Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here? - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 01:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System
Re: Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here?

First off, thank you, but that's a bit to much info, lol. My system sounds great, i personally like to tweak the snare drum up just a bit, and also need to adjust the voices, some just don't sound right. So would you happen to know which of these frequencies i would try, and for what that particular frequency is for. I didnt see any charts for snare drums on that link, again thank you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 01:28 PM
Banned!

I'm not super familiar with MACC, so maybe some pio owners can jump in here, but I'd say start with a fresh MACC calibration with the included mic. Make sure that any playing around with speakre placement or acoustic treatments is done before this step.

From there, if the EQ adjustments won't affect other MACC settings, you can EQ to your delight:

Snare Drum: 100 Hz to 12 kHz, center frequency at 1 kHz, tight at 5-6 kHz (typical boost frequency), crack at 8 to 10 kHz, bottom at 100 to 300 Hz and resonance between 800 Hz and 2 kHz. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id12.html
post #93 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 01:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
I'm not super familiar with MACC, so maybe some pio owners can jump in here, but I'd say start with a fresh MACC calibration with the included mic. Make sure that any playing around with speakre placement or acoustic treatments is done before this step.

From there, if the EQ adjustments won't affect other MACC settings, you can EQ to your delight:

Snare Drum: 100 Hz to 12 kHz, center frequency at 1 kHz, tight at 5-6 kHz (typical boost frequency), crack at 8 to 10 kHz, bottom at 100 to 300 Hz and resonance between 800 Hz and 2 kHz. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id12.html
Thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.

post #94 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 01:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Great link, thank you..

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #95 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 03:10 PM
Banned!

You're welcome.
post #96 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 03:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Yeah i listened to it, as it goes i have that same PB-12 NSD sub hooked to my center channel, I also have two of the SVS PC-13 ultras in my system, so as you can imagine i have plenty of bass power. I just got through tweaking from that earth-link link you put up and WOW i can really hear the difference with just a bit of tweaking. By any chance would you happen to have any more links say for a classic rock listener? Such as vocals. Again, I thank you for your expertise.

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.
post #97 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 05:00 PM
Banned!

I just got that one with some googling. I tend to shoot for flat response and trust the e/a/p.
post #98 of 131 Old 12-14-11, 05:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

I've just made some improvement to voice reproduction using MCACC..
Like instruments..voices cover a whole frequency range as well..and there can also be excessive sibilance, which I find very annoying..
To get better emphasis and projection of voices I boosted the 250 and 500 Hz. levels by 1.5dB..from what MCACC had set..
To reduce sibilance, I lowered the 4K and 8K levels by 1.5dB..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #99 of 131 Old 12-15-11, 09:05 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

1. What model do you have?

I am currently using an Elite VSX21-THX as my primary receiver in my HT. I also have an older Pioneer VSX1016 that I am using to power bass shakers... and in my home gym we have a very basic VSX521 that manages our cable and DVD player in coordination with a small TV and 4 speakers.

2. What are your likes/dis-likes of your receiver?

Really like the VSX21-THX. Does everything I need and seems to have enough power to go to the highest level that we find comfortable. My biggest frustration with the receiver is the documentation for the MCACC. The amount of info in the manual itself is sparse and poorly presented if you want to use advanced options (not to mention there is a separate more detailed "PC software" manual that you have to download --- why they didn't include some of that info with the original manual, IDK). Hand-in-hand with that complaint is the customer support for MCACC. I recently had a question for them... I had 3 reps that couldn't answer my question and finally through an email exchange (where the emailing rep took a few days to hook up a unit and run some tests) was I able to get an answer. His answer was well written and presented --- much better than the manual... but, geese, it took days to get that far with them. Saying that you can call customer support and get an expert answer is far from the truth!

Aside from that little rant , I am very happy with the VSX21.

I purchased the VSX21 because my old Pioneer VSX1016 couldn't decode the newer codecs and had limited HDMI capabilities. It was a solid receiver, though, but as technology improved it became evident that buying the VSX21 was a good move!

The VSX521 is brand new. Honestly, it doesn't have very many options (for example, I wanted to hook my old DVD player up to it via component and run sound via optical... in the end, I couldn't do it. The only way possible was to run component with RCA cables for sound). So, some little things like that are kind of annoying. Also, the MCACC is very stripped down in terms of features (not that I needed a ton of those features for my home gym setting). All that being said, I got the receiver using AMEX points and I only needed something very basic. After a few glitches, everything is up and running and I'm happy with it.

3. How many Pio receivers have you owned and have you ever owned different brands before going to Pioneer?

All-in-all, I've owned three Pioneer receivers. Prior to that I had owned Kenwood and Onkyo receivers.
post #100 of 131 Old 12-15-11, 10:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Don

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
I've just made some improvement to voice reproduction using MCACC..
Like instruments..voices cover a whole frequency range as well..and there can also be excessive sibilance, which I find very annoying..
To get better emphasis and projection of voices I boosted the 250 and 500 Hz. levels by 1.5dB..from what MCACC had set..
To reduce sibilance, I lowered the 4K and 8K levels by 1.5dB..
I hope you dont mind, but im gonna copy this down and give it a try on the next movie that the X-curve wont fix, thank you, Don..

So far,
this is the oldest
i've ever been.