Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Reporting and Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 250 Old 03-13-15, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Reporting and Discussion Thread

Sonnie the prankster showed up tonight with his Oppo remote app on his iPhone, messing with the Oppo track selection while the listener trid to select and listen to tunes. After supper, the seriousness level often takes a bit of a downturn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 250 Old 03-13-15, 11:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Sonnie the prankster showed up tonight with his Oppo remote app on his iPhone, messing with the Oppo track selection while the listener trid to select and listen to tunes. After supper, the seriousness level often takes a bit of a downturn.
Haha you guys are having too much fun. Wish I could be there, even if just a fly on the wall (couldn't eat very much peach cobbler in that case though . . .)
post #13 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 12:01 AM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
The Cedar Creek Cinema is delivering the best sound I've ever heard in a home, Angie and Sonnie are the best hosts one can imagine, my listening companions are the best group of enthusiasts one could assemble for a weekend of A/V fun, Preston's ribeye was the best steak I've ever had, and Sonnie was thrashing my little Exposure into his EM-ESLs for a long time, longer than he spent with any other amp, thus far. Of course, that means he likes it best and the evaluation is now, for all intents and purposes, over and we are just going through the motions. Right? Right!

I am in the subjective camp, feeling that I can perceive small differences between most amplifiers, but also feel that these differences are largely overblown, in general. Today has confirmed that feeling, for me. Save one instance, I have not found any large differences that, blinded, I would be willing to put money against were I a betting man.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #14 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 09:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Home Theater Shack 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event Reporting and Discussion Thread

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
The Cedar Creek Cinema is delivering the best sound I've ever heard in a home, Angie and Sonnie are the best hosts one can imagine, my listening companions are the best group of enthusiasts one could assemble for a weekend of A/V fun, Preston's ribeye was the best steak I've ever had, and Sonnie was thrashing my little Exposure into his EM-ESLs for a long time, longer than he spent with any other amp, thus far. Of course, that means he likes it best and the evaluation is now, for all intents and purposes, over and we are just going through the motions. Right? Right!

I am in the subjective camp, feeling that I can perceive small differences between most amplifiers, but also feel that these differences are largely overblown, in general. Today has confirmed that feeling, for me. Save one instance, I have not found any large differences that I would be willing to put money against were I a betting man. That is the best way I can describe my take on an endeavor such as this.
Ok... then take the earplugs out and try again

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #15 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

We spent Friday getting acquainted with the amps, listening to different amp pairs seeing if we could perceive differences. Most of us believed we could hear some subtle differences in some cases. In two cases, measurements showed there were differences that could be audible.

Last night we had some fun time comparing the ESLs with the Holograms. I am surprised how much alike they sound. Both have that easy, effortless clarity about their delivery that I have grown attached to. We have driven them pretty hard, and neither has shown signs of getting tired or holding back. Both are delivering monstrous soundstage with incredibly sharp imaging.

The Holograms have been our primary detail microscope for amp evaluation. Their wide soundstagre helps separate individual sounds and lets us hear the finer points of detail.

For the most part, the differences we have perceived have been impressions, not extremely specific. Today we will have a chance to try to confirm them.

A couple of us have noted that we heard no differences in the last 2 or 3 pairings yesterday, and wonder if that was a result of fatigue. So we may reverse the order of some pairings so we are hearing those last amps from yesterday with fresher ears today.

Today we will do blind testing for differences we thought we could hear yesterday.

Lots to do, must get busy.
post #16 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 12:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I have conceded that my ears are inferior to these other guys. I literally cannot hear any differences between any of these amps thus far, even in some cases knowing there was a 2-3dB difference in a couple of the areas of the frequency response. At times I think I can hear a ever so subtle difference, but then I can't seem to repeat it with any consistency.

Being the above situation... it hardly serves any purpose for me to be a listener in the ABX blind testing round. Therefore I will be the setup guy for the blind testing. I have setup the following two amps as Amp A and Amp B:

DO NOT OPEN... DO NOT CLICK THIS BUTTON! >>>>>
Seriously? You really thought I was going to tell you what two amps they are? NOT!!!
Each of the four blind panelists will listen to X. X may be A or B ... and can be different for each panelist. After each panelist listens to X, I then switch the ABX box to Amp A. The panelist then gets to listen to Amp A and Amp B ... and can switch freely between the two amps. Each panelist will attempt to determine two things: 1. Which Amp was X ... and 2. Did they notice any differences between Amp A and Amp B. At the end of all testing... amps will be revealed and notes compared. In some cases I will pair the same two amps as yesterday so they can compare their notes from yesterday (knowing which amp was Amp A and Amp B) to their notes today (not knowing which amp was Amp A or Amp B).

Let the fun begin!
post #17 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 01:17 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

They are all scratchin' that head... I can tell I got them all tangled up and confused now.
post #18 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 01:22 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
I can say definitely that x sounds good.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #19 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
They are all scratchin' that head... I can tell I got them all tangled up and confused now.
haha... now THIS is getting interesting

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #20 of 250 Old 03-14-15, 04:22 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I've always felt there was more to be obtained with upgrading the speaker as opposed to the amp. If you have enough power to deliver the headroom, a good speaker will deliver. And treating the room is also paramount. Isn't it nice how good Sonnie's room preforms? Makes these evals better.