Outlaw 997 Announced - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 12-14-08, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: Outlaw 997 Announced

Quote:
jliedeka wrote:
The down side is you are stuck with the amplification that's in the box.

I'm in the process of building some speakers which are 4ohm. My receiver isn't rated for driving 4 ohm speakers. It may be fine or I may have to add an amplifier and demote the receiver to a pre/pro.
Right, but did you pay significantly more for the Marantz receiver than you would have for the dedicated pre/pros you were looking at? I look at it as though you are getting some amplification for free, and in some of the beefier receivers, amplification is really quite good these days. Worst case scenario, let it power your surrounds and spend more money on a beefier amp for the mains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 12-14-08, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster

thxgoon

What about those of us that just want a pre/pro? I don't see anything wrong with paying a bit more compared to a receiver. Given the laws of supply and demand they are going to be more expensive but just because it's a smaller company does not mean they will be of lesser quality. Performance of a Vette compared to Ferrari?

post #13 of 18 Old 12-15-08, 08:39 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

I guess that I'm getting confused yet again as to when and why one need a processor when it seems that these DVD players do all the sound and video processing. I would think that for a simple setup, a decendt DVD player and a pre-amp would be the only things needed (along with the amp). Can someone correct me please?

Thanks.

Bob

"There is always hope, even if it is just a fool's hope."

post #14 of 18 Old 12-15-08, 09:53 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
I guess that I'm getting confused yet again as to when and why one need a processor when it seems that these DVD players do all the sound and video processing. I would think that for a simple setup, a decendt DVD player and a pre-amp would be the only things needed (along with the amp). Can someone correct me please?

Thanks.

Bob
Hi Bob,

A good pre/pro will handle bass management better. It might also offer things like multiple processor settings per input or listening mode, etc. You're right, though -- you could do it with just a DVD player and simple preamp. But if that preamp has 5.1 inputs, it also probably provides everything else.

-- Otto
post #15 of 18 Old 12-15-08, 10:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

Hi Otto,

Thank you for your answer and could you tell me then if it's possible to get a DVD player that doesn't have all functions built in but just sends the signals to a pre/pro? (I did some quick checks with no results). I know it ridiculous on my part but it seems like such a waste of money to duplicate electronics when only utilizing one set which most likely would be the pre/pro especially if paying for high end signal processors. Again, am I getting this correct or is there some functionality that each system provides independently? Thanks for your patience and I apologize for being slow on the uptake on this one.

Bob

post #16 of 18 Old 12-15-08, 10:27 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I guess my thinking is very 5 years ago, but I still don't like having the processing done in the DVD player for some reason. I just want to believe that the receiver (or pre/pro) is the brains and is handling EVERYTHING for me... signal processing, bass management, DSP, etc. etc.

I had thought that it was still generally accepted that dedicated separates (pre/pro and amp) were able to perform better than receivers, and I was OK with that too. But I guess the new receivers coming out these days are very impressive. I don't know, there is still some appeal to separates for me, maybe because that used to be something I aspired to have one day as a significant upgrade. Either way, I still like the 997 and 7125 combo for a little system daydreaming.

- OJ -

post #17 of 18 Old 12-15-08, 11:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Bob_99 wrote: View Post
...could you tell me then if it's possible to get a DVD player that doesn't have all functions built in but just sends the signals to a pre/pro? (I did some quick checks with no results). I know it ridiculous on my part but it seems like such a waste of money to duplicate electronics when only utilizing one set which most likely would be the pre/pro especially if paying for high end signal processors.
It seems manufacturers dont seem to combine quality without all the features. You can find lost of DVD players that have little on board processing but they are also the cheep throw away ones that rarely last more than a year. The more expensive players all seem to have all the extras as well including 5 or 7.1 analogue outputs. I agree that there should be a few that are built to last without all the internal processing.

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
I guess my thinking is very 5 years ago, but I still don't like having the processing done in the DVD player for some reason. I just want to believe that the receiver (or pre/pro) is the brains and is handling EVERYTHING for me... signal processing, bass management, DSP, etc. etc.

I had thought that it was still generally accepted that dedicated separates (pre/pro and amp) were able to perform better than receivers, and I was OK with that too. But I guess the new receivers coming out these days are very impressive. I don't know, there is still some appeal to separates for me, maybe because that used to be something I aspired to have one day as a significant upgrade. Either way, I still like the 997 and 7125 combo for a little system daydreaming.
This is true for like you said 5 years ago. The DVD players usually had superior processing over receivers however in the last 2 or 3 years the manufacturers have realized the benefit to using the highest quality DACs and other components that now even in the sub $1000 receivers you will find the very best available.
Size and weight was also a consideration years back, now I have seen receivers that are taller than 10" allowing for lots of room for larger amps and internal power supplies.
A pre/pro has some advantages one of them being keeping the amps separate (less heat and possible interference) and even possible a cleaner signal path however that margin is getting smaller and smaller unless you spend allot more cash.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #18 of 18 Old 12-16-08, 08:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Bob_99

I apologize for getting off the thread with my previous questions so to get back to the original post, I looked at the 997 and like the specs but I'm not the type to roll the dice on a brand new product. I currently have the 990 and will wait a bit to see how the 997 pans out. As for separates, my reason to use them is because most of the receivers are rated for 8 ohm loads and many don't do well with 4 ohms despite the fact that some people say it will drive the lower load. And yes, they may but not for long periods of time (IMHO).

Bob