens zoom and vertical lens shift to do a CinemaScope screen without an anamorphic lens.
Alan Brown is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 08-04-14, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 130
Quote:
Alan Brown wrote: View Post
I recommend the lower models of JVC D-ILAs over the Panasonic or Epson LCDs. Get the best model you can afford. Most of the JVCs are under $10k. I actually prefer single chip DLP, but they tend to get pricey with sufficient lens zoom and vertical lens shift to do a CinemaScope screen without an anamorphic lens.
thanks Allan, I'll start looking into them, I'm hoping the stores will give me a good demo,
Heath Cunningham is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cinemascope

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome