Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 131 Old 03-27-08, 08:07 AM
Roy

Re: Are there any Pioneer receiver owners here?

I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV, why use the preouts? I get my audio from the HDMI outputs from my HDDVD and Bluray players. I too am impressed overall with the quality, I ended up upgrading my speakers to some Paradigms v.5 after getting this receiver, realizing I had been missing more than I thought. Granted, none of my last receivers were chopped liver (Denon and Harman/Kardon) but other than the setup screen, I enjoy this receiver. For $525, I couldn't find a better deal. Didn't like the overall look of the Onkyo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 131 Old 04-04-08, 09:22 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
thajones wrote: View Post
I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV, why use the preouts? I get my audio from the HDMI outputs from my HDDVD and Bluray players. I too am impressed overall with the quality, I ended up upgrading my speakers to some Paradigms v.5 after getting this receiver, realizing I had been missing more than I thought. Granted, none of my last receivers were chopped liver (Denon and Harman/Kardon) but other than the setup screen, I enjoy this receiver. For $525, I couldn't find a better deal. Didn't like the overall look of the Onkyo.
I also have this reciever and I have a question for you. When you are choosing lossless audio such as True HD on HD dvd how do you have your HD player and Pioneer set up. I set my HDdvd player to output PCM through HDMI and then have my Pioneer set to Direct mode. Is that correct or am I wrong?
post #13 of 131 Old 04-04-08, 12:39 PM
Roy

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
I also have this reciever and I have a question for you. When you are choosing lossless audio such as True HD on HD dvd how do you have your HD player and Pioneer set up. I set my HDdvd player to output PCM through HDMI and then have my Pioneer set to Direct mode. Is that correct or am I wrong?
Both my bluray and HDDVD are set to PCM. The Pioneer...if you mean direct, with no processing, I do have 7.1 so it's always set to Dolby IIx - unless the movie was 6.1 or 7.1, then it just says "PCM" instead of "PCM + IIx" All 7 speakers light up on Xmen III. What's weird is - my Toshiba A2 will show "96khz + IIx" but the bluray will not (Samsung BD-P1400). I hate that bluray won, my A2 behaves SO much better than my Sammy.

I will look to double-check if i have a specific setting of "Direct" on it. I do have the oversampling on, phase correction off...hmm, now I gotta really look at my settings

Last edited by thajones; 04-04-08 at 12:46 PM.

post #14 of 131 Old 04-04-08, 02:03 PM
Cones
Inactive

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and was browsing through today's new posts.

I have a Pioneer VSX-LX70 AV Receiver. (I think our model numbers are a little different to yours here in the U.K.)

I have had it about a month now and it has replaced my long standing Yamaha DSP-AX1.

So far I am very pleased with it. The auto setup has helped the system get the most out of my reasonably small room. The overall sound is brighter than the AX1. It sounds like I have gone out and bought new speakers.

The Sub integration seem to work better for me as well with both movies and two channel stereo working well. The AX1 did not work well with the sub for music at all and I often turned the sub off altogether. Not so with the Pioneer.

It works well with my PS3 as a Blu-ray player.

I did do a quick check of the auto level setting with my RS SPL meter and they were pretty much spot on maybe a 0.5db tweek to a couple of channels would bring it a fraction closer. The speaker distances were perfect.

I like the way the ipod integrates with the unit with a good OSD. The cable even comes in the box which I wasn't expecting.

I'm now going through all my old movies and music collections like they were brand new. It's great.

Thanks

Mark
post #15 of 131 Old 04-04-08, 03:06 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
thajones wrote: View Post
Both my bluray and HDDVD are set to PCM. The Pioneer...if you mean direct, with no processing, I do have 7.1 so it's always set to Dolby IIx - unless the movie was 6.1 or 7.1, then it just says "PCM" instead of "PCM + IIx" All 7 speakers light up on Xmen III. What's weird is - my Toshiba A2 will show "96khz + IIx" but the bluray will not (Samsung BD-P1400). I hate that bluray won, my A2 behaves SO much better than my Sammy.

I will look to double-check if i have a specific setting of "Direct" on it. I do have the oversampling on, phase correction off...hmm, now I gotta really look at my settings
I have direct and pure direct choices so I usually use direct because I thought if you use any kind of processing at the reciever it messes with the true hd from the HD dvd player but I could be wrong. On some discs my XA2 also shows 96khs + IIx but I thought that was for dts but again I am not positive. I am not complaining about the sound because it is fantastic I was just curious as to how you set your's up.
post #16 of 131 Old 04-07-08, 04:10 AM
Shackster

rudra

Mate,

I live down under(Australia). I have the VSX-2016(equivalent to a VSX-81TXV). Before this I owned a VSX-510. Have been happy with both the purchase. They are good value for money.
post #17 of 131 Old 04-07-08, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Now that this thread is getting somewhere, I would like to extend my thanks to all who have replied. Maybe this could become an official Pioneer receiver owners thread some day. Never the less, this thread has confirmed my feelings towards my receiver, while not the best in the Pioneer line up it has served me very well. When I bought mine in 2006 I knew I was going to up grade it in another few years when the HDMI 1.3v became the norm.

hyghwayman
P.S. Keep the question and answers coming everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

F.S. SB13-Ultra

post #18 of 131 Old 06-07-08, 06:58 PM
Shackster
M

I think that Pioneer Electronics makes good quality and affordable receivers. I have a VSX-1014TX and have powered Polk LSi speakers with it. The MCACC feature is nice to optimize the sound to the main listener - me.

I also have a smaller and relatively inexpensive Pioneer VSX-515K receiver which works well with some Polk RTi speakers in my master bedroom for home theater and music.
post #19 of 131 Old 06-08-08, 05:48 PM
deek_keed
Inactive

Hello, this is my first post.

I have model VSX-1017TXV-K. It is replacing a small Onkyo 5.1 AV receiver we have had for a few years. We picked it up as a close out for $131 and we are very happy with it. the sound quality and channel separation seem a lot more defined than the Onkyo did.

I have a Pioneer Dolby pro logic receiver thats 8 years old and a cd player that are still going strong in my garage.
post #20 of 131 Old 06-21-08, 10:56 AM
JohninCt
Inactive

I am new here also, I have a Pioneer VSX-72 TXV receiver which I have been very happy with, I had a Pioneer 54 before it. Now I am thinking of getting a newer reciever with the Upconversion of video to 1080, but real hard to decide which one and if I should stay with Pioneer, such as the VSX 92 or VSX 94 models, or move to another brand. I want to stay under the $900 range and with some careful shopping on the net, it can be done. I like some of the specs on other units, but find the drop in power on the Pioneers when using all 7 channels is annoying. The Onyko seems to stand up the best on high power, I guess that is why the 50 pound weight of the TX-SR805 model receiver, big power supplys. I never cared too much for Onyko products in the past and am leary of going that route. The Yamaha 1800 seems to be all around decent, but seems lacking in some respects, the Denons seem to have weak video processing. Very hard decision to make and I guess all of us have gone through it. I could just get a newer DVDO (mine only converts up to 480P) and leave everything else alone, but I sure would like to get rid of some wires and less equipment. But it seems, the only 2 things I am upconverting is the VCR tapes and my 4DTV Sat signal (which is fairly important as I watch it quite often), as I have the Samsung OTA HDTV tuner, and the Panasonic DVR with 1080 upconversion. I'm not interested in a HD-DVD Blu-ray player yet.