Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Theater Projectors (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-projectors/)
-   -   Home Theater/Gaming Projector (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-projectors/138009-home-theater-gaming-projector.html)

scparrish 12-10-15 04:42 PM

Home Theater/Gaming Projector

Well as of late I have really been thinking about stepping up from my Sharp 70 LC-70SQ15U.

I have read a lot on forums and quite a bit on the projector review sites. Any pointers or recommendations are appreciated.

Below are a list of things that I would like to projector to do well and overcome:
Low input lag
Overcome some ambient lighting, 2 large windows and a set of french doors allow some light even with blinds.
Good for viewing Blu Rays and other HD material, decent black levels.
Seating distance will range from 12-17 feet. This is a large living room
The projector will be ceiling mounted 14-16 feet away from the wall it will project on.
Aiming for 120" picture

Options I have been considerig:
1. Panasonic PT-ae8000u, older model, picture quality?
2. Sony VPL-HW40ES, is it really brighter than the first Sony?
3. Sony VPL-HW55ES, is it bright enough? This one is a maybe due to the higher price. Would really like to compare to decide if it's "worth it"

Thanks for any input ahead of time. I will likely be looking for a screen to go with after I get the initial projector picked out.

tonyvdb 12-10-15 04:49 PM

Re: Home Theater/Gaming Projector

I can only speak for the Panasonc AE8000u. I have one and it is fantastic for movies, Watched the Canadian CFL Grey cup final on it a couple weeks ago (like the Superbowl but smaller) and it was fantastic. I run a 120" screen and had lighting on in the room and it was plenty bright.

scparrish 12-10-15 04:58 PM

I assumed the picture would be plenty good. After reading the comparison reviews out there, which I take with a grain of salt, they had me questioning its' capabilities.

ellisr63 12-10-15 05:27 PM

Quote:

scparrish wrote: (Post 1346025)
I assumed the picture would be plenty good. After reading the comparison reviews out there, which I take with a grain of salt, they had me questioning its' capabilities.

I am running the AE8000 with a 195" scope screen (dedicated Theater), and the picture is great. I use it for browsing the internet, movies, and Xbox one/PS3 racing games, and it is fine.

scparrish 12-10-15 05:50 PM

I primarily play call of duty and I could tell a noticeable difference in input lag when I went from an old plasma to my sharp led. So have decently low input lag is important to me.

73shark 12-13-15 09:46 PM

I just got a Sony HW40ES to replace my ViewSonic Pro8100. As good as the Pro8100 was, the Sony is even better.

scparrish 12-15-15 03:00 PM

I am a little concerned making the dive into a projector from a TV in the living room. I really hope I get this right the first time.

drummerboy1962 07-18-16 02:02 AM

I use a 1080i projector for gaming being the Yamaha DPX 530 which I have had for years and I experience no lag at all. When I upgrade to a JVC x9000 or something of the like,I will still keep the Yamaha for gaming duties.Sometimes the image can look a little washed out in brighter light but with the lights out it still looks great. Sony are making some nice projectors now as is Optoma and JVC but I don't know what they would be like for gaming.

HatlessChimp 11-02-16 10:50 AM

Quote:

drummerboy1962 wrote: (Post 1476769)
I use a 1080i projector for gaming being the Yamaha DPX 530 which I have had for years and I experience no lag at all. When I upgrade to a JVC x9000 or something of the like,I will still keep the Yamaha for gaming duties.Sometimes the image can look a little washed out in brighter light but with the lights out it still looks great. Sony are making some nice projectors now as is Optoma and JVC but I don't know what they would be like for gaming.

Dont go a JVC. I had one and the input lag was terrible but for movies its amazing. I now have the Epson 9300 / 6040ub to play games on and movies. It pretty good. I tested tge input lag and made a couple videos for people to check out.

Gaming is insane on it - Battlefield 1 on PC

travi_74 11-02-16 11:27 AM

Agree with HatlessChimp.

JVC's are generally black-level champs (so its no surprise they output a lovely picture), but have a higher input lag compared to other brands.

The Epsons are fairly good in that regard. I had the Epson 8700UB that I occasionally gamed on, and never felt any lag.
The Sony's are also better than JVC for gaming, but not as quick as the Epson's, IMO.