Stand Alone Sub Amp - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Stand Alone Sub Amp

Guys I am looking around for a great sounding sub amp that isn't too expensive. I would like at least 250W sustained at 8 ohms mono. I could use up to 800W RMS, but I never listen loud enough for that. What would be your choice for a nice transparent sounding mono amp that isn't too expensive? I want a standalone amplifier. Hopefully for under 500 bucks. Cheaper is better though lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 01:08 PM
Inactive

My System
Re: Stand Alone Sub Amp

Dayton SA1000 ($349.90, shipped, at parts-express.com). It puts out 497 watts into 8 ohms.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
Dayton SA1000 ($349.90, shipped, at parts-express.com). It puts out 497 watts into 8 ohms.
Thanks for the reply! Have you compared it to any others?

post #4 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 07:30 PM
Inactive

My System

No, I haven't done any comparisons. But it's a solid amp.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
eljay wrote: View Post
No, I haven't done any comparisons. But it's a solid amp.
Awesome. I read about it and it looks solid. It's about the right price to be solid, too. 500W RMS will slam in my room. I'm currently using my small PA sub I built. It is a Peavey Low Rider 15" with F3 at about 33Hz. I never use it because it's too small, so it is now temporarilly in my home theater. It sounds nice actually. The only thing is that it injects a little warmth into the mix. I am happy until I build what I want, though!
post #6 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 09:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Steeve B.

If you don't mind the extra hassle of going from unbalanced signal to balanced you could get an Inuke DSP1000 for a little less money and you would get the DSP function with it. For more money (but still less than the dayton SA1000) you could also go for the inuke dsp 3000 which is more futur proof (but currently overkill for what you ask). You seem's to be comming from a DJ world so I beleive you know how these work and how to connect them.

Also don't be fooled by the fact that they are Behringer amp. I do know that in the DJ/PA world these amp are not well regarded but for home theater use they are perfectly fine and work really well.

The two main issue are the different signal required and the fan noise that can be fixed by putting the amp away in a closet or another room or by swapping the fan for a quiet one.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Steeve-O wrote: View Post
If you don't mind the extra hassle of going from unbalanced signal to balanced you could get an Inuke DSP1000 for a little less money and you would get the DSP function with it. For more money (but still less than the dayton SA1000) you could also go for the inuke dsp 3000 which is more futur proof (but currently overkill for what you ask). You seem's to be comming from a DJ world so I beleive you know how these work and how to connect them.

Also don't be fooled by the fact that they are Behringer amp. I do know that in the DJ/PA world these amp are not well regarded but for home theater use they are perfectly fine and work really well.

The two main issue are the different signal required and the fan noise that can be fixed by putting the amp away in a closet or another room or by swapping the fan for a quiet one.
I am currently using an XTI 1000 bridged giving 1000W RMS to my sub. I want something made for home audio though. I have read about the behringer iNukes. They are not able to sustain the power they claim except in a peak. But, I have heard they are pretty good if you get larger than you need.

I do a lot of large system design for PA systems and know about PA amps. I don't know much about home theater stuff though. My friend has some NAD amps he got off of ebay and they sound very dynamic and beautiful.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 10:35 PM
Senior Shackster
Steeve B.

Well PA amp are usually a better bang for buck but if this is not what you are looking for there are many HT made subwoofer amp. Emotivia make some nice one but they are quite expensive but apparently they sound great and look to be well built. They also look nice which can be a plus if you don't hide it in a closet.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-08-14, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Steeve-O wrote: View Post
Well PA amp are usually a better bang for buck but if this is not what you are looking for there are many HT made subwoofer amp. Emotivia make some nice one but they are quite expensive but apparently they sound great and look to be well built. They also look nice which can be a plus if you don't hide it in a closet.
Cool! Thanks!

It is also nice to stay analogue after the receiver instead of going to digital and back to analogue again.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-28-14, 06:43 AM
Shackster

I recently order a new Crown X3000 (same specs as Crown XLi 2500) to power a pair of HT subs. It was $249. It's a two-channel amp, tho.