Why are projector lamps so expensive and is there a DIY solution? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 15 Old 03-06-11, 02:06 AM
MasterCATZ

Re: Why are projector lamps so expensive and is there a DIY solution?

has anyone tried Converting from LAMP over to HID ?? ( instead of LED )

instead of paying out $400 every 3000 hrs when a 100 watt LAMP dies
I am thinking of trying to throw in an 50w HID

the HID's are 1/20th the price and around the same brightness and last 10x longer

any thoughts on this ?

I figured you can get HID tourches pretty cheaply also and they do pump out the candle power ,,,
make inside the enclosure a little more reflective and it should help even out the brightness levels
( maybe bounce around on some mirrors ? )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 03-06-11, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Ben

Actually, I have moved on from Front Projection. PDP's have come way down so I went with a 65" for $2400. I sold my trusty old IN72 over a year ago for $500 and had replaced that with a Mitsubishi HC6500, which was awesome but I have that sale pending for around $2000 installed. The costs offset my plasma and I don't have to deal with keeping the room dark or counting lamp hours anymore.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-06-11, 07:27 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Well I am not a electronic technician nor do I have any specials skills in the area but to change out a lamp by replaceing the bulb only in most cases is not difficult at all. I have done it a few times now and while you need to be carefull and do as suggested, wear gloves and be carefull to get the correct bulb, it is not a hard thing to do. Some cages are harder to get apart and some may be impossible without breaking them but most don't fall into that category so if you take your time and use precautions it is the best way to save some money.

post #14 of 15 Old 03-06-11, 09:02 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
MasterCATZ wrote: View Post
has anyone tried Converting from LAMP over to HID ?? ( instead of LED )

instead of paying out $400 every 3000 hrs when a 100 watt LAMP dies
I am thinking of trying to throw in an 50w HID

the HID's are 1/20th the price and around the same brightness and last 10x longer

any thoughts on this ?

I figured you can get HID tourches pretty cheaply also and they do pump out the candle power ,,,
make inside the enclosure a little more reflective and it should help even out the brightness levels
( maybe bounce around on some mirrors ? )
The spectrum will be different, and there are a number of other engineering considerations that would need to be dealt with before making the decision as to whether the trade-off is worthwhile. The lower output alone would be enough to make it uninteresting to me, even if the spectral issues were not severe.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-06-11, 05:04 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Most projector lamps are Metal Halide and are high intensity discharge (HID). They are typically very bright and were made to be color neutral to give the best movie watching experience. They are also typically in and around 200 Watts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_halide_lamp

Using a lower wattage, non purpose built bulb would not have a very good outcome. It would most like blow out very quickly and/or damage the ballast. Figure the ballast is going to fire at the same rate with the same intensity.

LED is the bright future, considering the bulbs will, most likely, outlast the projector.